Burning the Clutch... - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Burning the Clutch... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by teflon_jones The best thing you can do to learn without burning or really wearing it much at ...

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    The best thing you can do to learn without burning or really wearing it much at all it is to go to a parking lot and practice on level ground. Start by not touching the gas and just slowly letting the clutch out to get the car moving. Do this a few hundred times. Then move on to giving it a little gas to get it to start faster and do this a few hundred times. For hills, find a dead end street or place with no traffic and a very slight hill. Business parks with hills on a weekend or evening are a great place. Start with a very slight slope and keep moving to steeper ones as you learn better.
    +1million.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxrachy917
    I learned how do drive a manual on mine also. Don't worry about it. I found the Subaru stock clutch to be pretty easy compared to others that I'd tried just a couple times.
    Really? My WRX is one of the touchiest manuals that I've ever driven. Though admittedly that's only maybe a dozen cars total.

Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man
    You'll probably need to replace your clutch within the first 100k of ownership. NBD, it's just a $250 part and a ton of labor.... BTW, when your clutch does go, it'll go slowly - one day you'll feel it slip for the first time in some situation, then over the course of several months it'll expand to more often and in more situations.
    My clutch went out shortly after I got my car. I more or less learned to drive manual on it so I probably did a number on it, but I bought the car with 98,500 miles on it so it was near the end of its life anyways. I got it replaced maybe two weeks after it first slipped... which was enough time for it to torch the flywheel. In that week it went from slipping only at high rpms in 4th gear to slipping in everything but first and second. And I generally take it easy around town and completely babied it once it started to go. Ended up costing me $1400 for the clutch and flywheel.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I don't know if this is taboo or not (to recommend another forum), but I learned a LOT about driving stick from this website/forum:

Standardshift | Standardshift / FAQ
    StandardShift.com • Index page

It helped me improve a lot, I hope it helps you too! I learned on my house-mate's old RSX but learned a lot too on my new '11 WRX. Like everyone mentioned already, practice makes perfect and you'll learn it quickly.. just like riding a bike...
    2011 WRX DGM Limited Hatch
    Stink-Eye Mob #408

Cobb AP Stage 1, AEM CAI, SPT CBE, Tint, Red Tail Overlays, V1 hardwire, RA Mudflaps, STI STS, HT Auto Front Lip

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxrachy917 View Post
    I learned how do drive a manual on mine also. Don't worry about it. I found the Subaru stock clutch to be pretty easy compared to others that I'd tried just a couple times.
    Really?You must be really good.After having learned to drive on a manual & having driven mostly manuals for about 18 years ,I'm having a tough time with this car.It bucks like a wild horse at times.I still can't get it right in reverse.I stall at least a couple of times a week in the most embarrassing situations!

OP, as everybody said ,practice.Although I don't know about you doing it in your new car.But if there is no other alternative,...

Don't venture onto the freeway until you are really confident.It is equally important to learn to downshift as it is to get the car going.

On a side note,I made the mistake once of letting my uninitiated brother-in-law drive my car.Like most people used to automatics he just turned the key without bothering to check if the car was in neutral.The lurch almost gave me a heart attack!
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Really?You must be really good.After having learned to drive on a manual & having driven mostly manuals for about 18 years ,I'm having a tough time with this car.It bucks like a wild horse at times.I still can't get it right in reverse.I stall at least a couple of times a week in the most embarrassing situations!
    I agree, the Subaru clutch on the new models engages very high up and in a very short distance. It takes some getting used to. I wonder if it's easier for somebody without a lot of experience though since if you've been driving manuals for a while, the feel of the latest Subaru clutch is a little weird and different than most other cars I've driven. I let a buddy of mine that's been driving manuals for probably 15 years, and has 3 now (including 2 other Subarus) try out my STI and that's the first thing he said, the clutch is weird.

After 3k miles on mine I'm finally very comfortable with it except in one situation: backing up a steep hill from a stop. Why would I do this? Well, sometimes I park my STI off the downhill side of my driveway so I can get my 911 out of the garage easily, and it's a steep uphill to get back on the driveway.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxrachy917 View Post
    Well, you're better than me then. I had driven 10-15 other manual cars before I bought my subie, and my bugeye is by far the hardest one to get used to. I flat out refuse to let manual noobs drive it. The clutch is touchy, and getting into the right powerband for smooth shifting has taken me a long time.

IMO, if you've never driven a manual before, borrow a Miata. The clutch and shifter in those is driving nirvana. My wife picked it up on her first try, and drove the car home without killing it once from the first time she sat in the driver's seat.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    ^ yup i taught my future mother in law how to drive stick on a miata and she got it the first try

i personally never had a problem w/ my wrx clutch. i didnt find it any harder to drive than my old civics

like everyone else said though, practice makes perfect. find an empty mall parking lot or shopping plaza early in the morning when no one is there and practice practice.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Well, you're better than me then. I had driven 10-15 other manual cars before I bought my subie, and my bugeye is by far the hardest one to get used to. I flat out refuse to let manual noobs drive it. The clutch is touchy, and getting into the right powerband for smooth shifting has taken me a long time.

IMO, if you've never driven a manual before, borrow a Miata. The clutch and shifter in those is driving nirvana. My wife picked it up on her first try, and drove the car home without killing it once from the first time she sat in the driver's seat.
    I'm 6 foot high, about a decade ago I tried learning in my sister's Miata (1st gen). It did not bode well for me as my left leg started cramping up so I gave up. In 2008 I wanted to buy a 540i/6 so I had to man up and learn. My sister happened to be out of town for a week, so I took the opportunity to borrow her C240 6 speed. I must've practiced for hours at a time around her block.

One day, a cop came out of nowhere and blocked me. One of the LEOs came out and asked for my license and reg. I asked "what's the matter officer?". He said that someone called in a violation in a black Mercedes. I'm like, violation? What violation? He said no, "male asian, not violation". Then I finally understood. One of the neighbors called the police because they thought there was a suspicious looking male asian driving around the neighborhood for hours.

I explained to the LEO that I'm learning how to drive a manual transmission in my sister's car, and that her house is around the corner. He then proceeded to go back to his car and run my license, all the while laughing along with his partner in the passenger seat. Then another LEO showed up and of course they started laughing together. Finally he gave me back my stuff and said that I can go.

I Support ClubWRX
    I've driven hundreds of manual cars over the years. On a difficulty scale of 1-10 I'd place the WRX clutch at about 3. It's a snappy clutch that engages quickly. The 2.0's require a little more throttle input, and the 2.5's require a little more feathering to stop a buck.

I learned how to drive manual on a tractor. If you can rev match in one of those, you can rev match in anything. With 12-16 gears across two different shifters, it can be interesting!
    Scott
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.

I Support ClubWRX
    I once drove a Lada ,which I later bought while I was in Eastern Europe for a while.Now driving that thing was hard work,especially in the winter with just FWD.Lol,I'm so glad I got that car then,I learned a lot all about automotive mechanics with it breaking down every 2 days.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Well the only two cars I've tried driving a manual in were an Evo and a Civic. The Evo had an aftermarket clutch...needless to say that was not a fun experience lol. The Civic was kind of a piece of **** and the clutch was starting to go out. So maybe thats why I found my WRX so easy to learn on...

Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    I've heard that they wont replace the clutch in the 3/36 warranty cause its a wear item like the breaks... I could be wrong though...
    This is correct as explained to me by my dealer when I picked my car up.
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

Quote Originally Posted by ElVerde View Post
    This is correct as explained to me by my dealer when I picked my car up.
    They'll only replace it if it wears out due to the failure of a part of the clutch system due to a manufacturer defect.
    Scott

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    https://www.subaru.com/my-subaru/warranties-2009.html

I know this is 2009, but look down under the wear item warranty, even wiper blades are covered.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by sb5551 View Post
    https://www.subaru.com/my-subaru/warranties-2009.html

I know this is 2009, but look down under the wear item warranty, even wiper blades are covered.
    If you look closely it says "Limited Warranty",meaning if a problem arises the dealer takes photos of the affected part and sends it to SOA.SOA will make a decision based on these pictures whether the defect is a cause of part failure or driver usage related failure.

"Under these warranties, parts that malfunction or fail during the warranty period as a result of a manufacturing defect will be repaired without charge."

"These warranties do not cover any part which malfunctions, fails or is damaged due to objects striking the car, road hazards, whether on or off the road, accident, fire, neglect, abuse or any other cause beyond the control of SOA."

"These warranties do not cover any part which malfunctions, fails or is damaged due to a failure to follow the operating instructions set forth in the Owner's Manual (e.g., failure to use proper fuel) or a failure to follow the Schedule of Recommended Inspection and Maintenance Services set forth in this Booklet.
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 04-07-2011 at 07:48 AM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.