Subaru WRX STI swap . . . .

This is a discussion on Subaru WRX STI swap . . . . within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; 04' WRX stock 147k miles. Well recently (Monday) my car shut off while driving due to a broken timing belt. ...

Angry Subaru WRX STI swap . . . .

04' WRX stock 147k miles.

Well recently (Monday) my car shut off while driving due to a broken timing belt. FYI Subaru have interference engines, which means engine is done if the timing belt breaks. Today we replaced the timing belt with no success, car would not turn on. So, I would basically like to know which is the cheapest method to get my car back up and running, rebuilding the engine and pay others to do it or buying an sti engine which a friend can mount?

- Just incase, I'm currently looking into a JDM sti ver 7. Would this be a hassle?

Thanks everyone for the help.
    Last edited by nunez07c; 04-06-2011 at 06:16 PM.
    Pic to soon to come ...... 19 yrs old. Drive a Subbie( Im a newbie). 3rd Year Of college going to third.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

a rebuild would be best for the car or you could go hybrid with the motor or even put some good parts in the 2.0 block but like you said cheap is the best i would look for some good used heads and rebuild the block so its a nice new motor.

great ... now I'm even more confused on which option to go for, to be honest you have been the first person out of quite a few how have told me to do the swap.
    Pic to soon to come ...... 19 yrs old. Drive a Subbie( Im a newbie). 3rd Year Of college going to third.

save yourself the hassle and get the heads rebuilt... or find some used good heads
    thats the cheapest solution anyways
    doing an sti swap is more involved/requires loots of time

-Alex
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

2003 WRX wagon 16g + 6 speed

Quote Originally Posted by mexicanzero View Post
    save yourself the hassle and get the heads rebuilt... or find some used good heads
    thats the cheapest solution anyways
    doing an sti swap is more involved/requires loots of time

-Alex
    But thats the thing. I really don't know if its worth it cause before the timing belt broke the engine suffered from a blown head gasket. We did not replace the gasket, but instead we just used Blue Devil. So its just a matter of time before the sealant wears off, and then another problem. So I'm really going back and forth on these options.
    Rebuilt or STI swap.

Were you still running with the original timing belt at 147k miles?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nunez07c View Post
    But thats the thing. I really don't know if its worth it cause before the timing belt broke the engine suffered from a blown head gasket. We did not replace the gasket, but instead we just used Blue Devil.
    What is Blue Devil? This stuff?
    http://www.usasealants.com/products/...asket-sealant/

So you pulled off at least one head? Did you find damage? Or did you just pour a liquid into the coolant instead?

Do you know why the car won't start? Will the motor turn over? Do you have compression?

If you have valve damage, the head gaskets are not an additional expense I don't think, since you would have been removing the heads anyway.

However the cheapest option is a used engine from a domestic wreck, onto which you will install the new timing belt.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 04-06-2011 at 06:45 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Hopefully, if your just doing new head, you didn't snap a valve off and screw the cylinder wall up.

heads have to come off = new head gaskets either way
    I'd pull them off and see what it all looks like in there

if you want to do an sti swap do it! you just seemed like you were looking more for an easier/cheaper way out... you cant just drop the sti engine in plug everything in and go and an sti engine will be more than a wrx engine

no one can tell you what to do, you have to decide what you want to do
    keep in mind if you drop an sti engine in and mod it you'll still be on the wrx drivetrain, if anything i'd say the only reason i wish i had an sti is for the drivetrain the engine doesnt excite me as much... a jdm v7 or v8 now thats a different story... any source for japanese engines in your area?
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

2003 WRX wagon 16g + 6 speed

I would agree with rebuilding the 2.0...If you need head work done from the timing belt snapping, whats it matter if the head gasket failed? Needs to be replaced when the heads come off anyway. An STi swap would be rather difficult, the Heads from an STi 2.5 will not work with a WRX computer due to their advanced valve control system, Not to mention the power coming out of a full STi swap would probably shred your transmission and clutch, and if you tried to beat on it say goodbye to the driveshaft and rear diff or axles too, unless you're mad lucky. You could go the route that many have before, which is the hybrid build. An Ej255 or EJ257 shortblock will work; If your heads are shot, rebuild them, buy new/used 2.0 heads, whatever you wanna do, Send them off to get their combustion chamber remachined to match the 2.5L engine, and put that together with a 2.5L head gasket. It's possible to run a hybrid without machining the heads, but my 03's PO decided to run that route and broke the engine prematurely, possible due in part to that. Then the dealer rebuilt it that way...and here I am 10,000 miles later rebuilding it correctly. Oh, also, stronger headstuds have been recommended for the hybrid build..and many other little tid bits here and there that make a big difference. Going the hybrid route WILL require tuning your ECU...But you'll also have a lot more torque than most 2.0's, and take it from me...that extra torque from the .5L extra makes a huge difference. I've run against an 04 2.0 with FMIC, VF39, TBE, air intake (which i disagree with...) and just about every other bolt on mod...my little 2.5 with the tiny td04 turbo and a TBE kept dead even with him from the launch, even pulled ahead a little at higher speeds( On a closed airstrip- keep it off the streets, we value our lives). But ultimately, regardless of the advice anyone gives you on here- the choice is yours. Do you want to keep it stock? Do you want to start listening to the mod bug you've been dutifully ignoring? It's entirely up to what YOU want from it- it is, after all, your vehicle, and you want to do it right for you, so you'll be as comfortable as possible with it. Best of luck, and I hope your rebuild doesn't take as long as mine is.