Hello everyone I am new to this site.

This is a discussion on Hello everyone I am new to this site. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, My name is Chris and I plan to buy a WRX in the next 12 months. I am ...

Hello everyone I am new to this site.

Hey guys,

My name is Chris and I plan to buy a WRX in the next 12 months. I am new to Subaru my last 7 cars have been Honda/Acura's.

I have found that Honda can't give me the power/speed that I would like in a car.
    I will be using the WRX for 1/4 miles at the track and some autoX. Also I just want a safe car to take on trips in the mountains.

At first I was dead set on either and EVO or an STI but now I see that they kicked up the wrx non sti to 265 hp in 09. Now I am torn between a 2010 or a 2011-12. I like the wider body on the 20011's but I know due to the earthquake they are hard to find.

I can still afford an STI but would have to go with an 06 or 07. What do you guys think about the power bump on the 09+ wrx do they compete well with the older STI and Evo VII-VIII?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Welcome,

Personally, I think that you should maybe think about the goals for what you want to do with your Subie first before you decide which to buy...

Are you planning on keeping it stock? Do you plan to run it really hard at the track?

The WRX's are good for folks that just want to go through the gears every now and again and aren't looking to go to more than 300+ WHP. At the time I bought mine, I couldn't afford an STi... if I had it to do over again, I would have held out for an STi. I got the itch for power BIG TIME after doing my suspension mods and right now its right on the threshold of shredding the gear box with the power I am putting down (320 WHP). Even so, I know how to drive it right, so I am not too worried about it.

The biggest difference with the motor's reliability between a WRX and the STi is the drivetrain and stock motor internals. If you plan on putting a beating on your car on a regular basis or go more than 300+ WHP, go with the STi, they are built to handle more power and more frequent hard driving. The stock suspension is also much better in an STi, but if you really want it to handle, you are going to do sways, endlinks, braces anyways.

The 07 STi has (arguably) the best transmission Subaru has ever made (according to the guru's I talk to). I personally think that is the best looking Impreza of them all to date as well.

Happy shopping!!

Thanks for the info. My last track car was a RSX -S and I ran it hard all the time and at the track. I had the choice of buying the RSX now or waiting a year for an EVO or and STI. Well I didn't wait and found that no matter how much I modded the RSX it was never going to be fast enough for me.

I had no plans to buy a non STI WRX until I saw the big boost in power they gave it in 2009. I have been seeing a lot of STI lately 2005-2006 for around 18,000 - 22,000. I can afford that now but I am a bit unsure of getting a car with 70,000+ miles on it when I don't know the engine very well. I have always been a Honda guy and know there engines inside and out.

How conferable are the STI's on long trips? I had my RSX modded so much that I just sucked to drive anywhere but the track. With the STI being fast stock I feel I may not mod it as much as I did the RSX allowing it to be used as a weekend car for trips with the wife. It will never be my DD as I have a civic hybrid for that.

I am sure I will mod with the STI or the non STI a little as I just can help myself since it is what I like doing but I know that I will be a bit slower on modding since I am not familiar with the engine / drive-train yet.

Thanks again for the help.

I am looking at one 2006 STI with 75,000 on it for $21,998. I am still waiting to see a picture before I make the 3 hour drive to look at it in person.

It sounds like you may be able to go with a WRX for what you want to do. Just be careful how hard you push the power. Like I said, mine is walking that fine line, but I know how not to push it over the edge and make the gearbox go "boom".

Imprezas are comfy cars... I make frequent 5-hour one way trips (at least 10 a year) to Smith Mountain Lake, VA from upper MoCo, MD and quite a few 2.5 hour trips to snowboard in PA and I never feel super drained when I get outta the car.

It sounds like you might get better value (and maybe lower insurance) if you go with the WRX. The REAL reason want to get an STi next go round is because I am going to go nutz and make a 400+ WHP scooby.

Edit:

I also wanted to point out that these cars (for the most part) are VERY easy to work on and you can find DIY walk throughs for literally EVERY single thing you could possibly want to do to these cars. I like communities like this and RS25.com as a place for the enthusiast in me and other sites like NASIOC.com, iwsti.com have a ton of info and good forums for buying used parts. If you are frugal, you can save a ton of money buying used stuff.
    Last edited by MrSweet; 05-19-2011 at 12:02 PM.

When is the first major service on these cars? I know that one I plan to look at on Saturday has 75 k on it.

Major? Depends on your definition of major...

I would say that 90k is the big one... I would do timing belt, water pump, tune up, fluids change. If you have good mechanical inclination, you can do it all yourself no problem.

I recently bought my 02 wagon with 150K (not a typo). I replaced the struts (they were hosed), put in spacers in the rear, changed every fluid (still need to do power steering) and I am probably going to do timing belt and water pump soon just to be safe. The clutch needs to be adjusted too... grrrr..

I Support ClubWRX
    Hello and welcome to the Club!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Hello and welcome to the Club!
    Hey Thanks for the welcome

I finally bought an 06 STi with 70k miles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo2.jpg   photo.jpg   photo3.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    Congrats,very clean looking beautiful car.Any mods?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Congrats,very clean looking beautiful car.Any mods?
    Thanks!! I am holding off on any engine mods until I can learn more about boxer motors. I do plan to yank the stock stereo since there is no aux input.

Also need to pick up a helmet before I can go to the track. My last car a 2002 RSX-s only ran 14.1 ish so I was able to avoid shelling out for a helmet.