Picked up the new WRX tonight - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Picked up the new WRX tonight within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Marioshi 99% of the time they are stock and driven by non-enthusiasts and therefore unimportant and boring ...

Quote Originally Posted by Marioshi View Post
    99% of the time they are stock and driven by non-enthusiasts and therefore unimportant and boring just like most cars on the road. There is a special place in hell for the disgraceful modification of any car but I wont get into that...
    True...I was more referring to the Accords and Civics with cheap exhausts that they feel the need to rev everywhere. There is a lot of that around here...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rsutton1223 View Post
    I talked to the guys at TopSpeed and the tune is actually a safer one than stock. It will push the HP up about 20 or so and the torque up 70 (guesses...don't really know until its on the dyno), but more important than the numbers is the tune. It also creates a better curve. Should affect warranty at all as you can just reflash if you had to.
    Not quite. The tune isn't necessarily "safer" but it is tailored to suit the specific car. Either way, to dyno tune the car, it must be run very hard... in fact, a FEW pulls to redline are necessary. Considering the break-in suggests that RPMs should be kept under 4K for the first 1000 miles, I'd urge you to reconsider. 1-3 hard hours on a dyno might do more damage than you'd suspect.

No one has been able to prove/disprove the rumor that Subaru is capable of detecting if the ECU has been reflashed... perhaps that's a good sign?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Not quite. The tune isn't necessarily "safer" but it is tailored to suit the specific car. Either way, to dyno tune the car, it must be run very hard... in fact, a FEW pulls to redline are necessary. Considering the break-in suggests that RPMs should be kept under 4K for the first 1000 miles, I'd urge you to reconsider. 1-3 hard hours on a dyno might do more damage than you'd suspect.

No one has been able to prove/disprove the rumor that Subaru is capable of detecting if the ECU has been reflashed... perhaps that's a good sign?
    Appointment is on the 9th and it will be above 1k by then anyway thanks to a trip I have to take next week. There is a way to break the car in on the dyno for several hours before tuning as well. That is actually the best way to do it...but since it can't get in before then...highway miles and some mountains will have to do.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rsutton1223 View Post
    Appointment is on the 9th and it will be above 1k by then anyway thanks to a trip I have to take next week. There is a way to break the car in on the dyno for several hours before tuning as well. That is actually the best way to do it...but since it can't get in before then...highway miles and some mountains will have to do.
    Well hey! You've got a plan!

That' relatively refreshing to hear around these parts... amongst all those slapping FMIC on stock cars and the like
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Yeah I have a swp 5dr limited with spt exhaust and kartboy Sts with bushings. Sts is a nice mod. Welcome to the club you will love your subie. I switched from a gti and couldn't be happier..... Really Enjoy driving it every day. The breakin period sucks

Quote Originally Posted by YorkWRX11 View Post
    Yeah I have a swp 5dr limited with spt exhaust and kartboy Sts with bushings. Sts is a nice mod. Welcome to the club you will love your subie. I switched from a gti and couldn't be happier..... Really Enjoy driving it every day. The breakin period sucks
    Was it pretty easy to install? I really would like a shorter throw and more positive feedback out of the shifter.

I Support ClubWRX
    It's quite easy to install.You can get the entire kit at TiC 08 Impreza Super Shifter Set These are the instructions for installing the bushings

http://www.scoobymods.com/kartboy-shifter-and-bushings-wrx-t205.html?s=&threadid=205

http://www.scoobymods.com/kartboy-re...49.html?t=5049

TiC STi Shift Linkage Bushing Install

& this is a video on how to install the shifter

Last edited by rage-wrx; 04-23-2011 at 07:25 AM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Not quite. The tune isn't necessarily "safer" but it is tailored to suit the specific car.
    meh.. have you seen the a/f tables for the 09+ cars? .. they're scary Zack.. anything a little more rich in the midrange probably would be safer. I can feel mine yanking timing just about all the time because the factory tune is so lean.

Is really nice to see someone with a plan laid out though.. refreshing!
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Welcome and congrats on your new ride!

Your not going to recognize your car after the tune, it really is night and day. Add a DP and a stage 2 tune and the torque curve flattens out nicely, not a big jump in numbers but the car pulls a lot stronger on the lower end.
    2011 WRX DGM hatch Cobb DP, Inv. Q300 CB, AEM intake, DW 1000cc's, DW 300 lph pump, AP w/ custom E85 tune, STS w/bushing, 3M clear bra, and tint for now...

Yeah my cousin has a 2011 sedan we ordered the kit in a group buy for $145 each. Normally it runs $200. He installed his first then we did mine on the weekend. Everything went very fast but getting that additonal bolt on the bushing took about an hr. Everything else took about 30min max. Its very tricky to get on both since you are crammed with minimal space. All together took about 1hr to hr1/2. The center console to get to the shifter comes off and on quite easily. I really enjoy the short throw. Its a lot nicer to shift now. THe stock one seemed to be very long. If you just do the short throw and not the bushings like the above video its very fast and easy to do.
    Last edited by YorkWRX11; 04-23-2011 at 10:23 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    ^^^sounds like we had a similar experience.I could not get that 2nd bolt on the rear bushing to thread correctly,took me about an hour too.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.