Just ordered my sti, some concern

This is a discussion on Just ordered my sti, some concern within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi everyone, I am a newbie here and I just ordered my STi yesterday. My current ride is a Celica ...

Just ordered my sti, some concern

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie here and I just ordered my STi yesterday. My current ride is a Celica GTS and I live in VA. I have some concern about how often of STi/WRX will got stolen after I talked to my friend yesterday. I did some research online and saw couple of posts people got stole in different states.

Does anybody know how often STi got stole and how much different if I choose a WRX instead of STi?

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Not very often. I haven't heard of any stolen in my area at least. I really wouldn't worry about it too much.
    Contributing unsolicited, worthless opinions since 9/10...
    The project I spend all my money on.... <---- Click it

I Support ClubWRX
    Buy an aftermarket alarm and get good insurance. Cars get stolen,its a fact of life. Look up the top 10 stolen cars.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

actually last year the iihs produced a stat about how many cars get stolen versus how many were produced, and the subaru impreza is in the top ten of least often stolen cars. If that makes any sense lol
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Infinity

C'mon now - to pass on an STI for a WRX because you think there is a smaller chance of it getting stolen is kinda silly. Drive the STI, buy the STI, get good insurance and enjoy life. Don't worry about what some SOB may or may not do to your ride at some point in the future. Definately don't let that SOB dictate the car you buy based on what you may or may not do.

aghahah
    11WRX Ltd - COBB Stage 2+AEM HWG 93 Octane
    COBB Downpipe - SPT Exhaust - AEM Intake
    Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT - JL Audio W6v2 & XD600/1

Meh... Just use caution, Don't park in the ghetto and use common sense...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Not too often. Most thieves doesn't know how to drive stick! Kidding..

I'd be a bit concerned if you park outside or in a garage without controlled access. I'm not sure what area of VA you are in but the DC area has some problems with experienced and organized theives making the rounds in neighborhoods for a few days then moving on to somewhere else when police and property owners put up their guard. Happened in my neighborhood where dozens of cars were broken into and those bastards were downright malicious. If an alarm caught them by surprise they like to vandalize the cars, e.g. smash all the windows and razor blade the seats.

There was a thread over on NASIOC about a guy in Germantown who had his STI stripped in his outside apartment complex parking lot. Pretty crazy--the whole front end was gone along with the seats, cluster, and misc bits.

I'd just get the car, make reasonable efforts to prevent theft, and have the comprehensive deductible low in case something happens.

Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    I'd be a bit concerned if you park outside or in a garage without controlled access. I'm not sure what area of VA you are in but the DC area has some problems with experienced and organized theives making the rounds in neighborhoods for a few days then moving on to somewhere else when police and property owners put up their guard. Happened in my neighborhood where dozens of cars were broken into and those bastards were downright malicious. If an alarm caught them by surprise they like to vandalize the cars, e.g. smash all the windows and razor blade the seats.

There was a thread over on NASIOC about a guy in Germantown who had his STI stripped in his outside apartment complex parking lot. Pretty crazy--the whole front end was gone along with the seats, cluster, and misc bits.

I'd just get the car, make reasonable efforts to prevent theft, and have the comprehensive deductible low in case something happens.
    Thanks everybody and thanks for economatic for the heads up. That's crazy.

vehicle GPS tracking service is about 300 bucks to stsaert and affordable to maintain. i was looking into it when i had my civic with a type-r swap. then i sold the car cus i was fed up with being paranoid all the time. now with my subie, i dont feel that way. Phoenix is known for high rates of car theft. in fact, 6 months after i moved here i had my car stolen. i stay out bad neighbor hoods and if i park in well lit areas.

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    C'mon now - to pass on an STI for a WRX because you think there is a smaller chance of it getting stolen is kinda silly. Drive the STI, buy the STI, get good insurance and enjoy life. Don't worry about what some SOB may or may not do to your ride at some point in the future. Definately don't let that SOB dictate the car you buy based on what you may or may not do.
    Exactly.....This is how the terrorists win
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Quote Originally Posted by ironbutt View Post
    Thanks everybody and thanks for economatic for the heads up. That's crazy.
    No problem. Just make sure you get the factory shock sensor ($80 online plus activation/setup at the dealer). I had the dealer set min at level 3 on a 1-10 scale with lower being more sensitive and it definitely could be more sensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy_Digital View Post
    vehicle GPS tracking service is about 300 bucks to stsaert and affordable to maintain. i was looking into it when i had my civic with a type-r swap. then i sold the car cus i was fed up with being paranoid all the time. now with my subie, i dont feel that way. Phoenix is known for high rates of car theft. in fact, 6 months after i moved here i had my car stolen. i stay out bad neighbor hoods and if i park in well lit areas.
    I went through the same thing after my wife's car was broken into. I went through a phase of intense paranoia with the WRX and installed an aftermarket alarm with all the bells and whistles. At this point, I only activate the proximity sensor for door ding prevention.

I've never fully understood the need for GPS security for an easily replaceable car. If someone steals my WRX, I never want to see the car again and will happily take the cash from insurance.