need to wear a little protection!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on need to wear a little protection! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; 2nd Subie-first WRX! just 750mi old and has gone down some trail access roads already (do a lot of mtbiking/trail ...

need to wear a little protection!

2nd Subie-first WRX! just 750mi old and has gone down some trail access roads already (do a lot of mtbiking/trail run). I think I need to bolt on some mud flaps asap.
    Any suggestions with aftermarket? there doesn't seem to be Subie made for the '11 hatches. any suggestions would be great. Just joined so sorry if topics' been discussed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Rally Armor makes some good ones. A little pricey but their high quality

11+ Subaru WRX & STI Sedan
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

I Support ClubWRX
    Flapatax also makes them for half the price

Flapatax Mudflaps
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

thanx guys. Does one mount easier than the other? I'm all about simplicity- set and forget -. My next issue is a hitchmount to fit these quad exhausts, too. nothing in sight on that end as well...

I have the flapatax, and they were a very easy install. I like them.

Banned
    I dont mean to sound ignorant about this but what exactly to mudflaps do on a WRX? I mean I guess I could see how they might keep a little dirt of the areas directly behind the wheels but is driving offroad without them going to damage my car in anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by shadowpr View Post
    I have the flapatax, and they were a very easy install. I like them.
    just jumped on their site. the price is $100 less than the rallydirects. no frame bracket for the flap and fancy logos. perfect. thanks!

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Marioshi
    I dont mean to sound ignorant about this but what exactly to mudflaps do on a WRX? I mean I guess I could see how they might keep a little dirt of the areas directly behind the wheels but is driving offroad without them going to damage my car in anyway?
    If you kick up stones, you can damage the paint
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Banned
    Hmm, how would it get up on the paint? Like on the bumper? Any pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post

If you kick up stones, you can damage the paint
    That, and I think they look good.

Added bonus is it tells you when you're close to the curb when parking. lol

Mo' Protection

I just bought a 2011 STi a few weeks ago and I had a starshield (3M product) put on it. There are other manufacturers out there Limine-X if you want an alternative to the 3M but it is a clear paint protection that is applied like a film to the front of the car. It comes in a custom kit already precut so if you are brave you can try it yourself. If is clear so you cannot even see it unless you are on top of the car and looking right at it. I am not sure if the WRXs come with it but my STI came with it on the rear fenders from the factory. I had the front down to match. Will most def protect the paint.

I Support ClubWRX
    I believe you are referring to the clearbra.Yes the wrx comes with clear film over the lower corner of the rear door.I would not advise anybody without experience try to apply it yourself.It is a PITA to get it right.I got most of the vital areas covered and it only cost me the price of the pre cut kit.Although the only thing you can do to definitely protect your car from chips is to wrap the whole car in clear bra.I now have 2 chips in areas not covered by the bra.The areas protected by the mudflaps are areas that are usually not included in pre cut kits like the lower portion of the front doors and the rear bumper,although you can get impact zone clear bras for the rear bumper.
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 04-02-2011 at 07:53 AM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I am planning on ordering the Rally Armor mud flaps, more for the look than for the actual protection although they will help keep some of the dirt and grime off the sides of the car. All cars collect scratches, dings and paint chips - my goal is to just minimize them in 'risky' areas. Clearbra/Starshield products help in the areas they cover, but you're right, unless you cover the entire car there is still exposure.

I am having mine wrapped by an installer mainly because I can imagine how difficult it will be to do right - I am brave enough to try some things, but not something as fiddly as a starshield.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.