Im going to try this again
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Im going to try this again within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm going to look at a WRX wagon tomorrow, had a few questions b4 I head out to see it. ...

Im going to try this again

I'm going to look at a WRX wagon tomorrow, had a few questions b4 I head out to see it. The CE light is on but he hasn't had it looked at so I'm going to bring my scanner, if I get a mis-fire code I want to check compression. How hard it that to do on these motors and what number am I looking for... he also said it makes a thumping noise while turning, completely smooth and silent while driving straight. I've always known that to be cv axles, is that the same with the WRX or could this be something more.

I appreciate the help and enjoy reading all the replies thanks

(BTW: try to buy a WRX again, not try this post again) title wasn't very clear sorry
    Last edited by ______; 05-19-2011 at 11:25 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Service limit on the 2002 2.0L motor is 121 PSI. Doing a compression test is a pain because of the location of the spark plugs.

CVs thunk when turning sometimes like any other car.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Get that CEL read first and foremost. Does the car have any mods? What year WRX? If it's the 2.0L, you'll be looking for approx. 150 PSI in each cylinder when the engine is warm with less than a 7 PSI difference between cylinders.

The thumping could be any number of things, but if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it's a bad endlink (known to be a weak point especially in the wagons).
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Sorry I did forget to mention its an 03

I asked him what modz if any had been done and he said... intake tien suspension big top mount utec ecu boost controller... anything I should be worried about

thanks for the reply

Ive been told utec could give an interference code?? is this true/common

Like I said Im gonna scan it as soon as I get there so I have some time to check a few things out once I get the code. Other then a misfire code leading to a compression issue whats the worst case?

Thanks

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by ______ View Post
    I asked him what modz if any had been done and he said... intake tien suspension big top mount utec ecu boost controller... anything I should be worried about

thanks for the reply
    No. Walk away. The guy clearly thinks he has a honda.

Facebook me here

I'm going to check it out anyway. Most likely going to remove the utec and the boost controller and run it stock. My question still is can the utec give a CE light and what will my scanner read if that's the case

Thanks for the input zax and anyone else who could help

with a CEL and the mods he's said, I'd say you're walking into a mess. not worth your money and time spent ripping your hair out.
    2007 Satin White Pearl WRX TR
    1983 Audi GT Coupe Sold
    They call me Sunshine
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/photog...ng-thread.html
    "big, healthy, husky, fluffy, DAYYUM, oh hell no"

Thanks 1speed

I've read numerous post asking similar questions about buying used vehicles, all of which say try to avoid any vehicle that has been modified or with CE lights. With out knowing what the code is I do understand that you have to assume the worst case scenario but after reading some of the mod list on this site these modifications seem extremely minimal and probably modifications I would be doing myself. So I'm asking for some first hand information about these particular mods that I should be worried about

Thanks

ask him if he's ever had a pro tune done, and by whom. the mods listed would need a pro tune to function properly.
    2007 Satin White Pearl WRX TR
    1983 Audi GT Coupe Sold
    They call me Sunshine
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/photog...ng-thread.html
    "big, healthy, husky, fluffy, DAYYUM, oh hell no"

He is saying the owner b4 him did have it tuned and was the one who did the mods.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by ______ View Post
    He is saying the owner b4 him did have it tuned and was the one who did the mods.
    Ha. Seriously, do not buy that car. You are in for more trouble than you realize...

Facebook me here

Sounds like the guy before him messed around with the car without doing any research, screwed it up, then sold it to this guy. Now he's trying to pass his troubles on to you. I wouldn't pay much more for it than you would pay for a similar car with a blown engine.

Nothing in that mod list sounds like the owner had a clue what they were doing.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Sounds like the guy before him messed around with the car without doing any research, screwed it up, then sold it to this guy. Now he's trying to pass his troubles on to you. I wouldn't pay much more for it than you would pay for a similar car with a blown engine.

Nothing in that mod list sounds like the owner had a clue what they were doing.
    This^
    Do not buy that car.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.