Greetings From Zimbabwe - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on Greetings From Zimbabwe within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; ctfireman, the pictures are a bit deceptive. its more like a faded red colour, the code for it is "06C" ...

ctfireman, the pictures are a bit deceptive. its more like a faded red colour, the code for it is "06C" it's called "Rose" :P

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

this is what the colour looks like in real life :P in desperate need of TLC (polish and buff and all that)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011-06-16 06.46.38.jpg   2011-06-16 06.48.36.jpg   2011-06-16 06.47.49.jpg   2011-06-16 06.48.52.jpg  

excuse the quality of the photos, used my cellphones camera

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    But the paint is in good shape... that's surprising for a Subaru
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

overall, pretty good condition. there are scratches on the bumper, that the cellphone didnt get :P and the clear coat has completely come off the wing.

Just got it back had all of its vital fluids flushed (oil, AT, Diff, Coolant) and some new filters. going to have new plugs in next week, and all the civilised bits will be taken out of the exhaust. also had all the suspension components looked at (was squeaking, most likely salt and dirt for being stationary for over 3 months).

One very, very strange thing is that the front wheels are higher than the back ones. theres a 2 and a half finger gap between the top of the front tyre and the fender, but in the back the gap is 1 finger. The mechanic said that it's fine. But it makes no sense to me. the wheels are all the same size, its all wheel drive, why not have the gap the same in the back and the front, at the very least it'd look better :P

Another thing that strikes me as odd, all of my cars power is right at the top end of the rev range. from about 5000rpm to about 6500rpm, the turbo kicks in at about 3000rpm, but you can hardly feel it. It pushes 1.1bar of boost in the high revs, but manages to feel slower than my old caldina which was about 400-500kg's heavier...
    Is it normal for a WRX's power band to sit near the top of the rev range?

also upon further inspection, my card does not have Enkei rims, a zero/sports exhaust or AEM engine managment... it does have a Blitz boost gauge, cusco coilovers and some no-name brand 3" turbo back exhaust (with cats and a resonator in it )... oh well, i guess some of that stuff was a little too good to be true for the money I paid.

Cusco coilovers are adjustable. You can have the front lowered, but the lower you go the harsher the ride. On the stock North American models the front is noticeably higher than the rear.

I'm not as familiar with the Japanese market bugeyes as some, but in third gear you should have full boost between 3500-6000rpm, then it should to tapper off. Sounds like you might have a boost leak.
    Is the check engine light on?

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by n0ugh7 View Post
    Another thing that strikes me as odd, all of my cars power is right at the top end of the rev range. from about 5000rpm to about 6500rpm, the turbo kicks in at about 3000rpm, but you can hardly feel it. It pushes 1.1bar of boost in the high revs, but manages to feel slower than my old caldina which was about 400-500kg's heavier...
    Is it normal for a WRX's power band to sit near the top of the rev range?
    Yes. The EJ205s in all markets are noticeably laggy motors. Your EJ205 is the JDM variety, so you do have AVCS... but the intake-only AVCS only accounts for a few ft-lbs of torque in the mid-range (hardly noticeable). The main issue is that the EJ205 WRX has dismal compression ratio (8:1), small displacement, considerable back pressure, and a lot of driveline to move. Added on, USDM WRXs have fairly tall gear ratios. This is the reason the rest of the world upgraded to 2.5L (and the lack of homologation rules).
    Last edited by zax; 07-19-2013 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Wow old-school grammar fix!
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Yes. The EJ205s in all markets are noticeably laggy motors. You're EJ205 is the JDM variety, so you do have AVCS... but the intake-only AVCS only accounts for a few ft-lbs of torque in the mid-range (hardly noticeable). The main issue is that the EJ205 WRX has dismal compression ratio (8:1), small displacement, considerable back pressure, and a lot of driveline to move. Added on, USDM WRXs have fairly tall gear ratios. This is the reason the rest of the world upgraded to 2.5L (and the lack of homologation rules).
    The 2.0L engine has more lag than the 2.5L engine, but not that much more. Something's not right.

well, when the car is at its peak boost before i change gear the needle on the boost gauge swings around pretty wildly. the CEL isn't on, but could that be because the bulb is popped :P it doesn't come on when i put the ignition to the "on" position before starting it. every other car has a CEL at that point (possibly for the very purpose of telling you if the bulb works :P)

it pulls really hard when i hit about 4500-5000 revs, but is pretty flat before then. according to the boost gauge i'm pushing about 0.5bar until I hit 4500-5000rpm. my caldina only used to boost about 0.7bar (I didn't have a boost gauge on that, so I'm going on the estimate based on what I've read on the internet about it)

seattlejeremy, I was thinking of raising the back to the same level as the front :P some of the roads here are pretty bad, lowering anything would lead to fairly hefty bills

my bugeye is also a 4EAT, if that makes a difference

Quote Originally Posted by n0ugh7 View Post
    well, when the car is at its peak boost before i change gear the needle on the boost gauge swings around pretty wildly. the CEL isn't on, but could that be because the bulb is popped :P it doesn't come on when i put the ignition to the "on" position before starting it. every other car has a CEL at that point (possibly for the very purpose of telling you if the bulb works :P)
    Seeing as the people you purchased the car from lied about the parts installed, then it makes sense they would hide the check engine light in this fashion (removing the bulb or putting tape over the led). Are there any ECU tuning shops or modern auto repair shops in your area? They can pull the codes, then you can list them here and we can work to figure out the issues.

If there isn't anything in your area then I suggest you invest in a Tactrix cable, wide band O2 sensor and a laptop. With this cable you can look at the codes yourself, data log the performance of the car, and have a tuner make a map that will work with the cars current mods.
    Tactrix

It's possible the car had an AEM engine management system and other mods, but the car was de-modded to be sold the stock map was loaded on. A turbo back exhaust with the stock map isn't so go for the car. I suggest not doing anymore full boost runs until a proper map is installed.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast