My first Subie...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on My first Subie... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I’m a new owner of a 2011 WRX. This was the last WRX in about 100 miles where I live, ...

My first Subie...

I’m a new owner of a 2011 WRX. This was the last WRX in about 100 miles where I live, so I’m glad I was able to get it. Got a great deal on the car too. $25,094 out the door.

I’m not new to modifying cars, been doing that for about 14 years, but my experience is really with muscle cars (mustangs). This is my first Subaru, first AWD, and first turbo. My last car was a 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS. I won a few car shows with the Lancer GTS and also won a national Mitsubishi contest and got to put my Lancer in the 2010 NYC auto show. Even though it was a beautiful car after I got done modifying it, it lacked the performance that I like. I went as far as I could with that car and decided it was time to upgrade.

The only thing that is really taking some getting used to is having to actually use a remote & key again, lol. My Lancer had the mitsu FAST key system. All you needed was the fob in your pocket, then to unlock the doors you just grabbed the door handle, and you also didn’t need a key to start it, just turn the ignition. But I’m sure after a while the remote & key will be second nature again.
    Last edited by sho-n-go; 08-27-2011 at 06:19 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome & congratulations on your purchase
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Welcome

welcome! what kind of questions do u have?

Good lookin ride! Welcome.

Welcome, nice ride!
    2011 SWP WRX Premium 5-door!

welcome to the club! any pics of the Lancer?
    2011 WRX Base Hatch in Obsidian Black Pearl
    Stink-Eye Mob #027
    My Car
    - Mike

Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by sho-n-go; 08-27-2011 at 06:18 AM.

Pics of my 2011 WRX:
    Last edited by sho-n-go; 08-27-2011 at 06:18 AM.

lancer looks good (not loving front plate location but it's different)!! i say de-badge and no on the wing.
    2011 WRX Base Hatch in Obsidian Black Pearl
    Stink-Eye Mob #027
    My Car
    - Mike

Quote Originally Posted by nyr8er View Post
    lancer looks good (not loving front plate location but it's different)!! i say de-badge and no on the wing.
    Thanks for the comments on the lancer.
    And thanks for the answers.

BTW - the front plate location is actually the location of the front plate on the 2008+ EVO X. They move it to the side so that it doesn't block the front mounted intercooler and so it doesn't take away from the look of the front end. Many GTS owners liked the side location better than in the center so we bought the evo x mounting kit and moved it. It did get lots of attention from NY cops that don't know the law. I was pulled over so many times because of the front plate location that I had to carry the nys vehicle law in my car so I could show them that they were wrong in thinking the side location was illegal.

Anyway, thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by sho-n-go View Post
    Thanks everyone.

A couple of easy questions...

1) What's everyone who live where it snows doing for tires in the winter? Getting snows and steelies or going with all season tires?

2) I usually de-badge, but the think the badges on the 2011 actually look pretty good. De-badge or not?

3) I don't want to try and pretend I have an STI at all, but I really do like the giant wing. What's the feeling on the STI wing on a base wrx?

Here's a pic of my old Lancer GTS:
    There is a deck lid swap thread in the local area club forums on NASIOC if you are interested in getting the spoiler. I imagine there will be someone that will trade up, lots of folks who buy STi's like the wingless look.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nyr8er View Post
    I concur.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by sho-n-go View Post
    A couple of easy questions...

1) What's everyone who live where it snows doing for tires in the winter? Getting snows and steelies or going with all season tires?

2) I usually de-badge, but the think the badges on the 2011 actually look pretty good. De-badge or not?

3) I don't want to try and pretend I have an STI at all, but I really do like the giant wing. What's the feeling on the STI wing on a base wrx?
    1) I think the consensus is snow tires on steelies among wrx owners in colder climes (like yours more than mine, but I'm planning on getting some as well when I get my sube later this year as the passes can get pretty hairy). It's the slightly pricier option as summers wear out quicker than all-weathers, but all-weathers are pretty craptastic in snow and ice.

2) I don't have mine yet, but I'm also going back and forth on this one, though having an STI wing may slightly lean me towards de-badging. If you do remove them, be sure to keep em around in case you decide to go back.

3) Just go for it! I'm not getting an STI either, but I will have one of their ginormous wings, and if anyone wants to tell me I'm a poseur or something for doing so, I'm fine with that. But the wing is staying haha.

Here's a pic of my old Lancer GTS:
    Wow, I'm not usually a fan of mitsu's looks, but your example is really clean and awesome looking! I'm looking forward to seeing how your Rex turns out after you've modded it some.

Banned
    Thinking of buying one. I currently drive a 2006 Subaru Legacy sedan. My first Subie was a 2000 Subaru Outback wagon. How does the new Forrester compare in drive and comfort to these two cars? What mpg are you getting? Are the seats a different size than the Legacy? Etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast