what can i get for my money? 19k to spend
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on what can i get for my money? 19k to spend within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; as of right now, i have saved up 12,000. My dad agreed to match whatever i pay but when i ...

what can i get for my money? 19k to spend

as of right now, i have saved up 12,000. My dad agreed to match whatever i pay but when i got to 8000, he put a limit on it. I have a job as a busboy at possibly the nicest steak houses in town and make around 60-100 a night in tips. I could easily save up more money but i want your guys opinions. Performance wise, the 09 winds hands down. 265 hp stock is amazing but the body style of the hatch and sedan are disgusting. I really like the 06-07 but they just dont perform as well as the newer wrx's and most of them are beat and have higher milage. If i could pick any model, i would go with the 2011 wrx forsure. The huge sti fenders they put on it and the other options added are a big improvement. However, i know that there will be no used 2011's up for sale. What is the lowest OTD price i could get on a 2011 wrx hatch with taxes? Is it even worth it to get the 2011 over the 2009? Keep in mind, im 17 and am a junior in high school. I know insurance is going to be up there but my dad agreed to pay however much my insurance is now(2008 altima) and i will pay the difference.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You could take that 19K and put it toward a brand new one and finance ~8K and your payment would be about 150 a month on a brand new car... cant beat that...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    You could take that 19K and put it toward a brand new one and finance ~8K and your payment would be about 150 a month on a brand new car... cant beat that...
    sounds like a great idea. the only problem is 150 a month plus insurance is going to be aboue 300 a month. What type of warrenty comes standard on these and what exactly does it cover? my friends sti clutch went out at 15k miles and they would not replace it. Also, my parents are arguing again me not to get one because i will be going to college soon and will never drive it. I completely disagree with that and i hope to keep it untill around 80k miles

Even with a used one your insurance will still be high... The first car that I had that was licenced was a 94 Camaro z28 when I was 16 and my insurance was 280 a month... For years after that it was still really high even with slow and boring cars just part of being that age.... The standard warranty (bumper to bumper) is 3 years 36K miles and a 5 year 60K miles powertrain warranty... If you buy a new one you'll know its never been beat up and you'll be able to keep it for a lot longer then 80K miles... With you being in school will also keep the miles off it as well which is a good thing... I'm sure if you made some large payments and paid it off quick you can always drop your insurance to just liability as well...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by miniracer43
    Keep in mind, im 17 and am a junior in high school.
    Honestly, keep your Altima. Save your money for college, man; you'll be much happier in the long run.

Nice cars in college campus parking lots seem to be magnets for damage; people bump your car parking, their door swings open and hits it, and drunk people fall into them. I've seen it happen multiple times, and most times, the person just left, so the owner is stuck footing the bill.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

You could wait until you turn 18 and get prostitutes until you're 30 with that cash. Forget the car!!
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

I Support ClubWRX
    I see two options here.

1: Save your money and drive a beater through college.

2: Blow it all on hookers and dope your freshman year in college. 12k makes one hell of a good party. You'll be friends with the whole campus! Just think of the business connections you'll make for later on in life!

You said you currently have an 08 altima right? Safe to assume you aren't making any type of payments on the altima? Assuming that there is nothing wrong with it and you don't need a new car, I think you should just save your money. Oh and your 12k + your dad's matching 8k is 20k, not 19k An altima is a pretty decent car, and it will definitely serve you well through college.

For 17yrs old that's a lot of money to have saved and clearly (to me) it shows that you are responsible, so I think based on that you should make the responsible decision when it comes to possibly getting a new car.

If you really want to have a fun little car maybe put 2-3k into a beater project car. I know people who have bought plenty of quick enough cars for that. Assuming that you want a faster car I think your needs could be met there and you'll be able to learn about cars and working on cars ect....

I know it's nice to have a really nice, fast car and all, but I really think you'll be able to enjoy it more after college. You already have a nicer car than most 17yr olds and you should definitely just stick with that IMO.

EDIT: +1 to hookers and blow
    Last edited by xFalleNx; 04-13-2011 at 06:22 AM. Reason: more hookers and blow
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    You said you currently have an 08 altima right? Safe to assume you aren't making any type of payments on the altima? Assuming that there is nothing wrong with it and you don't need a new car, I think you should just save your money. Oh and your 12k + your dad's matching 8k is 20k, not 19k An altima is a pretty decent car, and it will definitely serve you well through college.

For 17yrs old that's a lot of money to have saved and clearly (to me) it shows that you are responsible, so I think based on that you should make the responsible decision when it comes to possibly getting a new car.

If you really want to have a fun little car maybe put 2-3k into a beater project car. I know people who have bought plenty of quick enough cars for that. Assuming that you want a faster car I think your needs could be met there and you'll be able to learn about cars and working on cars ect....

I know it's nice to have a really nice, fast car and all, but I really think you'll be able to enjoy it more after college. You already have a nicer car than most 17yr olds and you should definitely just stick with that IMO.

EDIT: +1 to hookers and blow
    Sorry meant to put 11k. Yes the altima is mine. I put 6000 down on it and my dad put 6000 down leaving me with 5k left over. I really dont want to mod this car because its a horrible base to start with. If it had the vq35 engine in it, then it would be a different story but its a inline 4 with csv transmission. I know i would not be driving it much during college but do you think it would be worth it to drive now through high school then leave it at my house since i will most likely be going in state and have a car for summer then when im out of college still have an awsome car?

I Support ClubWRX
    No I don't think that's worth it.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    No I don't think that's worth it.
    Ya see? Another vote for hookers and blow!

Quote Originally Posted by miniracer43 View Post
    Sorry meant to put 11k. Yes the altima is mine. I put 6000 down on it and my dad put 6000 down leaving me with 5k left over. I really dont want to mod this car because its a horrible base to start with. If it had the vq35 engine in it, then it would be a different story but its a inline 4 with csv transmission. I know i would not be driving it much during college but do you think it would be worth it to drive now through high school then leave it at my house since i will most likely be going in state and have a car for summer then when im out of college still have an awsome car?
    Maybe I can offer a different opinion. I'm just turned 18 but have had my 08 WRX since i was 15...my parents wouldn't let me learn manual on their cars... and i was still a lucky guy nonetheless. Gotta say I loved driving my car as is for hte last 2.5 years and have only thought about modding now. But in reality having a summer car? don't make up a ridiculous situation for yourself more than likely you'll still spend most of your time on campus an when your off you're doing laundry, going out to dinenr with your parents, or flying down to cabo with hopefully 5 of the hottest girls you can find.........but i digress. Keep your car current car unless you want to drive it in college everyday, the WRX or STI for that matter is a fun daily driver and if you want to enjoy it, enjoy it. But i wouldn't just put it on a shelf you know, not to mention that is hard on the car if it sits 9 out of 12 months in the year. I think just like EJ and others said be prepared for the worst/hope for the best if you go through with it.

also i've decided i can't not like a website where everyone tells a 17 year old to be so fiscally responsible.....but remember donkey shows are a waste of money
    .....decision time haha

Quote Originally Posted by miniracer43 View Post
    Hell if you're not even going to to be able to enjoy it, that's only more of a reason to stick with the Nissan lol. I don't think I'd be able to even concentrate in school knowing I have that car that I can't drive lol.

Well I'm glad you know that modding the Nissan would be a waste of money lol. As nice as it would be to get an '11 WRX now and have a small monthly payment, it would definitely suck to be making a payment on a car you're not driving. I think you should stick with the Nissan until after college and then maybe you'll even be able to afford a new STi
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I think you should stick with your altima for longer. I am a 17 year old high school senior but the reason that I ordered my 2011 WRX was because my parents are buying me the car as a gift for getting into a good college. Still waiting for my car to get delivered but no matter what I think you should keep the nissan and then buy something better after you get to college. Remember one thing, if you get into a good college and have a good life after you can buy any car you want.

Banned
    How come you bought a 2008 Altima if you wanted a WRX? How long have you had said altima?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast