Bottoming out when launching hard
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Bottoming out when launching hard within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello all, just wanted to see if this is a common issue, and what the solution most likely will be. ...

Bottoming out when launching hard

Hello all, just wanted to see if this is a common issue, and what the solution most likely will be. If I dump the clutch in first while I'm hammering the gas, the rear end suspension bottoms out (hard). I obviously haven't been doing this any more after it happened the first couple times. I'm guessing that I need to replace the struts, but any advise would be much appreciated.

I have an '04 WRX sedan. The car is bone stock (for now) with 82k miles.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The rear suspension should have over 15 cm of travel. It is more likely you are hearing a loud "THUNK" as the driveline slops, especially if you inspect the struts and find nothing physically wrong with them.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

You need moar low and some NOS!!!!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Is there a way to eliminate the driveline slop, or is this just something every AWD, manual transmission car has? Also, is there a technique I can use where the driveline won't "thunk?" Thanks for the reply.

My advice is do not dump the clutch in first gear. Or at all with a stock WRX. Or modded, for that matter, unless you've put a LOT of money into the driveline. Tranny- Doesn't like that treatment. Clutch- REALLY doesn't like that treatment. Rear driveshaft- you guessed it...doesn't like that treatment. Rear axles/diff- Still, again, don't like it. From anything I've heard, doing that kind of stunt repeatedly is a good way to end up with grenaded transmissions, dead clutches, and twisted/snapped driveshafts and axles... the WRX may be beefier than a standard impreza, but while its a rally-based car...it's certainly no rally car. The stock parts won't last very long with that kind of power being suddenly introduced to them. I agree with the driveline slop- and the way to fix it is to take off gently, THEN stop on the gas once the clutch has been fully released. There's a thread on here somewhere about proper launching technique but to be honest, I'd stick to gentle starts. Good luck with your scoob, and welcome to the forums. : )

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pylonpounder View Post
    My advice is do not dump the clutch in first gear. Or at all with a stock WRX. Or modded, for that matter, unless you've put a LOT of money into the driveline. Tranny- Doesn't like that treatment. Clutch- REALLY doesn't like that treatment. Rear driveshaft- you guessed it...doesn't like that treatment. Rear axles/diff- Still, again, don't like it. From anything I've heard, doing that kind of stunt repeatedly is a good way to end up with grenaded transmissions, dead clutches, and twisted/snapped driveshafts and axles... the WRX may be beefier than a standard impreza, but while its a rally-based car...it's certainly no rally car. The stock parts won't last very long with that kind of power being suddenly introduced to them. I agree with the driveline slop- and the way to fix it is to take off gently, THEN stop on the gas once the clutch has been fully released. There's a thread on here somewhere about proper launching technique but to be honest, I'd stick to gentle starts. Good luck with your scoob, and welcome to the forums. : )
    Trans will be the first thing to go. Don't do clutch dumps...if you're trying to spin the tires (which you wont do in a stock WRX) rev to 5500-6k and then float the clutch slowly out until you start moving forward a tiny bit...then dump it the rest of the way. Look at my mod lists. I'm pushing about 300% of your power AND I have PPGs to beat on...I can't even chirp the tires by dumping the clutch from a dead stop.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    There are various kits available, usually a few bolts and bushings. They deal with the rear chassis and the potential for movement at the differential.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks for the info everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Trans will be the first thing to go. Don't do clutch dumps...if you're trying to spin the tires (which you wont do in a stock WRX) rev to 5500-6k and then float the clutch slowly out until you start moving forward a tiny bit...then dump it the rest of the way. Look at my mod lists. I'm pushing about 300% of your power AND I have PPGs to beat on...I can't even chirp the tires by dumping the clutch from a dead stop.
    Hmmm. I would never try to launch my wrx that way, I like it too much. But, I did (silly me) let a friend drive it once and he chirped all four tires from a stop without revving very high... And I've had all four tires step out on me while in the process of emergency evasive action. Taking a left from a stop, up a hill, 25 MPH zone- no one in sight, though theres a blind corner about 150 yards from the stop sign. come out a lil and someone flies around that corner coming down the hill closer to 50 than 25....stepped on it in first and the whole thing kicked sideways, tires spun like crazy, tire smoke everywhere...but it certainly won't do that everyday, must have been something slick on the road there i think, despite it being 75 and sunny. I have a hybrid motor with a td04..but the extra torque from a hybrid still shouldn't make my tires spin more easily than your worked STi...

Noodles Aren't My Concern twistedphrame's Avatar
    I split my time btwn Atlantic and Warren County NJ
    I Support ClubWRX
    It may have been that you were turning (I assume it was a hard left?) the car should be resistant to moving forward so it pushed forward and started spinning around with the front wheels as a pivot.

I Support ClubWRX
    it also depends on tires.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

hehe... I've lit up all 4 before on a clutch dump...

...in 4 inches of snow.

Seriously, don't do it. It's not even the fastest way to go - you basically want to keep your revs to about 4-5k, slowly let out the clutch never letting it get too much below that - in essence turning the clutch into a quickly burning CVT. It's one hell of a lot cheaper to replace a clutch than to replace a transmission or rear diff.

To get rid of all that slop (but you have to promise not to clutch dump anymore), just do bushings. I'd suggest picking up unabomber's sexy rearend from Turn In Concepts, and you'll be very happy.

But again, don't clutch dump unless you have a ton of money, and even then it's not the fastest way to go.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Mmm, the turn is what i was thinking. Also, it's at a slant to the left. I did have semi-slick track tires on at the time, so that may have helped a little. Though they should have more grip on pavement, I think. Tires definitely aren't my specialty. Sorry for that little thread hijack >.>

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Launching "hard" often costs between 4 and 6 Thousand dollars. Once you break the transmission it will be realized how foolIsh it was.

The noise your hearing is the violent transfer of power caused by dumping the clutch.
    Last edited by SonicWagon; 04-09-2011 at 05:55 AM.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pylonpounder View Post
    Hmmm. I would never try to launch my wrx that way, I like it too much. But, I did (silly me) let a friend drive it once and he chirped all four tires from a stop without revving very high... And I've had all four tires step out on me while in the process of emergency evasive action. Taking a left from a stop, up a hill, 25 MPH zone- no one in sight, though theres a blind corner about 150 yards from the stop sign. come out a lil and someone flies around that corner coming down the hill closer to 50 than 25....stepped on it in first and the whole thing kicked sideways, tires spun like crazy, tire smoke everywhere...but it certainly won't do that everyday, must have been something slick on the road there i think, despite it being 75 and sunny. I have a hybrid motor with a td04..but the extra torque from a hybrid still shouldn't make my tires spin more easily than your worked STi...
    Why not? If burnouts are your goal this is going to be your best option while reducing snapping your driveline into pixie dust. I've broken loose all four through a turn. That's not hard to do.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.