New WRX!

This is a discussion on New WRX! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello all, Just put down a deposit for a new black hatchback wrx that will be in in about 2 ...

New WRX!

Hello all,
    Just put down a deposit for a new black hatchback wrx that will be in in about 2 weeks. My question to you guys is, is it worth getting the short-throw shifter? What does this do that the regular shifter can't? Is it worth the extra $300+ ?
    Also, I know it says that premium gas is necessary, but is this just a recommendation? Does it absolutely need premium over regular?
    Thanks,
    Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Minimum requirement for the WRX is 91, but most get 93 if available. I never drove the car without the short throw shifter, but from my research, it makes a huge difference. I know it made a huge difference on my previous car, so it was a no brainer to get it for me. Get the bushing too, since it doesn't come with it. It's only about 25 bucks.
    2011 WRX Limited w/ Nav, Performance Auto Solutions Tuned by Dave - 349awhp 366 ft/lbs @ 19psi E85
    Enkei PF01s, AEM Intake, PW TMIC, TS Kompact BPV, Invidia Q300 Catless Turboback, GS EBCS
    GS Uppipe, Tial MV-S 38mm EWG, FIC 1100cc Injectors, DW DW65c FP, PTP Turbo Blanket, Zeitronix ECA Gauge
    AEM Wideband & Boost Gauges, SMY Cluster, SPT Short Throw Shifter/Bushing, Anarchy Motive Shift Knob, 30% Tint

ok so regular gas is out of the question? i don't want to ruin the engine but i also don't want a hole in my wallet so i'm just checking...also, i know you say the short throw makes a huge difference, but what does it do exactly? does it just let you move your arm a shorter distance to catch the gear? And did you get the short throw from the dealer or aftermarket?

I Support ClubWRX
    I could have sworn i replied to this post yesterday.Anyway,no,only premium gas.Also you might want to do some research on the SS.You will find that the preferred shortshifter is the kartboy.But you should upgrade the bushings as well.
    You have until March 31st to join a group buy on NASIOC from turn in concepts to get the short shifter & bushings for 30% off.08+ Impreza Super Shifter Set - GROUP BUY!!!!! - NASIOC You get the whole set for just $140
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    I could have sworn i replied to this post yesterday.Anyway,no,only premium gas.Also you might want to do some research on the SS.You will find that the preferred shortshifter is the kartboy.But you should upgrade the bushings as well.
    You have until March 31st to join a group buy on NASIOC from turn in concepts to get the short shifter & bushings for 30% off.08+ Impreza Super Shifter Set - GROUP BUY!!!!! - NASIOC You get the whole set for just $140
    hahaha you guessed right, i put it in the wrong forum so i decided to re-post in this sub-forum...anyway, is it easy to install the short-throw shifter or is it worth telling the dealer to do?

Quote Originally Posted by justmike View Post
    hahaha you guessed right, i put it in the wrong forum so i decided to re-post in this sub-forum...anyway, is it easy to install the short-throw shifter or is it worth telling the dealer to do?
    The shifter itself is a 15 min job. The bushings (highly recommended) will take a good hour or so without a lift. Not terribly hard but they do take some time.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

I Support ClubWRX
    The short shifter install is easy.Its the bushings that are a little tougher.

Driveline Mounts/Bushings FAQ for bushings
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.