Strange engine whine from '03 WRX

This is a discussion on Strange engine whine from '03 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Have a 2003 WRX Manual tranny with 80K miles, uppipe/downpipe and cobb tuning accessport (stage 2 map). Started making a ...

Red face Strange engine whine from '03 WRX

Have a 2003 WRX Manual tranny with 80K miles, uppipe/downpipe and cobb tuning accessport (stage 2 map).
    Started making a whining noise a little bit ago that's rpm dependent.

Happens in neutral as well as any gears but it's quieter at highway speeds.
    Here's a quick video YouTube - Weird engine whine

Any ideas on what's causing it?
    Thanks for the help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Accessory belt roller, accessory belt, accessory such as A/C compressor, alternator, or steering pump, or the beginning of an up pipe leak. Very hard to tell from just a video and no description of from where in the engine bay the noise is coming. First task is to localize the noise in the engine bay.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Alright, I'll make another video under the hood.

YouTube - Weird engine whine part 2

Definitely coming from the front of the engine, serpentine belt maybe?

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Take off your AC belt (leave alternator belt obviously) and run the car. If it goes away it narrows it down dramatically. Or get a stethoscope (sp?) and find where it is coming from
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

$100 says its the small silver pully under your timing belt cover. Take off the right portion of your timing belt cover you can do it without taking any belts off. Just have to move your radiator resevoir tank. 6 bolts total. Once you pop the cover off, look towards the crank shaft, should see a tiny pully. If its worn to hell, thats prolly it. I say this cause its DEF whats causing MY rpm-dependent whining issue :-)

Included a pic for reference. And yes i know i need to change my belt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ImageUploadedByTapatalk1302123998.227748.jpg  
    Bugeye Mafia #155

Friends don't let friends drive stock.
    Racing a neon is like fighting a girl: you can't brag about it if you win, and you don't want anyone to know if you lose.
    facebook

I Support ClubWRX
    Definitely not a serpentine belt, as our cars don't use one. It could still be one of the accessory belts or one of their pulleys though. Hopefully it's not a timing pulley (doesn't sound like the one I've heard but it's not in person so hard to say, sorry).

Remove each external belt consecutively and see if the noise goes away IMO.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks for all the replies. I had a buddy use a steth on it and was told one of the bearings in the alternator has gone bad and it needs to be replaced. Going to take it to a local shop for a quote.

Thanks again for all the help.

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Go with an STI alternator. Higher amperage, direct swap and actually cheaper everywhere except the dealer
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Hey sorry to bring this back up, but my engine whine is still there. Im thinking its my AC pully? Ive yet to confirm though.
    Bugeye Mafia #155

Racing a neon is like fighting a girl: you can't brag about it if you win, and you don't want anyone to know if you lose.
    facebook

If it soundz like a moose whine might be your power steering! I just had that prob, booked miss wrx into the garage for Monday, here's hoping it sorts all probs. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
    If it soundz like a moose whine might be your power steering! I just had that prob, booked miss wrx into the garage for Monday, here's hoping it sorts all probs. good luck
    Im 99% sure its the AC Pully. The whine is rpm dependent. You know how you fall in love with the sound of an engine going through its powerband? Imagine that, but with an annoying whine doing the sammmeeee thing. -_-
    Bugeye Mafia #155

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by LetsWRCinmyWRX View Post
    $100 says its the small silver pully under your timing belt cover. Take off the right portion of your timing belt cover you can do it without taking any belts off. Just have to move your radiator resevoir tank. 6 bolts total. Once you pop the cover off, look towards the crank shaft, should see a tiny pully. If its worn to hell, thats prolly it. I say this cause its DEF whats causing MY rpm-dependent whining issue :-)

Included a pic for reference. And yes i know i need to change my belt.
    Belt And that pully. I just had mine come apart and hopefully i didnt put a hole in a piston with one of the valves.