Old fart WRX owners.

This is a discussion on Old fart WRX owners. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So is it cool or un-cool for an old fart to drive a REX? I'm curious to know how many ...

Old fart WRX owners.

So is it cool or un-cool for an old fart to drive a REX?
    I'm curious to know how many other people over 50 have been enticed into the personality and looks of the new 2011 WRX.
    Having owned somewhere around 50 cars since my first 1970 Ford Cortina , I can tell you that my new ride (Silver 2011 WRX hatch, base, ST shift,racks,BC,AWFM,CC) is by far the best performance ride so far.
    It is definately an amazing ride in the dirt, and is where the suspension in tuned almost perfectly. I find it a little soft on the the rebound on some interstates, but for the most part its fine. The power and sprint cababilities are exhilarating,matched by flat quick corning capabilities. The tranny feels bullet proof and made for the punishment that young drivers might throw at it, but lacks the refinement of other high performance manufactures. The Subie AWD is said to be the best and as I haven't really had the opportunity to test it in the snow I will asume it to be true. I find the audio to be pretty good but will definatley be insulating a few of the door clip vibrations.
    Bottom line is that the 2011 WRX is a exceptional high performance car at a very reasonable price.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't think it's uncommon. Subarus are a good choice usually. The Cortina was Haynes' best work I think. As for the Subaru time will tell if the gearbox is bulletproof. Previous years have had issues, some because of their drivers, others maybe not.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

dam i thought i was old. im only 32 lol

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Don't sweat it,man,just enjoy.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red

I wouldn't care what other's think, because it doesn't matter if you truly like the car. Im 19 and i drive an 04 WRX, and i have seen mostly older male drivers. I personally would not judge, even if you were 80 years old. Hope you find what your looking for.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome!

There are plenty of old farts on ClubWRX.

So like Joe said, don't sweat it. Post some pics when you get a chance.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

Welcome. I'm 36, a young 36. In my area AWD vehicles hold their value much better than they do in more southern areas, so there aren't as many younger drivers of them as you'd see in warmer locales where AWD doesn't have to get you through the winter. I see quite a few 50+ drivers of new WRX's. A big average age range gap though, likely ~25-40.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

I Support ClubWRX
    Several of us 50+ members here. Just have fun with your new toy!

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...
    Bugeye Mafia #338

At 49 I feel a little foolish dropping my kids off at high school and getting the thumbs up from kids I dont know,
    well just a little foolish, not enough to cancel out the thrill of spinning up the turbo,
    My 2011 is my third Suby wagon and first WRX, It was a total impulse buy and i love it.

KHP
    Test drive one (That is if you can find one in your local dealer) and pull the trigger. I'm pretty sure you'll love the car. It's one of the most versatile cars I've owned. They feel at home in dirt, gravel, tarmac, snow (With winter tires of course) and whatever else may pop up.

The hatch interior cargo capacity is enormous for a car this size. Add a roof rack system then what you can do with the car is almost limit less. I forgot to add that it's also a ton of fun to drive.

*EDIT*
    Crap... I guess I didn't read your whole post and I didn't know you already have the car lol. There's no turning back now. Enjoy your new car. It dosen't matter how old you are what matters is that you're having fun with it.

Don't try winter/snow driving on your stock summer tires. I would suggest getting a set of winter tires. Even the best AWD or 4WD will do you no good if you don't have the right shoes.
    Last edited by KHP; 05-07-2011 at 04:15 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

I live in VT at a ski area with a VERY steep and twisty road. I told the dealer I had to get snow tires with the deal or I couldnt afford the car, that was the truth. I never even came close to getting stuck and we gat around 350" of snow this season, what fun in snow. I also drive 15 miles of dirt roads each way as part of my commute. This car rocks, it is like driving a 2 stroke dirt bike!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by outthumped View Post
    At 49 I feel a little foolish dropping my kids off at high school and getting the thumbs up from kids I dont know,
    Another 49'er here (no offspring).
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

If you like the car and are happy with it then don't worry about what people might say or think... My friend Dan's father saw my WRX and he asked "who's car is that"? Then he was so impressed as I was leaving to work and just saw the WOW factor on his face as I drove away and he is ~68 years old...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

When it comes to wrx owners that love and respect the car.. there is no such thing as "un-cool" .. these cars are ageless as far as I'm concerned. If ya dig it.. ya drive it. Who cares what others think?
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!