Snow tires
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Snow tires within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I know i'm jumping the gun here, but I'm looking ahead to next winter. I just got a my 2011 ...

Snow tires

I know i'm jumping the gun here, but I'm looking ahead to next winter. I just got a my 2011 WRX and pretty much love everything about it so far. Premium package for $27,5 so i think i did ok as far as that went, plus a roof rack that was sitting at the dealer for $100. This will be a daily driver, so i will need to get snow tires. I figure that i will get some steel rims and get the tires mounted on those for the winter, although i don't really know. I'm assuming that i don't want to just get snow tires mounted on the stock rims. With that all said, has anyone else had any experience with this and if so what should i be looking at? Due to cost, i would think that a 15 or 16 inch rim tire combo with a lower ratio would be the way to go, but i am completely new to this so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm planning on getting Continental DWS year round once winter hits. They're gonna go on the stock wheels, or some sort of Rota wheels (in which case I'd have to sell the stock wheels/tires, not just the tires). I don't drive on enough snow to warrant a dedicated set of winter tires. Think about it, once you dig your car out, the roads are already plowed.

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Like a lot of owners, I bought a second set of wheels and wrapped them in winter rubber. The summer rubber these come with stock are awful in slippery conditions, and the rubber compound actually is less grippy in colder temps. Figuring that I'll have them on for about half a year I put out the money for a set of decent alloy wheels and wrapped them with Dunlop performance winter tires. Lots of grip in the dry and great when it gets sloppy. Personally I did not want to spend half the year staring at lame steelies on my Rex. Swappping tires onto your stockers and then back off is a pain in the a$$, means getting the TPMS reset each time, and risks getting your wheels mangled up by techs twice a year. I kind of like getting to change the look a bit for half a year. Money well spent, and much safer.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

i'm actually planning on getting snow boots too. i've been hearing great reviews on the dunlop sport 3d's from tirerack. will not use steelies though. there are cheap wheels on tirerack or somewhere else that you can buy which will look better on the wrx. steelies are ok though.

if you're going to see snow and you want all-year round performance, you must have 2 sets of tires. A/S tires will make it thru but there's a significant downgrade on performance. if you're satisfied with the decrease in performance, then yes, go with A/S. some even call A/S, N/S... No Season. lol

I just mounted some hankook ice bears to the stock wheels and planned on getting some 18's and leave the stockers for winter. The ice bears ripped in the snow it ice. Was a blast to drive my car this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by markdav View Post
    I know i'm jumping the gun here, but I'm looking ahead to next winter. I just got a my 2011 WRX and pretty much love everything about it so far. Premium package for $27,5 so i think i did ok as far as that went, plus a roof rack that was sitting at the dealer for $100. This will be a daily driver, so i will need to get snow tires. I figure that i will get some steel rims and get the tires mounted on those for the winter, although i don't really know. I'm assuming that i don't want to just get snow tires mounted on the stock rims. With that all said, has anyone else had any experience with this and if so what should i be looking at? Due to cost, i would think that a 15 or 16 inch rim tire combo with a lower ratio would be the way to go, but i am completely new to this so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I jumped the gun and bought my snow tires and wheels before I even had the car, I called up tire rack and for $850 I got a set of 16" alloys with dunlop snow tires ($40 mail in rebate). Like others have said don't go with the steel wheels for an extra $50 a wheel you can get something thats nice to look at half of the year.

I had a left over set of snows from my previous car, so I went and bought a set of 16" steelies and threw them on. Now I have a dedicated winter set for under $300.

Some people don't like steelies, but if you don't mind them, I would go that route. They're inexpensive and honestly don't look all that bad.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I know this thread is a few months old, but i was wondering if anyone has a picture of their 2011 with steelies on it. I am debating whether or not to get steelies or a cheaper alloy wheel and seeing the steelies would really help.
    Stink-Eye Mob #333
    2011 Lightning Red WRX
    Stage 2+ 93

I put motegi mr118 wheels (17x8)with LM-60 blizzaks 1200 delivered for tire rack. Amazing in the snow! Like a 265 hp snowmobile!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.