My first Subie... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on My first Subie... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by sho-n-go Thanks everyone. A couple of easy questions... 1) What's everyone who live where it snows doing ...

Quote Originally Posted by sho-n-go View Post
    Thanks everyone.

A couple of easy questions...

1) What's everyone who live where it snows doing for tires in the winter? Getting snows and steelies or going with all season tires?

2) I usually de-badge, but the think the badges on the 2011 actually look pretty good. De-badge or not?

3) I don't want to try and pretend I have an STI at all, but I really do like the giant wing. What's the feeling on the STI wing on a base wrx?
    1) Most people will pick up some used wheels or something cheap from Tirerack.com and throw Winters on there. You just can't beat the performance of Winter tires for poor weather. Its something All-seasons just don't compare to.

2) I'm a huge fan of debadging. Always have been. I only left my STI badge on both of my STIs. Just looks so clean

3) Nobody every really thinks negatively of swapping spoilers. Some like the look of the STI wing better than others. I personally like the STI wing or no wing at all (or trunk lip spoiler). If its what you want...then by all means, look into getting one. You won't receive negative feedback for it around here.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Did you ever consider a black WRX,since your Evo was black.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

WElcome and nice Subie

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Welcome.

Debadging is definitely a personal choice. Me - I took off the Impreza badge but left everything else (like you stated, I kinda like the way the rest look). Some like it clean. Up to you.

Same goes for the trunk. Personally, I've never been a fan of people adding visual cues to a lesser model (WRX) that are meant to signify the upper model (STI) - but that's me. If you like the look, you like the look and the swap is easy enough.

I bought my car in the winter and had bought a set of winter tires on inexpensive rims from Tirerack that the dealer installed the day I picked it up. The car is fantastic in bad conditions with winters and the AWD (I've read many a bad story about the summer tires in winter conditions). I went with decent wheels because they will be on my car for at least 4 to 5 months of the year and why accept the lame steelies look just to save a little coin. Not worth it IMO.

Have fun with your car!
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

Welcome to the club. I'm not much of a Mitsubishi fan, but I won't deny that you got a great looking Lancer.

I personally like the debadged look, but like others have said it all comes down to personnal preference when doing any type of exterior mods. The wing is in the same category, if it's something you like go for it. To me the wing has always been something that made the STI stand out from other cars on the road and I'm sure you won't get teased by anyone here for putting one on your WRX. I own a hatch and am planning on purchasing a wing from BlackTop Aero in the future, I've read mixed reviews from people who like/don't like the way it looks on the hatch. In the end it's your car and your opinion matters more than anyone else. Whatever it is you choose to do, take pictures because I'm sure alot of us here would love to see what you have done. Cheers and have fun with your new Subie.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSweet View Post
    There is a deck lid swap thread in the local area club forums on NASIOC if you are interested in getting the spoiler. I imagine there will be someone that will trade up, lots of folks who buy STi's like the wingless look.
    Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by josnroh View Post
    Did you ever consider a black WRX,since your Evo was black.
    Black on a car is actually my favorite color. It's always looks amazing when clean and the color is so "deep". But.... I've had black cars all my life and I really got tired of it always needing to be cleaned. With black, everything shows. I clean the lancer for 2 hours, go for a drive and the cars dirty again, lol. I decided I wanted a color that looks clean most of the time. The spark silver looks clean even when it's dirty. We just had a very dirty rain this morning, spots all over the car, but from 5 feet away it looks like I just washed and waxed it. Other than the cleaning thing, I love black and the wrx looks great in black.

Thank you everyone for all the comments and feedback on my questions. I'll be picking up some cheap rims and snows before winter. I'm also going to debadge, might leave the wrx on. And I think I will go for the sti wing.

Thanks again, you guys have been helpful already.

Nice colour! I got my new WRX 5-door a month ago (exactly 4 weeks today!). This is my first Subie and AWD car, and I too come from a muscle car background, but I'm a Camaro guy. I still have mine too.

I'll mostly echo the others - get steel rims with winter tires. A lot of ins cos will give you a discount if you put winter tires on. And the stopping difference it makes is worth the cost.

My only reason to de-badge is to make the car easier to clean/polish. But, to each his own, and it's not really a big deal either way.

For the wing, I say go for it. My car has already been mistaken for an STi on a couple of occasions, so doing a visual upgrade is no big deal to me. It's your car, do what you like!

BTW, that's a clean looking Lancer. A buddy of mine just bought a black Ralliart sedan. Good looking car.
    2011 Spark Silver WRX 5-door. No mods....yet.
    2000 Navy Blue Camaro Z28. Some bolt-ons, stereo.

Quote Originally Posted by GEARJAMR View Post
    Nice colour! I got my new WRX 5-door a month ago (exactly 4 weeks today!). This is my first Subie and AWD car, and I too come from a muscle car background, but I'm a Camaro guy. I still have mine too.

I'll mostly echo the others - get steel rims with winter tires. A lot of ins cos will give you a discount if you put winter tires on. And the stopping difference it makes is worth the cost.

My only reason to de-badge is to make the car easier to clean/polish. But, to each his own, and it's not really a big deal either way.

For the wing, I say go for it. My car has already been mistaken for an STi on a couple of occasions, so doing a visual upgrade is no big deal to me. It's your car, do what you like!

BTW, that's a clean looking Lancer. A buddy of mine just bought a black Ralliart sedan. Good looking car.
    Congrats on your ride too.

A Camaro guy.... gee I'm really sorry... lol, just kiddin. Mustangs and Camaros always had a great rivalry.

The Ralliart is nice, I actually considered one before I bought the WRX, but I passed because it cost a few thousand more, doesn't have a manual option, and is slower than the wrx. The dual clutch setup on the ralliart is cool, but just not for me.

But anyway... Thanks for the input on my questions.

also from wny

? Hey, I am also from WNY! Where did you find a WRX locally? I had to order mine from Rochester. Let me know if you ever want to go driving. I have not found a WRX club around here yet.

John

Quote Originally Posted by wrxjzorro View Post
    ? Hey, I am also from WNY! Where did you find a WRX locally? I had to order mine from Rochester. Let me know if you ever want to go driving. I have not found a WRX club around here yet.

John
    Last edited by sho-n-go; 08-27-2011 at 06:24 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12