New car
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New car within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just bought a new 06 WRX. It has a stage 2 clutch, short shifter, and borla exhaust just wanted ...

New car

I just bought a new 06 WRX. It has a stage 2 clutch, short shifter, and borla exhaust just wanted an estimate on the possible horse power and also what's a good turbo and blow off valve for a bolt on without needing major engine upgrades?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Twin Scroll = Expensive dynomight's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Hi and welcome. I estimate 237-244 max HP with those 3 mods. As for small turbos that will work with your stock engine: Here is a list of few of many.

VF-39, 43
    Evo 16g, 18g, 20g,
    td-04 16g, 18g
    td-06 18g, 20g

(BEWARE: A professional tune to the ECU is a definite must when installing any turbo).

The best blow off valve is your OEM Bypass Valve.
    I dont understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do? -Jeremy Clarkson- Top Gear

I'm assuming it just has a catback and no tune?

Your first route for power would be a downpipe and tune.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Yeah it's a borla cat back. I want to start out by getting a new intake and maybe fuel rail. I used to be a big Honda guy and I finally made the switch to awd and I'm never looking back.

Downpipe and tune. Take your time, read, read read. This isn't a Honda, what used to be simple bolt on horsepower now takes serious thought.
    2005 WRB WRX Stage 2
    Blobeye Syndicate #76
    A Must Read http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...do-not-do.html

The '06 WRX was a strange year, when 06 WRX's had 550cc injectors, while the 06 STI had 503's. You can run a VF-39 with no fuel changes, but I'd be wary of going any bigger than that. Also, are you stage 2? Or just the clutch? And a Blow Off Valve (BOV) can cause a whole mess of problems, so I'd do some research. Rich and Lean may be in your future if you decide to install it. There's a thread on here, "The Big BOV thread" or something close to that; it contains years of knowledge and personal experience with installs and brands. Tuneless intake is probably not a good idea unless you do an SPT or the few others that work w/o a tune. If you want the noise, look into doing a "snorkus delete." Also, Welcome!!
    2006 WRX Limited -Pro-tuned VF-39, STI TMIC, STI factory I/C Sprayer, Throttle body Coolant Bypass, STI Exhaust, SPT Short Ram Intake, SPT Upper Front and Rear Strut Bar, Red Samco Radiator Hoses, STI Trunk, SPT Short Shifter, Aftermarket Rotors, Lamco Turbo Gauge, Catless Downpipe, Hella Supertones, RallyArmor Limited Edition Pink UR Flaps, 35% Tint, Grounding Mod, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, SPT Heat Shield STI Piston Shift Knob!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #430

Thanks. The clutch is stage 2 that's it to my knowledge. And so I suppose the high volume fuel rail would be a bad idea. And yeah I know it sounds cheesy but I do want to be able to hear the turbo spool up. I guess the "psssh" sound comes from having an external waste gate? Or is it the bov? I've been leaning to the vf 39 after research and also upping to the Sti intercooler. And when it be necessary to up the ante on the coils or boots. But with the exhaust I want to keep my borla it's 3 inches cat back so I have to go with a brand that will work with it. And I'm kinda confused that they make headers for a turbo motor but I thought a turbo manifold did that job? But I'm new to turbo vehicles I've always ran naturally aspirated. But if you have any ideas on up pipes and down pipes. Let me know every little bit helps.

COBB is a highly recommended downpipe for stage two, and you don't have to worry about uppipe because we have '06s. Uppipe problems were on the earlier models. You're in the clear for that one. A snorkus delete will give you a whoosh sound, but the sharper air rush is a BOV. It's personal opinion, but youtube for different intakes, the snorkus delete, and BOV's and make your own decision. IMHO I don't think that headers are necessary at all for your mod level, and I'd leave them as is. They may be more trouble than they are worth. If you still want them, Perrin makes a set of equal length headers that I've heard a few good reviews about. Sadly, equal length headers will get rid of the boxer rumble that your Borla brings out, so make sure you take that into account
    2006 WRX Limited -Pro-tuned VF-39, STI TMIC, STI factory I/C Sprayer, Throttle body Coolant Bypass, STI Exhaust, SPT Short Ram Intake, SPT Upper Front and Rear Strut Bar, Red Samco Radiator Hoses, STI Trunk, SPT Short Shifter, Aftermarket Rotors, Lamco Turbo Gauge, Catless Downpipe, Hella Supertones, RallyArmor Limited Edition Pink UR Flaps, 35% Tint, Grounding Mod, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, SPT Heat Shield STI Piston Shift Knob!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #430

Well luckily borla makes a set of unequal length headers for the 06 so I'm in luck.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtgorby View Post
    Well luckily borla makes a set of unequal length headers for the 06 so I'm in luck.
    Why do you want headers?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Well from what I've heard it's a basic start to the whole tuning process of the car

Where did you hear that?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #430

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.