I'm new here.

This is a discussion on I'm new here. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi, I own a 2005 EVO Mr with 95,000 miles and have been considering selling it and getting a 2011/12 ...

I'm new here.

Hi,

I own a 2005 EVO Mr with 95,000 miles and have been considering selling it and getting a 2011/12 WRX. I'm not happy with the way that the EVO X turned out and the Subarus are still holding true to the faith it seems.

So, I thought I'd sign up here with all you fine Subaru loving people and get a few answers.

Nice to meet you all, Thomas.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

In order to answer that question, it would be good to know a few things...

1.) What exactly about the EVO X do you not like?
    2.) How did you like the 05 EVO? Are there any aspects you really didn't like that buying a WRX will resolve?
    3.) Are you considering a WRX STI or just the WRX?
    "You may say the grill is ugly...but thats ok...you wont see it when your behind me"
    Hawk-Eye alliance #004

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnal_wrx View Post
    In order to answer that question
    i re-read the original post 5 times and do not see where he asked a question.

maybe it's just too early for me.

either way, welcome OP.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to Club.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post

Possibly, but it was clearly too late for me! Good catch
    "You may say the grill is ugly...but thats ok...you wont see it when your behind me"
    Hawk-Eye alliance #004

No actual questions yet fellas. ...By saying "getting answers" I meant that this place is a great resource. And for the time being I'm getting answers by doing a search and reading topics about the new WRX that interest me.

Sorry for not being more clear.

One question that I was curious about, but could not find doing a search here is:

Does the new 2011 WRX come with aluminum lower control arms similar to the STI's?
    Or put another way, does the 2011WRX come with an aluminum lower control arm minus the pillow bushing that comes on the new STI?...Or did they save some money there on the WRX and use stamped steel for the lower control arm?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    i re-read the original post 5 times and do not see where he asked a question.

either way, welcome OP.

I'm curious to know what he didn't like about the EvoX versus the '05, personally that he thinks Subaru is holding true to the faith. My faith pretty much goes as far as the car starting each day.
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnal_wrx View Post
    In order to answer that question, it would be good to know a few things...

2.) How did you like the 05 EVO? Are there any aspects you really didn't like that buying a WRX will resolve?
    I'm not happy about the direction that Mitsubishi took when designing the EVO 10. By trying to create an "Everyman's" AWD sports sedan they sucked that hard core focused soul out what the EVO 8 & 9 was. The EVO 10 is bigger, heavier and the sequential gearbox in the MR is just something that I'd rather not have to deal with if it explodes. I'm not speaking on experience on that gearbox but I have this feeling that it wouldn't be a trouble free thing for 90,000 miles.

My 05 MR is the best car I have ever owned, it has given me 95,000 trouble free miles. Besides breaks, clutch and timing belt I have had ZERO issues. When I bought the car I factored in that for such a tightly wound car I would probably have some mechanical issues at some point, but to my pleasant surprise the thing has been as dependable as a Toyota Camry. ...I'm considering selling it because I've had a good run with it, it still has value on the used market and I'm thinking that I may as well cut my losses and buy a new replacement. That search has brought me to look at the WRX & STI again.

I'm considering the WRX, I race/autocross a 996 GT3 with my brother so I'd don't need every ounce of performance that the STI provides. Seems that the WRX provides 90% or more of the STI experience for a lot less. I'm 6'5 so no sunroof for me please, this puts me in the base WRX that I'm thinking I can get out the door for $27,500 with dest & tax. Not a bad deal if you ask me, I can't touch an EVOX or STI for under 36K. After a few suspension tweaks and a cat back I'm sure the new 2011 WRX would serve as a spirited AWD daily driver & and a monster snow eater in the winter with Blizzacks, I live in NY BTW.

I also like the fact that the WRX is almost 200 LBS lighter that the STI, I just wish I could add a six speed box and HID's on the base WRX, that's how I would option it if I could. Oh, and I'd get the wagon so I can throw my bike in the back.

Which brings me to another question. The 5 door "WRX" has the same base price at the 4 door. But if you want an "STI" the 5 door stickers for 2K more than the 4 door.
    As Alfredo J. Pacino would say "What's up with that?"

welcome
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #7878
    2007 WRX TR
    My work in progress. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ld-thread.html

Quote Originally Posted by tpetsch View Post
    1.)
    My 05 MR is the best car I have ever owned, it has given me 95,000 trouble free miles. Besides breaks, clutch and timing belt I have had ZERO issues. When I
    When did you have to replace the clutch? I'm curious about that in general for Subie owners around here for that matter. I'm just wondering since I've never had to replace a clutch and 2 of my last 3 cars had 120-130k on them with no slip. I don't know if this is because I don't race them or if it's just a matter of careful rev matching, etc. or it's highly dependent on the car, etc.

I'm considering the WRX, I race/autocross a 996 GT3 with my brother so I'd don't need every ounce of performance that the STI provides. Seems that the WRX provides 90% or more of the STI experience for a lot less. I'm 6'5 so no sunroof for me please, this puts me in the base WRX that I'm thinking I can get out the door
    I understand the sunroof thing. It makes a big clearance difference on most cars and I've avoided sunroofs in the past for that reason. I was pleasantly surprised that I fit just fine in the WRX with a sunroof, though (but I'm only 6'2"; I would imagine 6'5" would be cutting it close, but you never know until you sit in one. it also depends on torso height (I've got more there than legs as my legs are slightly under 32"). In the past adjusting the seat recline a tad usually took care of it on marginal fits.

OTOH, I find sunroofs almost completely useless anyway, although with this awful automatic climate controls mine came with (wish I could ditch that), I might need to vent some air in the winter. You can set the auto controls as low as it will go (65 degrees F) and if it's a couple of degrees colder than that inside the cabin, the darn thing will crank up the heat full blast until it reaches 65. I don't know about other people, but I hate breathing hot air blasting me in the face or legs. Unless it's below freezing out, I want a gradual temperature change and there is no way I can see to do that with the automatic controls. You can bypass the fan, but not the temperature. It's great for maintaining cooling, but there should be a 'back off' control for the amount of heat it sends at once, IMO. After all these years, I cannot believe they haven't addressed that as I'm not the only one that has that issue with it from people I've talked to. (fortunately my last '04 WRX had manual controls; you had to fiddle with them to adjust the temp as the car heated up, etc. but at least you COULD adjust it.

I also like the fact that the WRX is almost 200 LBS lighter that the STI, I just wish I could add a six speed box and HID's on the base WRX, that's how I would option it if I could. Oh, and I'd get the wagon so I can throw my bike in the back.
    I don't know why Subaru is still pushing a 5-speed when everyone else has gone to 6-speed standard, but you can add the HIDs yourself later on if you want. Personally, I like the leather seats in my limited. They are way more comfortable IMO than my '04's cloth seats. By the time I factored in the cost for HID and leather and the fact I talked them into taking off the cost of the SPT catback (I told them I was into listening to the stereo and it might be a bit too loud for my tastes on the freeway so they just took another $1k off to change my mind), I ended up $28.5 with the Limited + catback + blue leds (plus tax and title, although I had a trade-in of my '04 so that dropped the taxes a good bit; I was $21k out the door with the trade). And that was well after the quake in Japan.

Which brings me to another question. The 5 door "WRX" has the same base price at the 4 door. But if you want an "STI" the 5 door stickers for 2K more than the 4 door.
    As Alfredo J. Pacino would say "What's up with that?"

If I recall correctly, the sedan was more than the wagon back in '04 for the WRX in terms of base price. How odd that it's the other way around now for the STI. I wonder if it's purely a popularity thing. In '04 hardly anyone wanted a wagon (uglier than usual for Subaru). Now it seems like the other way around and I would agree until the '11 Sedan models came out with the STI trim in sedan form. I think the sedan is WICKED looking now (at least in dark colors; I love the DGM on it) and I was pro-hatch until I saw the '11 sedan at the dealership. I left with it the same day.
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra