turbo charge car, anything I shoule aware?

This is a discussion on turbo charge car, anything I shoule aware? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am going to get my 11 WRX soon. I have more than 10 years stick shift driving experience but ...

turbo charge car, anything I shoule aware?

I am going to get my 11 WRX soon. I have more than 10 years stick shift driving experience but this is going to be my 1st turbo charge car. Is there anything I should aware of?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    follow the break in period closely, change your oil religiously and only with recommended oil (synthetic, from there the type will vary based on who you talk to). As for driving a stick it will be different because it is AWD. Heavy clutch and takes some getting used to. Other than that, not really. Just follow all the manufacturer guidelines for maintanence and you will be fine
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Bad gas milage, the want to modify, and even worse gas milage when your foot want lift off the pedal because your having to much fun. Other than that nothing.

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    oh ya that too....I am lucky to get 22mpg. Its usually closer to 20. And most of us tend to modify everything we can. example: Just my shifter, including knob, shifter, bushings, boot etc etc, has close to $400 into it. Not to mention my headlights.
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I am so itchy now after I picked up my WRX last night.....can't wait for the 1000 miles(break in time) to be done. There was a GT-R wants to race with me when I test drove it.

Twin Scroll = Expensive dynomight's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by sjcurtis View Post
    Bad gas milage, the want to modify, and even worse gas milage when your foot want lift off the pedal because your having to much fun. Other than that nothing.
    I agree with the degrading mpg that is common for turbocharged vehicles but if you can stay off boost, you might be able to save a significant amount of gas but just like the previous quote stated; its just too much fun going fast.
    I dont understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do? -Jeremy Clarkson- Top Gear

Quote Originally Posted by dynomight View Post
    I agree with the degrading mpg that is common for turbocharged vehicles but if you can stay off boost, you might be able to save a significant amount of gas but just like the previous quote stated; its just too much fun going fast.
    I was on a family vacation a while and as I see it the WRX is really a bad long drive machine. At 70MPH we were cruising at about 2900RPM= 24.6 miles/gallon!!

Then we have 55MPH under repair road; the RPM was 2600 it was this 45 min. drive that I got 29.8mile/gal.== the best so far!!
    2011 WRX HB in WR blue

budding audiophile

man...i've been getting about 17 mpg in city driving with my new 2011 wrx swp hb...my first MT that i've owned tho so maybe i just need to figure it out...

Watch out for the "hill assist" feature. It seems to cause premature clutch wear, as evidenced by those, like me, who have a lot of experience driving sticks. We who don't need this feature (and it can't be turned off on the WRX, the dealer says) because we will beat the long timing on this feature and the end result is that you're trying to go before the brake has released, causing premature clutch failure. It's a stupid feature at best and a guarantee of lots of repair costs for many. I have to brake, let up on the brake so it releases, and then hold it very lightly so as not to re-engage it so that the damn thing doesn't ruin my second clutch. Bummer. SOA doesn't recognize the problem--denies it altogether, doesn't pay any attention to the bad reviews from owners (they actually told me that!) and will accuse you of all manner of bad driving. This "your fault" assumption means that many won't get warranty coverage for the @$1,600 fix if you lose your clutch because of it.

I've never had or heard of this prodlem. I've had three STIs and put over 50-70k miles on them and never had a problem with the hill assist wearing the clutch out. The only clutch I wore out was my 08 STI with alot of mods and took it to the strip alot but that was my fault and I still got 50k miles out of it.

Check here to read 12 pages about this--which started, I believe in 2008.
    09 wrx clutch problems!

Oh my bad its a WRX problem not a STI problem sorry.

Thanks barefootdesigns, very good info. I do realize the hill assist and I thought it's a good feature but I don't really need it for an experience stick driver more than 10 yrs. Now, I wish I can turn it off. I will try your trick.

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdesigns View Post
    Watch out for the "hill assist" feature. It seems to cause premature clutch wear, as evidenced by those, like me, who have a lot of experience driving sticks. We who don't need this feature (and it can't be turned off on the WRX, the dealer says) because we will beat the long timing on this feature and the end result is that you're trying to go before the brake has released, causing premature clutch failure. It's a stupid feature at best and a guarantee of lots of repair costs for many. I have to brake, let up on the brake so it releases, and then hold it very lightly so as not to re-engage it so that the damn thing doesn't ruin my second clutch. Bummer. SOA doesn't recognize the problem--denies it altogether, doesn't pay any attention to the bad reviews from owners (they actually told me that!) and will accuse you of all manner of bad driving. This "your fault" assumption means that many won't get warranty coverage for the @$1,600 fix if you lose your clutch because of it.

You're welcome. The you're-just-a-stupid-old-lady attitude of my Subaru dealer pissed me off and I'm going to switch dealers. I once spent two months driving in San Francisco in a tiny Austin Healey Sprite with my right leg in a cast>>>>>cross-footed heel-and-toeing and right-handed shifting and braking the whole time! Also have run a Hi-Lo plow truck in New England and raced. I defy anybody to prove I burned up my stupid WRX clutch because I don't know how to drive a damn stick! Sorry for the rant, but SOA is really culpable with this one. Good luck!