preorder 2011 WRX, thinking about NAV system
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on preorder 2011 WRX, thinking about NAV system within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi all, I just recently pre-ordered a 2011 WRX premium model. The wait sux >.< I am looking into getting ...

preorder 2011 WRX, thinking about NAV system

Hi all,

I just recently pre-ordered a 2011 WRX premium model. The wait sux >.<

I am looking into getting a NAV system for the car. Should I ask them to install the stock one ? I'm leaning more towards an after market unit and have a local shop to install it since I am not too much of a hands-on guy. Do you guys have any suggestions on which NAV unit works best on 2011 WRX, and could you let me know if there is any potential problems with this ?

Thanks

gundamz2001

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Are you looking into an aftermarket head unit with built in nav? If I were doing it, I'd probably go with an Alpine unit, although Pioneer is making some quality products these days as well. You will want to but the steering wheel control adapter too, so you an use the buttons on the steering wheel.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Do you care about sound? I don't have the nav unit, but the non-nav head unit has terrible audio. There are certain things you can do to improve the sound with the OEM unit, such as the JL Cleansweep, but not as dramatically as an aftermarket unit (so I'm told).

But understand that with an aftermarket unit you will lose bluetooth, steering wheel controls, and the USB + aux ports in the center console. You can buy an aftermarket HU that will give you good bluetooth, you can buy a steering wheel control adapter to retain the controls, and it is POSSIBLE to make a wire to run from the aux console port out to the radio (but is a pain in the ass I bet). Obviously these will all cost you extra, especially if you get a shop to do it for you.

So if you care about these things and don't care a LOT about music quality, you can get the OEM head unit and get JL Cleansweep to clean up the sound a bit.

The hands free bluetooth is awful in my non navigation unit. No one can hear me on the phone. I'm gonna ditch it for an aftermarket unit. I've heard several Pioneer units with BT that sounded great.

I used to have the Z120BT Pioneer unit in my previous car, '01 540i/6. It's a great unit, but the BT sucks and has a lot of noise on both ends. For the most part the outbound voice sucks, the other party can hear a lot of road noise.

You can retain the factory steering wheel controls, but the FM tuner will only tune the channels up/down, not your presets.

Finally, it will come with it's own Aux cable which can be used as a USB iPod connection as well, and you can control your iPod/iPhone from the unit itself.

I have the factory Nav in my WRX and the quality of the BT is much better, but it doesn't sync the phonebook on my iPhone 4, while the Pioneer unit was able to. Otherwise, the factory NAV works perfectly well and I definitely prefer it over the aftermarket headunit, not to mention that it attracts less thieves. If you talk on the phone a lot and value the BT option, the Pioneer unit is basically useless.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    If you care at all about the quality of sound - you should try to spend as little as possible on the subaru stereo (they are all pretty bad) and replace with aftermarket. Both Nav and non-Nav systems sound about the same. Radio is awful, aux input (like ipod) sounds at best OK. I replaced mine with a Pioneer that I had, and it sounds great. If I had paid for the Nav, I would have been pissed.

Do you have access to a WRX that shipped to your dealer with the Nav? If so, I HIGHLY recommend you going and asking if you can listen to it before placing the order.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Thank you very much for all your replies!

Currently, there are no WRXs in the dealers around my area, so I can't test the audio with built-in NAV system. Seeing how everyone seems to complain about the audio for both non-NAV and NAV headunit that comes with Subara. I'm almost certain that I'd go for an aftermarket one.

I understand that there are some aftermarket NAV system that comes with bluetooth, so it's not a big concern. If I also buy a separate module that integrates the NAV system with the wheel control, how bad is it (besides the FM turner issue suggested by Asharus)?

Also how hard to do an AUX input with the aftermarket NAV system ? I suppose I can stream music thru bluetooth, but I'd hate to lose the AUX input.

And does putting in an aftermaket NAV system void any kind of warranty on the car ?

Thanks again!

You won't lose Aux w/ an aftermarket radio, you'll just have it in the glovebox, unless you figure out a way to splice it into the built-in hub in the armrest.

Quote Originally Posted by Asharus View Post
    You won't lose Aux w/ an aftermarket radio, you'll just have it in the glovebox, unless you figure out a way to splice it into the built-in hub in the armrest.
    Thank you for clarifying.

Also, Does anyone have an aftermarket Nav unit installed in their car. How happy are you with it ?
    Last edited by gundamz2001; 03-30-2011 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gundamz2001 View Post
    If I also buy a separate module that integrates the NAV system with the wheel control, how bad is it (besides the FM turner issue suggested by Asharus)?
    Axxess Metra gets good reviews, costs like $40 on Amazon.com. Check out this guy's website - he's a member of this forum and a couple other Subaru forums. He sells the Axxess Metra and a modified harness for the aftermarket stereo adding the steering wheel control wires (otherwise you have to tap into the factory wires).

Subaru radio and radio wiring harness information

I'm still waiting on him to make me a harness so I haven't installed my new HU or the Axxess Metra yet, so I can't speak from experience.

Also how hard to do an AUX input with the aftermarket NAV system ? I suppose I can stream music thru bluetooth, but I'd hate to lose the AUX input.
    Like the person above me said, aftermarket stereos come with aux inputs. Most are in the back, so you can run it through the glovebox. Some also include one in the front, you'd just have a wire hanging down. The guy in the link I mentioned earlier also makes some sort of adapter to be able to use the center console aux port, but when I asked him about it the other day he said he was currently out of parts and will be getting more. You will lose the USB in the center console either way I think.

And does putting in an aftermaket NAV system void any kind of warranty on the car ?
    Nope! I hear rumors that it can get iffy when you have a HUGE sound system in your car due to the power draw, but they'd be pretty hard pressed to say an engine/transmission/turbo/suspension/etc problem is the result of a stereo...
    Last edited by jeffdill; 03-31-2011 at 09:14 AM.

Thank you for clarifying.

Also, Does anyone have an aftermarket Nav unit installed in their car. How happy are you with it ?
    I've had two of them in my last two Subarus. Both have Pioneer...so I will stand by their quality. The Nav interfaces for them have been simple and easy to use. I'd definitely say get something aftermarket. It should be cheaper than the factory option anyway.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Ok, thank you very much for all of your input! Really appreciate it.

Are there any specific one you would recommend ? There are so many to choose from.

The Z130 BT should be out by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Asharus View Post
    The Z130 BT should be out by now.
    Thank you very much for the info!

Make sure to post pics/vid of the finished product!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.