Greetings From Zimbabwe - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on Greetings From Zimbabwe within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I read up a bit on "mail order" tunes. I guess it would be better than nothing, but apparently they're ...

I read up a bit on "mail order" tunes. I guess it would be better than nothing, but apparently they're a bit generic.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by n0ugh7 View Post
    I read up a bit on "mail order" tunes. I guess it would be better than nothing, but apparently they're a bit generic.
    Actually they can be quite good. Sometimes a little time consuming, as they are more of a trial and error until it's just as you want it. But they are generally better than an OTS tune.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

hmm, thats food for thought. let me get my act together and buy some bits for my car, so that i can save some $$$ and get 1 tune as opposed to a whole bunch after each mod.

ideally i'd like to be in the 325bhp-350bhp region. but thats a long way down the line

Best to start with a tune that works with the Fuel in your area. Use the highest octane/RON unleaded you have access to.
    Leaded fuel will destroy the cats. I believe there are two catalytic converters after the turbo on this car. The Japanese models did not have a cat in the Uppipe.

so that means no benefit in fitting an aftermarket uppipe? hmm, then that means i need to find a mail order tuner, asap, because my first mod was going to be a 2.5" straight turbo back exhaust.

SeattleJeremy, I just read the links on your signature. when I said 325bhp-350bhp, I meant in like a years time. I've just come from driving a 300bhp Toyota Caldina GT-T which was only 300-400kg heavier than the bug eye i'm getting just got a feeling that i needed to defend myself from being labeled a big talker :P
    Last edited by n0ugh7; 06-21-2011 at 10:41 AM.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    SeattleJeremy, I just read the links on your signature. when I said 325bhp-350bhp, I meant in like a years time. I've just come from driving a 300bhp Toyota Caldina GT-T which was only 100kg heavier than the bug eye i'm getting just got a feeling that i needed to defend myself from being labeled a big talker :P
    325 bhp is certainly not an unreasonable goal, and actually quite refreshing. A fair number of new members (typically young teen members) post threads asking for quick and dirty ways to hit 400 whp (~500-525 bhp), which is why Jeremy has posted those links in his sig...
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

ye, the way i see it a car with 325bhp-350bhp, that has sharp handling and a nice sounding exhaust is plenty. i also suspect that maintaining a car thats making 400whp, is no small task either... nor a cheap one
    Last edited by n0ugh7; 04-12-2011 at 01:15 PM.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    i also suspect that maintaining a car thats making 400whp, is not small task either... nor a cheap one
    and in many cases, not a great DD.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

just a quick one, incase anyone knows. would my 01' JDM WRX-NB be that fussy about being tuned after each mod? would i risk breaking anything by putting on a HKS SSQV BOV, a CAI and a big fat straight through exhaust? i've heard and read conflicting reports, which is why i ask. I had a local guy with a classic here tell me that tuning isnt that important. I know it is quite important, but i'd like to get the bits and then get a tune.

hmmm, perhaps that wasnt such a quick one :P

Yea, 300BHP is totally reasonable given time and planning. That 400BHP link is always in my signature. It's not there to call you out ^_^.

Subaru's don't come with Vent to Atmosphere BOV's from the factory, so installing a Vent at atmosphere BOV makes the car run rich between shifts. Please read this thread concerning BOV's

CAI's can add HP, but the ECU must be tuned to run this mod.
    The most common Turbo back exhaust size is 3", 2.5" would be restrictive above 300BHP. But again to run an aftermarket downpipe (catted or catless) requires a tune.

It's best to install all the hardware at once, and load the new custom made map before start up or load it before installing, what ever is easier.
    Check out http://www.tactrix.com/ for tuning cables and map help.

SeatleJeremy, thanks

Anyone know if a Cobb will work in my car? all I've found are conflicting reports and nothing about my specific model.

SeatleJeremy, thanks

Anyone know if a Cobb will work in my car? all I've found are conflicting reports and nothing about my specific model.
    I would say no but the best thing to do is call them. They have great customer service and are very helpful
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast