Help with the research Stage, experienced tuners welcome :) - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Help with the research Stage, experienced tuners welcome :) within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Drews Depends...do you want the STi driveline or PPGs? Depending on the route your taking and what ...

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Depends...do you want the STi driveline or PPGs? Depending on the route your taking and what you want out of your car would depend on what you're gonna do.
    maybe i should find out what those two things are first before i ask what to do with them haha

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by The Subie Newbie View Post
    maybe i should find out what those two things are first before i ask what to do with them haha
    PPG stands for Pfitzner Performance Gearbox (it's a brand) and literally are the strongest gearset available for the WRX/STi. --Insert Drews' gloating here--

The STi driveline is exactly what it suggests - the driveline (including transmission, rear diff, driveshaft, and half shafts + hubs) from the STi

The STi transmission is pretty damn strong, but the PPGs are stronger. The advantage of the STi driveline is that you may get the DCCD and limited-slip front diff depending on the version of the STi gearbox. The disadvantage is that it is not as strong as the PPGs, and may require a lot more work... and work = $$

I want to add that if you can find a JDM 6MT STi transmission, you get the advantage of the stronger gearset, and can utilize the stock half-shafts + hubs, driveshaft, and rear diff... but in most cases you sacrifice the DCCD for an improved 12KG viscous center diff.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    PPG stands for Pfitzner Performance Gearbox (it's a brand) and literally are the strongest gearset available for the WRX/STi. --Insert Drews' gloating here--

The STi driveline is exactly what it suggests - the driveline (including transmission, rear diff, driveshaft, and half shafts + hubs) from the STi

The STi transmission is pretty damn strong, but the PPGs are stronger. The advantage of the STi driveline is that you may get the DCCD and limited-slip front diff depending on the version of the STi gearbox. The disadvantage is that it is not as strong as the PPGs, and may require a lot more work... and work = $$

I want to add that if you can find a JDM 6MT STi transmission, you get the advantage of the stronger gearset, and can utilize the stock half-shafts + hubs, driveshaft, and rear diff... but in most cases you sacrifice the DCCD for an improved 12KG viscous center diff.
    Yes. Revel in my greatness and my ability to hit F5 on the NASIOC FS threads!

PPGs are great, if you got the cash to fork over. Or do what I did and pick up an already built one for 28 hundie sticks.

The STi trans isn't going to break on you until you're pushing stupid amounts of power anyway. There are a lot of different ways you can do the STi swap. I researched for a looooooong time. The best two ways to go about it (IMHO) are as follows:

1. Full driveline swap. You change out the trans, axles, hubs, rear diff and your suspension set up (unless you pull the driveline from an 04 STi)

Pros: Stronger EEEEEEEERYTHANG. Better gas milage because of 6th gear.

Cons: Significantly heavier than the stock 5spd and its components. $$$$$$ Full drivelines aren't cheap.

2. Swap the trans and stock rear diff ring and pinion gear for the correct final drive ratio. This requires the drive shaft from a WRX with an automaic trans as well.

Pros: Cheapest. Your stock rear diff and all your axles aren't really what I consider easy to break anyway. Saves you money and quite a bit of work. A little lighter because you don't have the thicker axles and heavier rear diff. (Still heaver than the stock 5spd)

Cons: Auto driveshafts aren't easy to come by used. Unless you're getting the swap off someone else who already completed it, it's going to be difficult. Like mentioned above it's still heavier than the stocker. But your second gear wont splode as easily.

If you're going to do the full driveline swap then you're looking at PPG price range. You can find used PPGs for around the same price as a driveline swap.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    yeah, those are the ones I have In 17x8 and I love them. On your 08 I'd probably get 18x8's just because I feel like 18" wheels look better on the 08+ WRXs. I personally have 245/40/17's. You probably would want 235/40/18's if you did 18" wheels, but just remember that your speedo would be off.
    Let's say i went 17 or 18 w/e what is that second number, is it the rim width
    Last edited by The Subie Newbie; 04-12-2011 at 06:50 PM. Reason: i boned up on my terminology

I Support ClubWRX
    my gas mileage is much worse with the STi gearbox.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

yeah, those are the ones I have In 17x8 and I love them. On your 08 I'd probably get 18x8's just because I feel like 18" wheels look better on the 08+ WRXs. I personally have 245/40/17's. You probably would want 235/40/18's if you did 18" wheels, but just remember that your speedo would be off.
    hate to drag you back here but when I've looked i decided i liked the rim a lot versus some others my friend showed me and ofcourse the SBC looks the best (albeit most expensive) but i went to wheelstudio.com and came up with this.
    Enkei Wheels Enkei RPF1 SBC Wheels - Enkei Wheels Wheels on sale, cheap rims, cheap wheels from Enkei Wheels at discount prices
    Let's say i went 17 or 18 w/e what is that second number, is it the rim width?
    I figured out that means the width. Just want to go over the numebrs

you recommended 235/40/18
    i believe this is where 40 is the offset mm, i know the name but not exactly what it means...
    18 meaning 18's
    and the 235 well so far that is a mystery
    But more so how wide should i go on the rims. you said 18x8, i'm seeing staggered sets with wider rims in the back. is that something to look into? a waste of money?

Also I'm trying to find a good site for pricing but most everything is either cheper + big shipping..good with good shipping. or high with no shipping. Is there a secret tire/rim website that im not finding that just has a good deal period?
    -->on another note, since i realized WRX's have a 5x100 lug nut set up..thingy...whatever its called I've discovered RPF1's are impossible to find in SBC finish which gives me a raging mental hard on when i picture those rims on my car... did i just say that

bumpity bump
    Last edited by The Subie Newbie; 04-12-2011 at 08:53 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    235 is the tire's section width, 40 is not the offset... it's the tire height in a percent ratio to the section width. 18 is the diameter wheel the tire should be mounted on.

18x8 is 18" diameter, 8" width

If I were you, I'd use tirerack.com... I've used them several times, they always have a great price, and they are very bright. They recommend 18x7.5" on the website with a 225/40 wheel. I'd give them a call on the phone though.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

If I were you, I'd use tirerack.com... I've used them several times, they always have a great price, and they are very bright. They recommend 18x7.5" on the website with a 225/40 wheel. I'd give them a call on the phone though.
    just wondering what is the difference between 235 and 225 is that just the mm width of the actual tire?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by The Subie Newbie View Post
    just wondering what is the difference between 235 and 225 is that just the mm width of the actual tire?
    Yes,the 235 is wider than 225.Tire rack is great.If you also buy wheels,they even mount & balance the tires before shipping them to you.Even the lug nuts and any extra mounting hardware is provided free.If you have any questions call them.They are very helpful.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Is there any way to fit STI rims on a WRX, somehow change the WRX 5x100 to the 5x114.3?

Yes it's possible but not worth the money.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Yes it's possible but not worth the money.
    Do you mean by switching the hubs?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Do you mean by switching the hubs?
    first i think i know what you're talking about but please correct me if im way off base
    that may not be possible, my rims, i believe, were part of an SPT kit and aren't the standard hubs. tbh i got this car 2 and 1/2 years ago when i turned 16 and haven't really looked "under the hood" meaning i don't know what i have/how it works. Thats kind of the goal of this plus i get to spice up a car I'll likely be driving for a good while from now

just asked one of my buddies and he said spacers could do it....but they cost as much as the rims so i don't see that as a viable option
    Last edited by The Subie Newbie; 04-12-2011 at 11:35 PM.

Here's my .02.
    1) Sway bars/endlinks. This made a huge difference in the handling of my 09. I would go bigger than you have stated previously, especially if you upgrade the shocks/struts. I started with the Perrin "soft" kit, and once I upgraded my shocks/stuts/springs, I needed bigger. I'm now on 25f/22r
    2) Rims/Tires. Again this will make a big difference, The 09 came with a decent set of summer tires. If you are still on stock, this will make a huge difference. Many, many many options for this. I stuck with 17" for tire cost as I autocross and am buying a set a year. 18" will fill the wheel well better and I do like the look better.
    2) Custom Tune. I took mine to a tuner and easily gained 25hp and 30 torque without any other modifications.
    3) Catback exhaust. I have been able to compare my 09 with a buddies 09 side by side. We couldn't tell much of a difference between his turbo back exhaust and mine with only a muffler delete. I would recommend just a catback for cost purposes. (and for sound....)
    4) Shocks/Struts/Springs. Depending on your endgame, (lowering, racing, spirited driving) look at the GTWorx Bilstein package. I have this and it is unbelievable! These are plug and play, designed for use with stock springs or mated to the special Race Comp Engineering yellows for a stiffer ride. Non-adjustable with a mild drop. Unless you want to really slam your car, or like to mess with ride settings these are the way to go...

I am not an expert, these are my observations with mine. I love my setup.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    my gas mileage is much worse with the STi gearbox.
    With the around town driving or even at freeway cruising speeds?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.