All in one key??

This is a discussion on All in one key?? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, This may sound weird, but does anyone know if it is possible to program an all in one ...

All in one key??

Hey guys,

This may sound weird, but does anyone know if it is possible to program an all in one key from an Outback to work with a 2011 WRX. I miss having all my buttons on the key. Kinda not a big deal, but I key/remote is taxing my key diet

Let me know if anyone has any opinions.

Dealer: "currently only the Outback and Tribeca have an all in one key"

Thanks,

Hooman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Not sure but I would like the same thing, miss my all in one key

There has to be a way of doing it. I know you can program universal remotes, but the issue I think will lie in the immobilizer chip. In theory if an Outback comes with the same technology, then an Outback key should be programmable to our cars. Perhaps I will buy a blank Outback key and attempt to pair it to my car. I will let you know if this works hopefully by this weekend.

Registered User Officer Cartman's Avatar
    I would love to find out about this as well.. The remote buttons get pushed way too easily in my pocket, and I can't tell you the number of times I've set off the alarm or popped the trunk inadvertently.

I'm not familiar with subaru immobilizers, but I do know for Honda at least, that the actual immobilizer chip is a tiny little thing that you can pop out if you take your key apart. If they are incompatible electronically, I'd be willing to bet that you could just switch out the chips physically. You'll have a bit more trouble trying to get the remote buttons to work. Do newer subarus still have the separate remote box? I know that the 02's have a little box for the remote control unit under the dash right above the fusebox. Even if you couldn't get the remote to pair, give it a try to swap that box out for an outback box.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I think it's probably more trouble than it's worth. OP...you're just being lazy.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I don't think it's really being lazy if your going through all that work to get it to work...

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk_Knight View Post
    I don't think it's really being lazy if your going through all that work to get it to work...
    I don't see the point when your key fob works just fine and does the exact thing you want it to do. Just duct tape your fob to the key. Solved.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Thanks!

Yea not sure how its lazy, I just don't want an extra thing on my key chain...lol

It is merely a convenience issue. I am gonna call a different dealer and see whats up.

Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man View Post
    I'm not familiar with subaru immobilizers, but I do know for Honda at least, that the actual immobilizer chip is a tiny little thing that you can pop out if you take your key apart. If they are incompatible electronically, I'd be willing to bet that you could just switch out the chips physically. You'll have a bit more trouble trying to get the remote buttons to work. Do newer subarus still have the separate remote box? I know that the 02's have a little box for the remote control unit under the dash right above the fusebox. Even if you couldn't get the remote to pair, give it a try to swap that box out for an outback box.

I will look into this weekend and report back.

Thanks!

So everyone I have spoken to say its not possible. I still disagree lol

I am going to purchase a blank outback key and try it myself. Will report back by next week.

So its not possible. Oh well worth a shot!

"Dear Hooman:

Thank you for your reply. They are different systems and different keys, which is why the keys for the Outback Wagons are not applicable to the WRX models.

Information on our future models is not available. Therefore, I am unable to advise you if future WRX models will be equipped with the same key and keyless entry remote as found on our 2011 Outback Wagons. We do appreciate though that you brought your product interest to our attention.

Your message has been documented in our Customer/Dealer Services database. This will allow for your message to be properly reviewed, tracked and considered by our Product Management Department. Subaru is always striving to improve upon our products and appreciates when our customers bring their interests and recommendations to our attention.

Thank you again, Hooman, for your time and feedback.

Sincerely,

John J. Mergen
    Subaru of America, Inc.
    Customer/Dealer Services Department
    1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)
    Service Request #1-1384039000"

bah... I betcha it is... you just need to try hard enough.

As I said, the immobilizer can be swapped out. For the remote, if the WRX won't take the outback key's code, I'd definitely look into swapping out remote control units - dunno if those would be compatible.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Someone on IWSTI did this...

I saw this awhile back;

Clicky

Should be very similar to/exactly the same as the WRX.

Not Outback key though...

Interesting thanks!

I bought an Outback blank key and will try to program it once I pick it up. /crossesfingers