Car & Driver -- 2009 WRX 17-HP & 21-lb/ft torque increase to the wheels for $322!?

This is a discussion on Car & Driver -- 2009 WRX 17-HP & 21-lb/ft torque increase to the wheels for 2!? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi Everybody, New here. Just picked up my '11 WRX limited two days ago. She's so sick. I was doing ...

Car & Driver -- 2009 WRX 17-HP & 21-lb/ft torque increase to the wheels for $322!?

Hi Everybody,

New here. Just picked up my '11 WRX limited two days ago. She's so sick.

I was doing a little modification research when I ran into this older Car & Driver article:

Five Steps to Making More Power in Your Subaru WRX - Gear Box - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver (2009).

The article makes some VERY bold statements, but Car & Driver is a VERY legit source; in particular: A K&N cold air filter yielded 17-HP & 21-lb/ft torque increase to the wheels with no tunning necessary! Too good to be true?

I talked to a Suby tech today at the shop who stated after market CAI ARE in compliance with the warranty as long as OE damage is not linked to the 3rd party equipment. It just seems too easy for $322.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I doubt its that much of an increase without a reflash... K&N air filters are bad for the allready touchy MAF sensors we have...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

I'm not planning on changing the stock intake. IMO, just go stage 1 ECU, then stage 2 with turboback exhaust when the warranty is up.
    2011 WRX Limited w/ Nav, Performance Auto Solutions Tuned by Dave - 349awhp 366 ft/lbs @ 19psi E85
    Enkei PF01s, AEM Intake, PW TMIC, TS Kompact BPV, Invidia Q300 Catless Turboback, GS EBCS
    GS Uppipe, Tial MV-S 38mm EWG, FIC 1100cc Injectors, DW DW65c FP, PTP Turbo Blanket, Zeitronix ECA Gauge
    AEM Wideband & Boost Gauges, SMY Cluster, SPT Short Throw Shifter/Bushing, Anarchy Motive Shift Knob, 30% Tint

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Word is that independent Dyno tests have been showing legitimate power/torque increases from replacing the airbox on the new 2008+ WRX... 17 whp, I'm not sure I believe, however...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC