WRX or STI?

View Poll Results: which year and model?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • save up 20k for 2006 sti

10 52.63%
  • save up 19k for 2009 wrx

9 47.37%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX or STI? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; at the moment, i have 18200. Just got myself a new job at probably the nicest restaurants in town as ...

WRX or STI?

at the moment, i have 18200. Just got myself a new job at probably the nicest restaurants in town as a bus boy so i should be making some good money. I really like the 2006-2007 sti's and the 2008-2009 sti's. I have been reading alot on the 2008-2009 wrx's and it sounds like the 2008's were horrible and they did many improvements on the 2009. however, i would like to do some mods in the future like a downpipe, catback, tune, and some other performance benefiting mods. It seems like its coming down to either the 09 wrx, 2006 sti since it has the better tune and control arms, of the 2008 sti which i dont think i can afford . I dont like the 09 wrx's because they have the ugly bodys with abolutely no fender flares and to me looks like an economy car. They also dont have the 6 speed and many of the other features the 2006 sti has. I live in arizona soo i dont have to worry about the rough ride since the roads are good. Would you guys suggest saving up some more to buy a nice 06 sti or buying a 2009 wrx now and mod it with the money i will be making? i want a car that will not blow up on me and last as long as possible.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    From the description of your situation and needs I would not recommend any of the above cars. They may seem inexpensive to buy but with your stated plans and interests they will not be inexpensive to run, and your goals are not compatible with a car with will last as long as possible.

If you insist, some info: the farther back in time you go the more pronounced the differences between the WRX and the WRX STi models in my view. Up until very recently the WRX was the better road car of the two, with the STi more like something I think you'd like instead from what you've said (I have a WRX, incidentally).

The more enthusiastic the previous owner and the more into cars and the "tuning" scene (s)he was (sigh...) the less likely you are to find a clean, unmodified example with authentic parts used throughout. Just IMO.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    From the description of your situation and needs I would not recommend any of the above cars. They may seem inexpensive to buy but with your stated plans and interests they will not be inexpensive to run, and your goals are not compatible with a car with will last as long as possible.

If you insist, some info: the farther back in time you go the more pronounced the differences between the WRX and the WRX STi models in my view. Up until very recently the WRX was the better road car of the two, with the STi more like something I think you'd like instead from what you've said (I have a WRX, incidentally).

The more enthusiastic the previous owner and the more into cars and the "tuning" scene (s)he was (sigh...) the less likely you are to find a clean, unmodified example with authentic parts used throughout. Just IMO.
    im not looking to do major mods. Like i said, i would keep the 06 sti stock besides a catback exhaust and do light mods on the 09 wrx since it has more hp to begin with and i believe a better suspension set up. Mods would be an intake, downpipe, catback exhaust, and a custom tune. Both cars would be bought completely stock. What kind of mileage can i expect on both of these cars for the price? Also, what is the most miles you would buy on these cars?

I bought a new wrx because I hate previous owners. I wanna be the first one to drive my car. I wanna be the first one to mod it get it tuned and to make sure it runs right. If you buy a used wrx/sti chances are it could of been modified and returned to stock. You don't know if it was beaten on or how they treated the car. I've modded my wrx a little and I do beat on it(as in racing sometimes not doing 360 burnouts or clutch dumps). Chances are you cant afford the insurence or gas on a wrx or sti if your getting a job as a bus boy. I make 45k a year i can afford a wrx but not an sti lol. Idk all im saying is these cars are probally out of your league every dime you make will go to the car and you wont have anything to spend on yourself. I make very good money so I can still afford the stuff i want to.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by miniracer43 View Post
    Also, what is the most miles you would buy on these cars?
    Buy something with a full service history from a non-enthusiast type that has maintained the car using only authentic parts. Finding such a thing could keep you busy for months, incidentally, and is no guarantee the car will last. I like to say I'd drive my car across the country tomorrow no worries but it could also blow up for no specific reason I can envision, and mine is stock with 110K. Buy the newest such car you can afford IMO. Rethink the STi for insurance costs, and rethink the 2009 due to motor history IMO unless it's been repaired by the dealer.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by 11wrxwagon View Post
    I bought a new wrx because I hate previous owners. I wanna be the first one to drive my car. I wanna be the first one to mod it get it tuned and to make sure it runs right. If you buy a used wrx/sti chances are it could of been modified and returned to stock. You don't know if it was beaten on or how they treated the car. I've modded my wrx a little and I do beat on it(as in racing sometimes not doing 360 burnouts or clutch dumps). Chances are you cant afford the insurence or gas on a wrx or sti if your getting a job as a bus boy. I make 45k a year i can afford a wrx but not an sti lol. Idk all im saying is these cars are probally out of your league every dime you make will go to the car and you wont have anything to spend on yourself. I make very good money so I can still afford the stuff i want to.
    thats the main reason i am leaning towards the wrx. I cant get it new but i can get it close to new. Also, im only a sophomore in highschool so i dont have to worry about paying for lots of other things. My dad is going to help me pay for insurance on the car as well. The restaurant im working at is the nicest steak house in town and i take home an average of 80 on week nights and 100-120 in tips plus what they pay me

I Support ClubWRX
    You're a sophomore in high school? The insurance will be criminal. Don't do this. Save the money for college or something, it's a total waste IMO.

You're a sophomore in high school? The insurance will be criminal. Don't do this. Save the money for college or something, it's a total waste IMO.
    im going to insure it under my dads name and have me as a secondary driver to it will not be to crazy. what do you mean as a total waste? I have saved up money for more than 5 years for a nice car since my parents would pay for none of it. I would have much more respect for the car knowing i paid for it all...

I Support ClubWRX
    Opinions will vary. If I knew then what I know now and were in your situation I'd save half the money, buy something reliable, and drive it till the doors fell off -- hopefully to the bachelor's degree graduation ceremony and beyond. Again, just my view.

The job isn't permanent, and although your expenses are low or zero money is easier to spend than save. I suspect you'll need it for other things in the future. Just a thought.

If you insist, I'd say drive both and see what you think of them, and then buy after pricing insurance, maintenance costs, and potential reliability issues. I'd be torn between the two myself frankly, but I would probably opt for newer and a hatch.

Opinions will vary. If I knew then what I know now and were in your situation I'd save half the money, buy something reliable, and drive it till the doors fell off -- hopefully to the bachelor's degree graduation ceremony and beyond. Again, just my view.

The job isn't permanent, and although your expenses are low or zero money is easier to spend than save. I suspect you'll need it for other things in the future. Just a thought.

If you insist, I'd say drive both and see what you think of them, and then buy after pricing insurance, maintenance costs, and potential reliability issues. I'd be torn between the two myself frankly, but I would probably opt for newer and a hatch.
    i see where you are coming from. I have been able to save up this much money for a long ass time and can spend it conservatively on things i need compared to things i want. On most of my purchases, i have found extremely good deals on them and sold them for more and benefited. i think the 09 hatch would be a better bet since it has 260 hp which is pretty close to the sti and its 3 years newer with a warrenty. this just seems like the most logical solutoin

I Support ClubWRX
    OK seems reasonable. Do read very carefully on here or elsewhere the "blown motor" threads about the 09 though, and also look around for owner impressions etc.

09 WRX Engine Failures

OK seems reasonable. Do read very carefully on here or elsewhere the "blown motor" threads about the 09 though, and also look around for owner impressions etc.

09 WRX Engine Failures
    I have looked into this with great detail. I had a friend that blew up his engine on his wrx too. he ended up doing a whole cosworth rebuilt with their cranks, pistons, rods, ect. hes pushing around 470 hp now and he loves it. I have a question about the wrx tho. Have they updated the transmission from the older 07 and below years? i know they are notorious for having "glass transmissions". Im not going to launch it and drive like an idiot, i just want to be sure it can hold up to a stage II.

I Support ClubWRX
    Ostensibly, yes, they have made incremental improvements including increased gear widths and increased number of syncro "cones" (English not a strong suit here...). Still, you are buying used and you have no way of predicting how the gearbox will turn out I suppose. I have an 02 and my gearbox is fine, but I tend to be quite conservative. Some -- most? -- are fine with Stg II but some fail at stock, still, from what I have seen around "here" online.

I think a low mileage STI would be a good choice. My Wrx has cost me a good deal of money but I always find a way to make it financially work. However, I do most of the work myself whic saves me a good bit of cash. I wish I had gotten an STI personally. Also, nice job on saving that much money!

Quote Originally Posted by evan671 View Post
    I think a low mileage STI would be a good choice. My Wrx has cost me a good deal of money but I always find a way to make it financially work. However, I do most of the work myself whic saves me a good bit of cash. I wish I had gotten an STI personally. Also, nice job on saving that much money!
    thanks! Im beginning to think that doing a stage II is on the risky side. On an STi, it woldn't be a problem but on the wrx it will be. i think my best move would be to leave it stock with just a catback exhaust. I dont need all the power of an STi at my age anyway and could buy one later in life when i can afford a new one. Quick questoin about the Cobb accessport. Would it be benefital to me with no mods?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.