OIL change question

This is a discussion on OIL change question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; HI. I just have a question about OIL change. I was the guy before (I ASked something) who have a ...

OIL change question

HI. I just have a question about OIL change. I was the guy before (I ASked something) who have a '11 WRX but not using it too often. It's like 5 months after the purchase but I only have like 2200 miles on the odo. I believe it says on the manual to change it at 3750 or 3months?

I am actually leaning on changing it just once a year (6mos interval)... BUT my problem now is we are leaving for a long drive on friday and I really want to use the WRX instead of the civic. I want to be safe with the warranty and decided I can go to local oil change shop by tomorrow and have it changed (dealers don't have available schedule for tomorrow). Do you guys recommend changing the oil with a local shop-- this would be my first oil change and first oil change by a local shop..?
    2011 WRX HB in WR blue

budding audiophile

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

do the first oil change at the dealer.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you keep your receipt I believe your warranty will remain intact. Whether the job is done correctly depends of course on the shop. Be sure to ask for the correct viscosity and class of oil, and have that documented on the receipt.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    If you keep your receipt I believe your warranty will remain intact. Whether the job is done correctly depends of course on the shop. Be sure to ask for the correct viscosity and class of oil, and have that documented on the receipt.

hay-yay-yay.... SO, lets say the oil is leaking dealer might void the warranty bcoz I did it on a local shop?

Anyways, I am far from 3750 miles BUT it says (I think--sorry I'm at work) on the manual oil has to be replaced in about 3 months? I know I drive very occasionally, do you guys follow by miles or by month?

thanks
    2011 WRX HB in WR blue

budding audiophile

I Support ClubWRX
    Follow by miles or month, whichever comes first. The dealer will not cover parts they did not install or damage caused by parts they did not install. Check the manual for warranty terms to be sure.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Your over thinking it. How long is the trip your are going to take? If the total miles puts you under 3750 take the wrx and enjoy it.

I changed my oil at 1000 miles back in November and didn't drive the car much during the winter so I'm only at 3100 now and don't plan on changing it until 4000.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    Your over thinking it. How long is the trip your are going to take? If the total miles puts you under 3750 take the wrx and enjoy it.

I changed my oil at 1000 miles back in November and didn't drive the car much during the winter so I'm only at 3100 now and don't plan on changing it until 4000.
    Eric-this will be my firsy oil change.. Yup I'm cautious on this WRX (plan on having it as long as I can). Well, the lets see how many miles--- wife told me its like 5 hours drive so if I do 70MPH it will be more or less 350 miles one way. Right now I'm at 2200 miles + 700 miles. So yeah less than 3750 miles. Please bear in mind that I'm on my 5 mos ownership of the car (no oil change yet).. What ya think?-- have you had this kind of situation?

thanks
    2011 WRX HB in WR blue

budding audiophile

Quote Originally Posted by BANSwee View Post
    Eric-this will be my firsy oil change.. Yup I'm cautious on this WRX (plan on having it as long as I can). Well, the lets see how many miles--- wife told me its like 5 hours drive so if I do 70MPH it will be more or less 350 miles one way. Right now I'm at 2200 miles + 700 miles. So yeah less than 3750 miles. Please bear in mind that I'm on my 5 mos ownership of the car (no oil change yet).. What ya think?-- have you had this kind of situation?

thanks
    Have your oil changed after your trip unless you've been driving the car aggressively. Check the oil every time you get gas. Well, you should be doing that anyway.

What do you mean a local shop? Stay away from those big chains and only use a local shop that's a mechanic's place too. Those big chains are staffed by high school kids that know nothing about cars, even how to change oil correctly. I had a buddy that had his entire fuel system blown somehow when they changed the oil at one of those places. The dealer could never figure out what they did, but the shop had to pay for it in the end.

Better yet, just change it yourself. It's a 30 minute job.....
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    What do you mean a local shop? Stay away from those big chains and only use a local shop that's a mechanic's place too. Those big chains are staffed by high school kids that know nothing about cars, even how to change oil correctly. I had a buddy that had his entire fuel system blown somehow when they changed the oil at one of those places. The dealer could never figure out what they did, but the shop had to pay for it in the end.

Better yet, just change it yourself. It's a 30 minute job.....
    haha. it was a good thing a ask you guys first. I was really gonna go tomorrow to have them change my oil. (LUBE STOP-- this is owned locally here in CLE) incidentally they have a really bad review online. I'll wait 'til we comes back ...

thanks again
    2011 WRX HB in WR blue

budding audiophile

I'm planning on going to the dealer exclusively for oil changes, no local mechanics or chains. Just wait until you get 3750 and have the dealer change it. Heck even if you changed it at 4k it wouldnt be a big deal.
    2011 WRX Limited w/ Nav, Performance Auto Solutions Tuned by Dave - 349awhp 366 ft/lbs @ 19psi E85
    Enkei PF01s, AEM Intake, PW TMIC, TS Kompact BPV, Invidia Q300 Catless Turboback, GS EBCS
    GS Uppipe, Tial MV-S 38mm EWG, FIC 1100cc Injectors, DW DW65c FP, PTP Turbo Blanket, Zeitronix ECA Gauge
    AEM Wideband & Boost Gauges, SMY Cluster, SPT Short Throw Shifter/Bushing, Anarchy Motive Shift Knob, 30% Tint

I don't even feel comfortable having a dealer change my oil. It's just someone that does not care about your car and wants to get the job done quick and move on to the next car. Not to mention they want way too much money to do it.

I prefer to only spend $30 and change it myself just for the piece of mind and it helps you get to know the car.

2011 WRX DGM Limited Hatch
    Stink-Eye Mob #408

Cobb AP Stage 1, AEM CAI, SPT CBE, Tint, Red Tail Overlays, V1 hardwire, RA Mudflaps, STI STS, HT Auto Front Lip