ATX, Just bought a broken 02 wagon, trying to get her on the road.

This is a discussion on ATX, Just bought a broken 02 wagon, trying to get her on the road. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; OK , heres my story, I need pointers , Adders, anything you can tell me about what I am getting ...

ATX, Just bought a broken 02 wagon, trying to get her on the road.

OK , heres my story, I need pointers , Adders, anything you can tell me about what I am getting myself into. "i mean Gotten myself into"
    OK Ive wanted a wrx for a long time, Ive had pretty much everything under the sun
    94 z28 396
    90 teg ls turbo blown
    91 teg ls handling set up .parted
    94 teg Turbo "cops took"
    98 ITR stock /cry sold
    90 vette 383 sold
    95 vette Lti 396 sold
    90 300zx tt 550 hp sold
    69 mustang mach 1 650 hp 408 restomod. /cry sold
    But None , Have I felt more excited with then this Scooby, Its a drivers car and I am soo into that. .
    OK I was planning to buy a bug eye, at around 9k but decided to get a shell and build an engine.
    I ended up finding an 02 bug eye wagon, in blue, "dam near my dream car"
    YouTube - CIMG0041.mp4
    4k, complete shell with running/ knocking engine, "owner lost tune, overboosted, "end of story. 133,000 miles roughly, In pretty good shape. . ., turbo looks new too XD all < NON ebay stage 2 parts I believe and 2k in tires and wheels , as well as 3 grand in suspension. “all nice stuff” not a bad deal
    Trying to build this car "in my garage with exception of possible tuning for 5k or less.
    My plan:
    I want a car i can tune to a possible 300 HP, and still be tunable to 30 mpg on the street or as close as possible ,
    My question is . . . Is this dream possible ?
    Been doing a lil research and found an forged piston 2.5 from import image racing for around 2800
    I know i would need 400 in head work , and roughly 400 for injectors, also fuel pump, "basic gasket kit. " not to sure what head gasket to run at that point. Dont really expect to find any suprises. .
    What i need to check, is . experiance anyone here has had with this hybrid, or even people who live near me who can , somewhat educate me in everthing that is subaru, and deals around my area.. Also , is the company id like to buy the engine from , Reliable ?
    Also, Id like to know if it is still possible, after running this set up . To still get my target Gas mileage.

Oh yea, Heres some pics and mabe some specs if i get bored . . .

Last edited by twistymaster; 04-12-2011 at 04:01 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

mabe , i should have jumped strait to the engine thread. . .

Also , Im not too interested in changing the cams,
    DO i still have to upgrade the fuel system.
    Reason being is that , Id like to still be able to get decent gas mileage. " i know how to keep my foot out
    Last edited by twistymaster; 04-12-2011 at 05:40 PM.

Been doing alot of cleaning. Found some nice parts she's got. Still building the engine.. Heads are expensive

Suspension:

• Pro-Drive Springs
    • Koni adjustable strut insert
    • Whiteline adjustable control arms
    • Whiteline Rear Lateral Endlinks
    • Whiteline ALK Anti Dive kit
    • Whiteline Front Alloy Endlinks
    • Whiteline Camber Plates
    • Whiteline Front & Rear sway bars
    • Whiteline Swaybar HD mount
    • Whiteline Roll center Bump steer kit
    • Braided brake lines
    • Cusco Lower chassis Brace
    • Sti BBs Wheels
    • Kumho ecsta ast

Engine:

• Hybrid Build
    • 2.5 Liter STi semi-closed deck short block
    • EJ257 Sti Semi Closed deck Engine Block
    • EJ257 Sti Forged Rods
    • EJ257 Sti Forged crankshaft
    • Vigilant Motorsports/ CP forged pistons
    • High Performance Piston Rings
    • EJ 20 cylinder Heads Equilibrium Tuning 2.5L CNC chamber match to Sti 2.5
    • Cobb Crank Pully
    • Samco Hoses
    • Spt intake
    • ARP head studs
    • Sti Oil Pump
    • Sti Oil pan
    • DW 650cc injectors
    • Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump
    • Pro Drive catless up pipe
    • Pro Drive Catless Down pipe
    • Sti Intercooler
    • Cusco Heat Shield

Exterior:

• Sti Hood Scoop
    • Sti Grill

Inside:

• Cartboy Shifter
    • Leather 04 wrx seats
    • Madadd Guages

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by twistymaster View Post
    My plan:
    I want a car i can tune to a possible 300 HP, and still be tunable to 30 mpg on the street or as close as possible ,
    My question is . . . Is this dream possible ?
    It may be possible but it doesn't seem even remotely probable.

Enjoy the car. With the Konis and those wheels it will be lots of fun for sure.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I don't see how you are going to approach 30mpg - unless you flash settings that put the car in "vallet" mode where the boost won't build pressure, and flash again for track day.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

subaru's are great! but you do not buy a subaru for gas mileage... and you most definitely do not build an engine for gas mileage...

build the car up to how you want it and get a cheap beater thats good on gas!

-Alex
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

2003 WRX wagon 16g + 6 speed

I’m going to run two different tunes "ill just open source it and plug them to my laptop" , plus an ob2 mpg reader.
    I should have no problem on trips. I should get at least 26-28 Maybe 30 with the right road. I’m only talking long distance trips here, Big bend, Pala dura canyon. . . I’d probably re-tune and drive like a jackass on close trips. This has always been my dream car, yea kinda goofy. MY SCOOBY WAGON. Ive always dreamed of haveing an actual road race car. But i would probably never in my wildest dreams have the cash to back such a project. I guess that means toys are the thing, and this toy can hold babies, groceries, the dog. And still give local "rich, Porche, firrari" driver No chance when trying to catch me on Lime Creek. Or any other local twisties. Use to run a street bike group around this area and all i did for two years was go out and tear up tires. Calmed down a bunch when I had to start paying my own tickets. "OMFG I am babbling" I just wish we had a real race track clost to me, probably would have gone with a STI back when i had my 600 hp 69 mach 1. They are, currently building a F1 track within 15-25 miles of my home. I doubt they would let anyone drive on it, Idd kill to drive on a real track, and not tearing it up Touge style at 3 AM on the lake roads around here. It is a negetive however it looks like a High Speed track, the layout on the net anyhow. A few S turns from the looks but I guess id have to be there , the map doesn't always show the best of elevation nor slight turns. We shall See.
    BACK TO TOPIC>

Looks like i am going to have to change my turbo, too much shaft play for my taste. Plus I can’t really feel confident with ANY! Part on my car going bad with me still driving it. Bought a Fully Forged EJ257. My heads are currently with Equilibrium Tuning "great guy". So well over that HP mark is possible. But dont want that much power on my performance tune. Dont want to blow my tranny. Maybe with some half cut PPG's in the future. . Although I do like the Adjustable Diff set up in the STI.
    Been reading the forums a bunch. Decided not to post too much because I’ve already got an infraction for my Wild vocabulary.

Already Over my budget. Luckely I have a GF and a car im parting out helping me with funds.

Probably going to have to find someone local to do a cheap Break in tune for me. Still need to order a either used vf turbo or mabe just a cheap TD05. I really want to build this car "CORE FIRST" then be able to add to it.
    Meaning, more reliable than the stock motor and ill still be able to crank up the juice later. Hopefully that Ed's head work will make this Hybrid perform amazingly. Im trying to figure out if I should go with shimless heads or not. Mine have out of place shims "yea, dont turn a motor while its on a rotisserie with the dam head wide open. All my shims came out all over the ground. "DFJKLSDFJKL:SDFLJK" Inded. Anyhow. Been reading a bit about doing the reshim and measuring. Hope when my heads get back, And bolted back to my block with my new ARP's I can do the measuring with all my shop tools. "Have very expensive calipers and such" .
    Anyhow any input is why I come to fourms, thanks for taking the time to comment.

And SD_GR I sure hope the suspension drives nice. I didnt put any of that on , Nor Have I driven the car yet. But Id like to think that for 4k I got a good deal ey ? Alot of good parts on there. . Not mentioning the torn up front right axle and the clutch.
    Last edited by twistymaster; 05-18-2011 at 05:28 PM.

With that list of suspension mods and how the body looks, I'd say that was a good deal bro.

OOOAaaaoaooooo

Thats SWEET!!! mr Sweet