Help with the research Stage, experienced tuners welcome :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Help with the research Stage, experienced tuners welcome :) within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi guys I've been doing some work the last little while and will have plenty of free time and a ...

Help with the research Stage, experienced tuners welcome :)

Hi guys I've been doing some work the last little while and will have plenty of free time and a small stockpile of cash, about 4k, to throw at my 2008 Impreza WRX. Atm I'm trying to plan out the basic mods I would like to do to my car. So far the only parts i know im definite on are sway bars after seeing the difference they made on my friends volvo S60 and that is also my complete experience with car modding. I will be trying to stick to DIY processes as much as possible because I want to A.) have the mods but B.) also be able to understand what i have done to my car and how it works.

I've been trolling the internet the last week and have made some vague progress in learning about tuning. IF i could be pointed in the direction of any resources that would be valuable learning tool, please link or if a book give title and author. Also feel free to list any mods you think i should investigate or research or if you want to explain them yourself feel free
    Last edited by The Subie Newbie; 04-11-2011 at 11:29 PM. Reason: would like to change title from tuners to modders now that i know the difference : /

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    This should keep you busy for a couple of days Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC
    May I suggest changing the endlinks when you change the sways.Also look into bushings.If you don't have the short shifter definitely get that.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Where do you feel your car is lacking? Power? Suspension? Driveline?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

When I've pushed my car i found that i'm fairly unconfortable with the amount the car roll, therefore the sway bars. But aside from that i wouldn't say anything is lacking more or less because i haven't driven anything better to know. I don't know that power is an issue as it goes plenty fast already, the fastest i've gotten it to go is 140 so i don't think going faster is necessary :/ ... though off the line could be faster, but i don't have anywhere to legally race so.... i really only care to worry about staying in the realm of DIY mods but anything that I can learn to do I'm game to put on my car. At that point any modifications while i have the money sound like a good addition as I plan to be driving this car for a while

I Support ClubWRX
    If handling is what you would like to improve then definitely adjustable sway bars,endlinks & bushings are what you are looking for.Also maybe better tires?And brakes.These are all DIY mods.You can find videos of installs on youtube.If there is any specific DIY install instructions you are looking for feel free to ask.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

One thing im interested in is coilovers but there seem to be too many brands and choices. I don't want to lower my cars ride height much more than it is. I would say no more than 20 mm. Having said that is any style better than others? I've seen one that look just like shocks with the spring s around. I saw a couple that look like they also replace the struts or something. Are there any benefits to different styles and how much should i expect to spend on a good set ( i don't need the 100% best track set since the car will still be mostly a daily driver but i would like an upgraded suspension.)

Couldn't agree more. Maybe sway bars and struts and steel brake lines.
    Fairly cheap and you'll feel a tighter ride right away

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/High...nce-Brake-Line

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Sway-Bars
    Last edited by Nebuka; 04-07-2011 at 07:08 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by The Subie Newbie
    When I've pushed my car i found that i'm fairly unconfortable with the amount the car roll, therefore the sway bars. But aside from that i wouldn't say anything is lacking more or less because i haven't driven anything better to know. I don't know that power is an issue as it goes plenty fast already, the fastest i've gotten it to go is 140 so i don't think going faster is necessary :/ ... though off the line could be faster, but i don't have anywhere to legally race so.... i really only care to worry about staying in the realm of DIY mods but anything that I can learn to do I'm game to put on my car. At that point any modifications while i have the money sound like a good addition as I plan to be driving this car for a while
    If you're content with power, leave it alone at the moment. If you think you wouldn't mind having a bit more power, consider a turboback/reflash.

For anything suspension/driveline, I suggest giving these guys a call:
    - Turn in Concepts
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Turbo back / Reflash / springs / sways / endlinks...

Don't waste your time with a set of coil overs unless your willing to spend good money on a coilover that will be decent on the street.

The only coils I'd buy right now are the RCE Tarmacs.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

This is a. Great thread. Exactly the kind of stuff I'm interested in for my 08 WRX! Hope I don't sound dumb, but does the car already have sway bars and better ones make a difference?? Also, I think a short shifter would be cool, is that inexpensive mod?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Status08WRX View Post
    This is a. Great thread. Exactly the kind of stuff I'm interested in for my 08 WRX! Hope I don't sound dumb, but does the car already have sway bars and better ones make a difference?? Also, I think a short shifter would be cool, is that inexpensive mod?
    Yes,the car already has sway bars.Yes aftermarket sways make a difference depending on what type of handling you are looking for.I just put in my new short shifter.Kartboy 08 Impreza short shift lever,but it is recommended that you go all the way & change the bushings as well TiC 08 Impreza Super Shifter Set
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    This should keep you busy for a couple of days Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC.
    And when you're done with that... Here's another month or two worth of reading

OPENSOURCE TUNING: Your questions answered here!!! RomRaider + Tactrix

This is a great place to start if you plan on learning to tune yourself. I've been on this for about a month now
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Thumbs up Parts List so far......

Thanks for all the input, im working my way through most of it. Some of it is a little above my head but i assume or rather hope by the time im done reading it all when i go back to skim it all, the pieces will fall into place.

On a parts note I've essentially just goneover a couple different impreza/subaru forums and compiled a list of parts/brands.

This is what im thinking so far based on what I've read/what i think i would like to go for...I'm also including links to the parts (good pricing?too much?wrong seller?)
    22/22 Whiteline F/R Adjustable Sway Bars (hard setting on front and medium on back is what i've read is best for reducing understeer, though it does seem a little counter-intuitive i'm letting it go)-- I decided on 22/22 rather than 24/22or 25/22 because a lot of people seemed apprehensive about it being too aggresive, i don't have any experience but i don't exactly want to get 22/22 and be dissapointed, how much of a difference is there between running 24 and 22 on the front end?
    Whiteline BSF30Z Front Sway bar - 22mm heavy duty blade adjustable
    Whiteline BSR49XZ Rear Sway bar - 22mm X heavy duty blade adjustable

Kartboy Endlinks? (Again i've read more about these than any other brand, based on times mentioned the whiteline endlinks are a close second, if i go with the whiteline swaybars should i just stick to the same brand or is there no added benefit to that?)
    Kartboy dot com :: Subaru WRX :: 2008-2011 WRX :: Kartboy 2008+ Front And Rear Endlink Kit

A Short Shifter (I haven't really done any looking into this yet but quick google search + recomendation above give me these products)
    .......Also will STI short shifters work on a WRX or is that a no go due to the 6spMT vs. 5spMT?
    Kartboy 08 Impreza short shift lever

TiC 08 Impreza Super Shifter Set

AND.....tires
    seems like there are way too many options, could someone point me in the right direction? I need a DD street tire but a little extra stick obviously but I'm not on a budget to shell about 1k a year for replacement tires. Ideally maybe have to replace them once a year at most for 500$ (is this possible to get a tire that would give me a better handle for maintenance like this or am i in fact low balling it?)

If I decide to shoot for the stars.....
    TiC SST Coilovers
    TiC SST GH/GE Coilovers - 5x100 application <--what do they mean by for those running a 5x100 here? is that something i should be worried about if i were to order them?

Other coil over options i've read good things about
    BC Racing Coilovers (the picture only shows two...so am i getting a full set of four or am I still shelling out 2k for 4?)

H&R Coilovers (same as above i only see two in the picture)
    Perrin Performance - H&R Coilovers

KW's? I've read about these a lot but I can't find any for WRX the ones i found said STI only (am i mistaken?).
    BC Racing BR Coilovers for Impreza WRX (2008+) - Injected Performance

And if anyone has experience with any of these products please feel free to tell how well or...how not well they are doing (one would hope not poorly)

Thanks,
    S.N.
    Last edited by The Subie Newbie; 04-11-2011 at 10:42 PM. Reason: because grammar seperates idiots from nutcases

I Support ClubWRX
    Get the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo k110's... They have a $60 mail in rebate right now.

I wouldn't ever get BC coilovers... KWs I would buy, but the RCE Tarmac 2's seem to be the best for the money right now.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Get the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo k110's... They have a $60 mail in rebate right now.

I wouldn't ever get BC coilovers... KWs I would buy, but the RCE Tarmac 2's seem to be the best for the money right now.
    this gives me a thought. in the last 5 min of google searching it seems that most good tires in the money/type im looking for are "summer" fair weather tires. How much money should i be looking at to get a set of rims for these summer tires and leave the snow to my current stock (posisbly all season tires, i honestly couldn't tell you what they are without looking)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.