Help with some reasons to get a WRX.. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Help with some reasons to get a WRX.. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My gf has a 1998 TJ and I know how bad that fuel mileage can be! The WRX is obviously ...

My gf has a 1998 TJ and I know how bad that fuel mileage can be! The WRX is obviously going to be much better in relation, but do take into account the need for premium fuel. And if you're going to start hunting down V8's with mods pushing the power up - the fuel economy can really tank. At that point, you'd be better off with one of those American V8's. The new Mustang GT is an amazing drive and has a ton of power and actually gets better mileage than my car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If all you need to do is convince your parents, then you may have come to the wrong place. They're your parents, bro. I will give you one bullet though - That 10-year-old Jeep probably doesn't have that much life left in it. I'd recommend driving it as hard as you can and hoping it blows, so they'll have to get you a new car. If its a MT, try pinning the RPMS at redline and slipping the clutch...while parked in super glue. :-)
    Greg
    Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Whenever I need to convince myself or anyone else how great the WRX is, I show them this:

50" plasma + coffee table + room to spare

I also just got back from a road trip (Orange County to San Francisco) and my MPG average was around 23mpg which is pretty awesome IMO for a car with so much pep.

So just tell your folks you can help lug stuff around for them. ;-)
    Steve // 2008 Lexus IS-F // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

I have a built 99 TJ as my toy and I thank God every day that I dont have to daily drive that thing. If MPG your concern the stay away from AWD. I would (and am) look into a new 2012 Focus, VW Jetta TDI, or something along those lines. 40 MPG, cheap insurance rates, cheap maintenance etc.. Im not a hybird guy, but the new CR-Z and Lexus CT 200h look amazing. Both get in the 40MPG range and are hatches.
    2011 Honda CR-Z EX
    Milano Red / Navigation / 6MT

2009 WRX hatch premium SEM #52 Traded 7/28/11
    Kartboy STS & bushings // RedlineGoods Shifter & E-brake boots // Muffler delete pipe // Window tint //

Guys, I don't think the guy is looking for a fuel economy king like a Hybrid. He's just looking for something a lot more sensible than his Jeep, which really isn't asking for much.

What's wrong with driving the Jeep TJ? I've had 2 of them and one was buil, I loved every minute of it... So what it only gets 13 mpg, its paid off and you don't have to pay for insurance, wait till you have a car payment and have to cover everything else is when driving gets expensive...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Quote Originally Posted by lokey View Post
    If all you need to do is convince your parents, then you may have come to the wrong place. They're your parents, bro. I will give you one bullet though - That 10-year-old Jeep probably doesn't have that much life left in it. I'd recommend driving it as hard as you can and hoping it blows, so they'll have to get you a new car. If its a MT, try pinning the RPMS at redline and slipping the clutch...while parked in super glue. :-)
    Haha that's funny. But the 4.0l straight six under the hood is know for running forever like 300,000 miles forever lol and mine has 94,000 kilometres.. :/

I love the tj.. I wish I could have both, but when you have to drive it to school every day which is a 40 minute drive there and a 40 minute drive back in a car that has mud tires... You get the picture. It's pretty scary in the rain and snow because of it's super short wheel base and you can't even stick it in 4wd because it needs alot of slippage so it's really ment of offroad use. I've seen people blow their transfer cases Into peaces when driving in 4 HI on road

Forgot to mention that it's amazing offroad and I like driving it through trails but now I'm 'not allowed to offroad because I'm going to break it' even though that's what it's designed for. So yeah, as a toy it's amazing but as a car? It sucks. 0 trunk space.. My backpack hardly fits :P

How long to wrx's usually last? If they havent been modded?

Quote Originally Posted by V8HUNTER View Post
    How long to wrx's usually last? If they havent been modded?
    more than we've generally had the chance to see. A few people own 300k+ wrxs.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man View Post
    more than we've generally had the chance to see. A few people own 300k+ wrxs.
    2002 Subaru WRX Hatchback - City of Toronto Cars For Sale - Kijiji City of Toronto Canada. what do you think? I just read your used wrx thread btw.. thanks for the tips

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to Club!

Generally the Subaru will be better on gas. Although as others pointed out it's not quite as dramatic as it seems initially because of the premium fuel price. But in my experience they are still cheaper to operate. In my unscientifically, marginally knowledgeably opinion/experience Subarus seem to have less down time then Jeeps.

If I may ask you mentioned that you are in a "redneck" area but you referred to your "mum" and speak in kilometers... Not exactly traditional "redneck" terms in the US where I'm from.
    Where are you located?
    Last edited by TheJ; 05-11-2011 at 02:14 AM.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

[/I][/I]
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    Welcome to Club!

Generally the Subaru will be better on gas. Although as others pointed out it's not quite as dramatic as it seems initially because of the premium fuel price. But in my experience they are still cheaper to operate. In my unscientifically, marginally knowledgeably opinion/experience Subarus seem to have less down time then Jeeps.

If I may ask you mentioned that you are in a "redneck" area but you referred to your "mum" and speak in kilometers... Not exactly traditional "redneck" terms in the US where I'm from.
    Where are you located?
    haha this guys smart lol. I'm actually from England but moved to Canada around six years ago.. I'm member of alot of forums but no one has noticed anything like that. :P

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by V8HUNTER View Post
    [/I][/I]

haha this guys smart lol. I'm actually from England but moved to Canada around six years ago.. I'm member of alot of forums but no one has noticed anything like that. :P
    I saw the redneck thing too, then you mentioned your dad drove Saabs, and I was like:

Unless it looks like this, I suppose:
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

haha.. Naaa he had one of these in bright red.. I remember it being pretty darn fast..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast