New to ClubWRX, but not Subaru

This is a discussion on New to ClubWRX, but not Subaru within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi guys. I just traded in my 2004 Aspen White WRX Wagon and bought a brand new 2011 DGM WRX ...

Thumbs up New to ClubWRX, but not Subaru

Hi guys. I just traded in my 2004 Aspen White WRX Wagon and bought a brand new 2011 DGM WRX Limited Sedan a few weeks ago. In addition to the standard limited package, it has the SRT catback and blue-led foot-well light package installed (and due to the earthquake in Japan, it was take what they had or nothing at all). I got it for around $29,500 and they gave me $10,500 for the trade-in (a friend has informed me he's already seen the old one around town, so it sold fast at the dealership, it seems). I think I was around $21k out the door. Insurance went up $55 a six months to around $430 a half with fairly high coverage (i.e. more than my house value so I don't get sued for it if something were to happen).

I kept the '04 mostly stock save a boost gauge and short-throw shifter along with a JVC head-unit (it had the under the seat sub), but I feel this new car needs some work. The interior seems noisier to me (hard plastic rattles, which aren't helped by the stiffer suspension or the catback so I'm planning on eventually getting some noise reduction done (i.e. maybe Dynamat/Dynapad or equiv in the trunk and perhaps some Dynapad in the door panels) and a replacement stereo. I'm leaning towards the Sony 660BT (which has Tom-Tom NAV) with backup camera package for around $600. I'm still debating whether to get another under-the-seat sub (I was happy with the '04 one) which would cut out the door rattling and keep my trunk space free or using my old Alpine 10" Sub with 300 watt Amp setup I used to have in my '93 Probe GT which is just sitting around in the garage collecting dust. If so, I would probably get an Audio Integrations enclosure so it would look OEM for the trunk (looks way better than the factory tube, IMO and since I already have the sub and amp, it would cost about the same). My concern there, though is the potential for rattling (which I hate). I've read the trunk on the sedan is prone to rattling that is hard to get rid of compare to the hatchback. I don't need bone jarring base (I have two rooms of high-end audio at home already so I prefer accuracy over boom).

I'm getting a 3M clear-bra put on this weekend (front-end, hood, hood scoop, lights, door cups and trunk/rear bumper). I swore I'd never buy a new car and paint chips would be rough on me, so hopefully this will keep it looking good for some time.

The car's shifter is mush compared to the short-throw on the previous car so I'm going to be looking at getting a short-throw very soon. I'm considering after-market shift handles, but I'm still leaning towards the standard Momo one, as it just seems to look the best (open to suggestions, though).

I'm not sure if the compass/home-link mirror is worth the money or not. A family member that has a Legacy has it and it seems nice, but setup like factory, the home-link buttons require the ignition to be on, which could be a royal PITA. With the Tom-Tom NAV, I don't know if the compass is necessary.

After seeing some after-market gauge pods that fit right on the dash cover and set the pods so they don't block anything, the factory OEM boost gauge looks pretty 2nd rate by comparison so I'm thinking of going that direction (I had a corner dash/window boost gauge in the '04, which looked nice, IMO).

Looking at Cobb's stock maps, Stage 1 seems like it's more bang for the buck than Stage 2 (compared to the 2.0L engine, which was the other way around) and according to Cobb, Subaru wouldn't be able to tell it was flashed if flashed back and the AP removed. I've seen some arguments online about this, but I'm thinking it'd be a nice upgrade while the warranty is still in effect before considering Stage 2.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing from other Subaru owners. This is the first time I bought another car of the same make/model so I guess that says something about how much I liked my first WRX. I owned a '93 ProbeGT before that and an '88 Cavalier Z24 before that (my first car). All of them have been 5-speeds. I've never owned an automatic.

In case anyone is curious, I learned to drive a stick playing the arcade game "Hard Driving" around 1991. People told me it just wasn't the same thing, but I drove the Z24 home 25 miles from the guy I bought it from with no incidents and I've never caused a crash in 20 years of driving (so much for the theory of young males and wrecking cars). I had the Z24 for 10 years until a lady ran a 5 second dead red light and totaled it going about 70 through the light. I bought the Probe at 85k miles and sold it at 130k. I bought the '04 WRX at 2-years old and 35k and sold it at 6 years old and 80k. The '11 had <100 miles on it (apparently a few test drives). It definitely has a faster, sportier feel and the catback is wicked sounding (although I'd prefer to cut down the freeway drone for stereo listening a bit, hence the plan for dynamat/dynapad).

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to the site. Oh yeah welcome to the DGM family!

I didn't read the wall of text, but welcome
    Contributing unsolicited, worthless opinions since 9/10...
    The project I spend all my money on.... <---- Click it

Quote Originally Posted by metaldahlberg View Post
    I didn't read the wall of text, but welcome
    I'm a lazy bastard especially in reading but welcome aboard and congrats!

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I just got a 3M clear bra installed (entire front + lights up to turbo scoop, door cups and bumper lip). It was around $720 installed. You can see the edge on the hood from certain angles, but it's not as noticeable as those side door panels from what I can see (it's cloudy out and the car is in the garage and going to stay there for at least 24 hours). It's got to be better than paint chips in any case (there was already one small one on the bottom lip of the front bumper and fine scratch on the bottom lip on the left side from only 500 miles of driving). I don't see any bubbles or anything.
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

Welcome to the club!
    FEZTEC
    Performance Engineering
    www.feztec.com

A picture taken at sunset on my recent trip from the car (or is this a snapshot of Test Drive 2? )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3206.jpg  
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'm a former j-body owner as well. Welcome to the forum!
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! - www.kronosperformance.com - Call/Text 732-742-8837 |
    AIM Screenname - KronosParts | GoogleTalk - sales@kronosperformance.com | Military Discount
    Kronos has Special Pricings on Process West & Agency Power!
    CONTACT US DIRECTLY FOR SPECIALS AND PROMOTIONS

hola