Burning the Clutch... - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Burning the Clutch... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; This is also on the 2011s. Click on Key Features on the 2011 WRX on subaru.com. The only questionable "user ...

This is also on the 2011s. Click on Key Features on the 2011 WRX on subaru.com. The only questionable "user error" item on the list would be the clutch.

Wear Item Limited Warranty: 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Repairs to the following items will also be covered under Wear Item Limited Warranty: • Brake Pads • Wiper Blades • Clutch Linings • Transmitter Batteries
    2011 WRX Limited w/ Nav, Performance Auto Solutions Tuned by Dave - 349awhp 366 ft/lbs @ 19psi E85
    Enkei PF01s, AEM Intake, PW TMIC, TS Kompact BPV, Invidia Q300 Catless Turboback, GS EBCS
    GS Uppipe, Tial MV-S 38mm EWG, FIC 1100cc Injectors, DW DW65c FP, PTP Turbo Blanket, Zeitronix ECA Gauge
    AEM Wideband & Boost Gauges, SMY Cluster, SPT Short Throw Shifter/Bushing, Anarchy Motive Shift Knob, 30% Tint

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Really?You must be really good.After having learned to drive on a manual & having driven mostly manuals for about 18 years ,I'm having a tough time with this car.It bucks like a wild horse at times.I still can't get it right in reverse.I stall at least a couple of times a week in the most embarrassing situations!
    Well, I've got 18.5 years driving manuals also (every car I've owned has been a stick and my last one was an '04 WRX Wagon and I never burned out a clutch on any of them. I don't think I had stalled the last two cars more than a couple of times the entire 4-5 years I had each of them. (I did stall the Z24 a lot, but I practiced on it).

It just feels to me like there's something 'off' about the final release point (abrupt?) whereas it starts moving forward fine as you let it out slowly, but then at the last moment as it tries to fully engage, it suddenly drops the engine speed more than I expect it to and stalls going like 1-2 mph, but ONLY if I'm trying to just VERY slowly ease up on the guy in front of me or back up VERY slowly feathering the clutch but trying to keep the RPMs very low (because of my paranoia after reading the '09 clutch thread). If I just take off at regular speed, I have no issues.

So maybe because I'm trying to really keep the engine speed low, I'm putting myself too close to stall territory whereas I never worried about giving the engine 2k-3k of speed on any of my previous cars, even if I was just feathering (and their clutches held just fine even so; I even sat with the clutch in at red lights for 80k+ on the Z24 because the lady that had it before me screwed the synchro in 1st and it didn't like to go in once the car fully stopped from neutral (so I'd shift in at 1-2 mph and just hold it; the throw-out bearing never even crapped out).

I got home and put the car in 1st in my driveway and just let the clutch out with no gas what-so-ever and I had no trouble moving forward without stalling, so I'm not exactly sure what's going on there. Maybe I'm just moving it out too fast with too little gas when I'm in a hurry. In any case, I have no issues with the car after take-off. I have a harder time getting it to feel so smooth that you can't feel the shifts at all (I could do that in the '04 WRX, but then I had 5 years of practice in it). The first time I drove the '11, it was a bit different. CLUNK... Every stick feels different (between the clutch and gear ratios). You can drive for 20 years and get in a new car and the guy with you will think you're new to it because you don't have the feel for it yet.

OP, as everybody said ,practice.Although I don't know about you doing it in your new car.But if there is no other alternative,...
    I drove my Z24 home on the freeway the first day. I had no big issues. I never did any 'hundreds' of whatever in a parking lot, not ever. I practiced in back road neighborhoods with real hills, etc. the first week. I didn't have any real trouble except for stalling it at traffic lights (embarrassing). I actually learned the shifting motion from playing Hard Driving at the arcade. I had never driven a stick up until that point and drove it right home for 25 miles. And they say video games aren't the same...

A friend of mine wants to learn a stick. I told him to come over and play Test Drive Unlimited with my PC steering wheel setup (it has a full 6-speed setup with a full set of pedals). It's like having a Hard Driving machine (with better graphics) in your home. You can get the basics down without risking your car. The only thing that is no good is you can't feel the clutch engaging, so that part you still need to practice a bit. But you can practice up and down shifting and rev-matching just fine in a fairly realistic graphical environment.
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

I Support ClubWRX
    I must say that after flashing to the Cobb stage 1 map shifting has become a lot easier.All the jerkiness in the lower gears is gone & power delivery is very even.City driving is a less frustrating.I am happy to report that I haven't stalled once after the flash.

I almost thought at first that something was wrong with the clutch !
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I also sometimes think that 'hill holder' feature gets in the way of a smooth take-off (especially when just backing over the curb of my driveway, even though it's level. I think the hill holder gets confused and comes on sometimes and makes the take-off feel 'odd' to say the least (slight unevenness to it that never happens any other time on a flat surface). If I wait a couple of seconds before moving in 1st, it doesn't do it. It also doesn't do it when backing up on a flat surface without a curb (why I suspect the hill holder). I know that hill holder is supposed to release with the clutch, but I also think if you try to take off fairly quick (semi-launch) it can drag for a split second, which probably doesn't help the brakes or the clutch. I wish I could turn it off. I don't need any help starting on hills.

In other odd news, my low fuel light came on today with over 4 gallons still left in the tank (supposed to come on around 2.6 gallons left).
    Last edited by MagnumXL; 08-11-2011 at 03:55 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

I Support ClubWRX
    I know that you can disable hill start assist on STIs.Its instructions are in the manual.But strangely enough you cannot disable it in a WRX.

To activate/deactivate the Hill start assist system (STI)

CAUTION
    While the Hill start assist system is deactivated, when starting on an uphill grade, braking power is not maintained if the brake pedal is released. Start on an uphill grade by using the parking brake. You can activate/deactivate the Hill start assist system according to the following procedure.

! To deactivate
    1. Stop your vehicle in a flat and safe place and apply the parking brake.
    2. Turn off the engine.
    3. Restart the engine.
    4. Confirm the following items.
    . The ABS warning light turns off.
    . The Vehicle Dynamics Control OFF indicator light turns off.
    . The Brake system warning light illuminates.
    5. Press the Vehicle Dynamics Control mode switch and hold it until the Vehicle Dynamics Control OFF indicator light turns off. The Vehicle Dynamics Control OFF indicator light will illuminate in green, change to yellow, remain illuminated in yellow for several seconds and then turn off.
    6. Within 5 seconds after the Vehicle Dynamics Control OFF indicator light turns off, release the Vehicle Dynamics Control mode switch.
    7. Within 2 seconds after releasing the Vehicle Dynamics Control mode switch, press the Vehicle Dynamics Control mode switch once again. Then the Hill start assist OFF indicator light illuminates.
    8. Turn off the engine.
    9. Restart the engine. While the Hill start assist system is deactivated, the Hill start assist OFF indicator light illuminates continuously.

! To activate
    When the procedure to deactivate the Hill start assist system is performed again, the system is activated. When the Hill start assist system is activated, the Hill start assist OFF indicator light turns off.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnumXL View Post
    I wish I could turn it off. I don't need any help starting on hills.
    [QUOTE=MagnumXL;2785690] I wish I could turn it off. I don't need any help starting on hills.[QUOTE]

Ask a tuner if this is possible. Is "hill holder" an option or standard on all MY 2011s? I would think a "switch could be flipped" or a wire rerouted to tell the computer to turn it off.
    - 2013 BRZ Limited, WRB, manual
    - 2002 WRX WRB Sport Wagon (Stage 1) SOLD
    - 1968 Mercury Cougar w/ custom 331ci stroker & 5-spd
    ~Best 1/4 mi ET: 13.00 Video here--> http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t=MVI_0378.mp4
    ~Best 1/4 mi Trap Speed: 109mph

I Support ClubWRX
    [QUOTE=2002SubieWRX;2785704][QUOTE=MagnumXL;2785690] I wish I could turn it off. I don't need any help starting on hills.

Ask a tuner if this is possible. Is "hill holder" an option or standard on all MY 2011s? I would think a "switch could be flipped" or a wire rerouted to tell the computer to turn it off.
    It is standard on all 2011s.So far no one has found a solution for the WRX.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

I find it odd they would include the ability to turn it off for the STI, but then not just go ahead and offer it to the WRX too. It's not like it's a performance feature. I also read in the manual that a "slight jolt" can be expected sometimes when going forward after going in reverse (if the system kicks in?). That about describes what I feel after backing up over the curb on my driveway into the street and then quickly shifting into 1st and moving forward. It just doesn't feel smooth. It does pretty much sometimes feel like a slight jolt (and I don't mean anything to do with letting the clutch out too fast; this only ever happens at my driveway and my last WRX never did anything like that).

Also off-topic, but I was looking in the manual about the low fuel light some more and noticed that supposedly if you press your trip button while in either LOCK or ACC on the ignition, it will report the exact amount of fuel it thinks you have left. I wish I had noticed that tidbit before as I'm curious as to how much gas it thought I had left when it turned that light on (I was at around 283 miles getting 21.9 MPG when it came on. The car took right around 13 gallons. The tank is supposed to hold 16.9 gallons, so I had just a smidge under 4 left. Maybe I'll wait and see if it does the same thing with the next tank and then try it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnumXL View Post
    Also off-topic, but I was looking in the manual about the low fuel light some more and noticed that supposedly if you press your trip button while in either LOCK or ACC on the ignition, it will report the exact amount of fuel it thinks you have left. I wish I had noticed that tidbit before as I'm curious as to how much gas it thought I had left when it turned that light on (I was at around 283 miles getting 21.9 MPG when it came on. The car took right around 13 gallons. The tank is supposed to hold 16.9 gallons, so I had just a smidge under 4 left. Maybe I'll wait and see if it does the same thing with the next tank and then try it.
    You have apparently read the manual more extensively than I have.I didn't see that part.Thanks a lot.That should really help me.My other car's digital gauge tells me how much fuel is left & how far I can go & I've gotten used to this little feature. I always fill up at the same gas station,so it helps knowing how much fuel is left so that I don't have to fill up elsewhere.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

I mis-read what it was talking about. I assumed because it mentioned the trip switch that it meant it was going to show it in the trip computer area (I think my mother's Legacy does something similar to that, telling how many miles you have left until I empty, if I recall correctly, but then hers can tell instantaneous gas mileage too, not just an average). What it's saying is that the fuel gauge will activate and show how much gas is left (analog), which is otherwise sitting below empty when the power is off (not nearly as handy).

I did find the S-on/off and L-on/off settings while attempting to try it out, though. They let you turn the gauge sweep and illumination (on the needles) effects on or off. I'd rather have a fuel readout, though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123