Windshield problems

This is a discussion on Windshield problems within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone. Proud owner of a new WRX here and a newbie on the forum. Had the car since late ...

Windshield problems

Hello everyone. Proud owner of a new WRX here and a newbie on the forum. Had the car since late November, and I completely love it. Except one thing-windshield. I have 2 big cracks in it already. It seems like if a rock hits it when I'm on the highway it just cracks. No little spider-things or anything minor. It just cracks... Is anyone else having that problem? Just bad luck on my part or is the angle of the windshield to blame?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    There is a chipped/cracked windshield thread, it's very popular.

It's not just Subaru's fault. I travel a bit and nowhere in the developed world have I seen such terrible road debris flying around than in California. Also, "our" gravel trucks are not required to use covers or tarps...
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

My windshield looks like it was sent back in time from a post apocalyptic war zone.. it literally peppered with chips and pits. Just 44K mi on my 2010..
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Just had a chip repaired by safelite. Insurance covered it free of charge.

Here in CO insurance companies don't offer glass coverage because they don't use sand on the roads in the winter, they use gravel. When I lived in the Northeast glass coverage was separate and cheap with little or no deductible. Glass here is just part of your comprehensive. That's why I bought an add-on the dealer offered on my new STI that covers the windshield replacement for 3 years/unlimited mileage. I think it was $349 maybe? Probably less. I'm sure in 3 years I'll need at least one new windshield, if not 2 or 3. If I haven't used the coverage when I get to the end of it, I think a rock is going to mysteriously fall from the sky and break it. By then it'll be so pitted from rocks after 3 years of driving that I bet it'll be hard to see through it!

Thank god the windshield on my G-wagen never went before I sold it. $2000 to replace your windshield is steep! And it got a big rock into it not long after I bought it that thankfully never cracked, just left a big divot with spiderwebs 1" around it. You can't repair those windshields either since they're flat. The dealer only took off $100 or something like that for it when I traded it in since they thought they could get it fixed. Idiots!
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Here in CO insurance companies don't offer glass coverage because they don't use sand on the roads in the winter, they use gravel.
    Same in Calgary, and they've started using more salt solution the past couple of years as well (used to love the west for the salt free environment...). That's why I like my winters just cold enough to make the salt completely ineffective.

We can get glass coverage here, but I opt not too. Cheaper in the end to buy a windshield when I need it, rather than pay the premiums.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'