Need input on clutch/transmission issues 2003 WRX. Please help

This is a discussion on Need input on clutch/transmission issues 2003 WRX. Please help within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I recently purchased an 03 WRX 4D. It has a light weight flywheel, stage 1 clutch, and a short throw. ...

Need input on clutch/transmission issues 2003 WRX. Please help

I recently purchased an 03 WRX 4D. It has a light weight flywheel, stage 1 clutch, and a short throw. When I bought the car I noticed that the clutch was not consistent with the feel. The car also does a mild grind going into first sometimes as well as 4th. I bled the master cylinder, and after hours of frustration I was finally able to get the pedal to return all the way back and have good feel. I thought this would fix the grinding and pedal feel but it is back to square one. If I am driving on the freeway staying in 5th for a couple hours, the clutch does not return all the way up. I have to pump it several times for it to fully return. I am not sure if the slave or master cylinder is leaking or broken, or if there is some totally different issue. Is the mild grinding from the clutch issue or is it possibly the synchros. The guy who had it before me was also using synthetic transmission fluid. I have heard this can be horrible for transmissions.

Any input would really help. I have asked shops and auto part stores and I cant seem to get a good answer from anyone.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    See this thread regarding the pedal:
    clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder?

Drain the gear oil out and try a regular gear oil like Valvoline 75W-90 or Subaru Extra-S. If neither works suspect syncros I suppose.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.