Hello all
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Hello all within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; In a few months I'm going to be getting a new car and one of my two choices is a ...

Question Hello all

In a few months I'm going to be getting a new car and one of my two choices is a 2010-2011 STi.

What kind of awhp can you run on the stock long block?
    What kind of power will the factory turbo max out at with full bolt ons?

Thanks for the help guys... I'm looking to get about 400whp and was hoping the STi can reliably handle it with a good tune and supporting mods.

I live by COBB so I would be able to get a good tune
    2005 Pontiac GTO 6-speed
    364.94rwhp 359.47rwtq
    Mods: K&N Drop in Filter, MSD wires, AC Delco plugs, Corsa Sport Catback, Lonestar Ported LS2 Intake/TB

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

STIzzy!

Welcome aboard, nice choices, I perfer the 2011 body work but that's just me.

I see from your sig you're comming from a high horse power, heavy, RW drive car. Fast I'm sure but 400 whp in a 3200 lb car is going to be a drastic change. I left a C5 Z06 to a 330-340 WTQ wrx, and I can tell you that it's a whole new realm.

Having said that, I'd read through this first, then research some more on some of the other sites as well (IWSTI.com and NASIOC.com)

Public Service Announcement. "I want 400whp!" Are you sure? - NASIOC

Good luck
    2011 WRX DGM hatch Cobb DP, Inv. Q300 CB, AEM intake, DW 1000cc's, DW 300 lph pump, AP w/ custom E85 tune, STS w/bushing, 3M clear bra, and tint for now...

Thanks guys. And I really want to get back into a lighter car. My first three rides were third gen camaros... Last one being a 92 z28. It wasn't fast at 210whp/310wtq, but it had a 3200lb curb weight and I lightened it a little so it was about a 3300lbcurb weight with me in it... A lot of fun in the turns.

That being said, ive driven a STi before (stock 05) and loved it.... A STi is a great car and I can't wait to get in one. Rear seats and cargo space are a plus for me since o have a 1yr old son. The STi is actually a real safe car too... So it's the best of all worlds IMO. AND it has one of the most unique exhaust notes and one of my favorite out of any other type of engine.
    2005 Pontiac GTO 6-speed
    364.94rwhp 359.47rwtq
    Mods: K&N Drop in Filter, MSD wires, AC Delco plugs, Corsa Sport Catback, Lonestar Ported LS2 Intake/TB

Ok so I looked at the threads and the 400whp one answered my question in part.

So 400whp is the breaking point of a stock piston, wether it be in 5 or 50,000 miles it will happen. Knowing that, what kind of power can I run if I have a GREAT custom tune with full boltons and keeping IAT/EGT in check?

Is 330-340whp safe? Maybe 360? I'm curious because I'm going to buy a new car and mod it right away. IF it blows up then so be it, I'll build the motor with the best pieces I can get. If I can avoid it for a year or two (or when I decide the car needs to go faster) I'd like to do so. So... with a very experienced WRX tuner and quality parts that work together what kind of power can I expect the longblock to handle safely?
    2005 Pontiac GTO 6-speed
    364.94rwhp 359.47rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
    Ok so I looked at the threads and the 400whp one answered my question in part.

So 400whp is the breaking point of a stock piston, wether it be in 5 or 50,000 miles it will happen. Knowing that, what kind of power can I run if I have a GREAT custom tune with full boltons and keeping IAT/EGT in check?

Is 330-340whp safe? Maybe 360? I'm curious because I'm going to buy a new car and mod it right away. IF it blows up then so be it, I'll build the motor with the best pieces I can get. If I can avoid it for a year or two (or when I decide the car needs to go faster) I'd like to do so. So... with a very experienced WRX tuner and quality parts that work together what kind of power can I expect the longblock to handle safely?
    Welcome.

Here is some useful advice on modifications. Any additional power/stress you put on that car will decrease the reliability of it. So, the more power, the les reliable. Now, you speak in WHP, I actually would be more concerned with how much torque your producing at the crank vs at the wheels.
    2006 Subaru WRX TR (Weekend Warrior)
    1993 Ford F250 Diesel (Daily Work Commuter)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #9455
    My WRX Mods

Trust me I know all about reliability issues. I'm an ASE certified tech and had a 350 built and put in my 85 Z28 which then toasted my tranny

I know you cant drive this car hard off the line and expect it to last... I don't even really do that in my GTO. I'm used to slipping the clutch off the line and going WOT/pedaling once in going ~10mph. I wouldn't drive the STi any different. I plan on mainly focusing on suspension/body stiffening modifications and then adding a full exhaust, intake manifold, air intake, radiator and a couple other small things. I'd likely run the stock turbo at the top of it's efficiency range for a while and swap to a larger turbo and a better TMIC to get me around 340-360whp. I'm not really into straight line speed as much as I like a nice handling car for back roads. I plan on even doing some auto crossing with the car and eventually want to take it off road
    2005 Pontiac GTO 6-speed
    364.94rwhp 359.47rwtq

. Rear seats and cargo space are a plus for me since o have a 1yr old son. The STi is actually a real safe car too... So it's the best of all worlds IMO. AND it has one of the most unique exhaust notes and one of my favorite out of any other type of engine.
    This exactly is the reason I traded in my Z for a WRX.

Trust me I know all about reliability issues. I'm an ASE certified tech and had a 350 built and put in my 85 Z28 which then toasted my tranny

I know you cant drive this car hard off the line and expect it to last... I don't even really do that in my GTO. I'm used to slipping the clutch off the line and going WOT/pedaling once in going ~10mph. I wouldn't drive the STi any different. I plan on mainly focusing on suspension/body stiffening modifications and then adding a full exhaust, intake manifold, air intake, radiator and a couple other small things. I'd likely run the stock turbo at the top of it's efficiency range for a while and swap to a larger turbo and a better TMIC to get me around 340-360whp. I'm not really into straight line speed as much as I like a nice handling car for back roads. I plan on even doing some auto crossing with the car and eventually want to take it off road
    If you stay on top of your maintenance and don't abuse the car I think you'll be fine with 340-360 whp. I'd give Cobb a call or swing by and talk to them. Tell them your plans/expectations and they'll advise you on the modifications to meet them. I believe a full TBE and an AEM intake with a Cobb protune will probably get you what your looking for.
    2011 WRX DGM hatch Cobb DP, Inv. Q300 CB, AEM intake, DW 1000cc's, DW 300 lph pump, AP w/ custom E85 tune, STS w/bushing, 3M clear bra, and tint for now...

Thanks
    2005 Pontiac GTO 6-speed
    364.94rwhp 359.47rwtq

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    I would expect any STI making ~350 or more on a stock motor to eventually fail early. Maybe not in the 1st year or 2 (from your post), but it will likely happen.

Well as with any car, even when power levels are at stock, engine longevity comes down to the tune and driving habits. If you have a car that's got EXPERT part throttle tuning (most people only stick with idle/wot tuning and barely mess with part throttle because it's a PITA and very time consuming) and you keep a constant eye on AFR/Fuel Pressure/KR you will be golden.

I know the Subaru engines can't take much over 300whp, but properly setup (and hopefully getting a monday morning built engine instead of a friday afternoon on ) they will be able to last like all other engines. IE: many people say 500-550whp is the limit of a stock bottom end LS1/2. However, there are many people out there that custom tune their own cars or take it to a VERY reputable tuner (spends like a week doing dyno/street tuning) and are running 600-700whp on stock bottom ends without issue. As long as they keep the cylinders from going lean (#7 is the hot one on the LS, I think #4 is on the subarus) and keep the engine from having any knock at all it's good. Another key factor in these cars is that they didn't just upgrade the pump and injectors. They have also put wider fuel lines on the car along with a larger fuel rail, and going a full return style system. With a larger pump/injectors you may have constant fuel pressure, but you will still have a better fuel supply with the larger lines/rail added with them.

On that note, no engine will last as long as the stock one from the factory. But where's the fun in leaving a performance vehicle stock?
    2005 Pontiac GTO 6-speed
    364.94rwhp 359.47rwtq

Well as with any car, even when power levels are at stock, engine longevity comes down to the tune and driving habits. If you have a car that's got EXPERT part throttle tuning (most people only stick with idle/wot tuning and barely mess with part throttle because it's a PITA and very time consuming) and you keep a constant eye on AFR/Fuel Pressure/KR you will be golden.
    If the boys at Cobb are doing the tune then this won't be an issue. My tuner spent 4 days on my car working to get everything perfect from idle to wot to cold starts, and anything between, and you're right it makes all the difference in the world.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.