More problems!!!!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on More problems!!!! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok i am having more problems out of my STI! I have researched it and still cant find an answer. ...

More problems!!!!

Ok i am having more problems out of my STI! I have researched it and still cant find an answer. So I figured id make a post to see if anyone can help me out. I have a 2004 STI and the problem is that it keeps running hot. I have replaced the thermostate and coolant lines. My radiator is staying topped off with coolant. But the canister that holds the coolant for the trubo does not stay full of coolant, and when it does run hot the coolant that is in that canister tends to cook or boil. I also believe that it takes the coolant out of the canister and dumps it in the reservoir that is next to the radiator. I have no idea what this problem is so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time in reading this post!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Does it run hot at idle and then cool down under load?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

It happens at idle, and normal driving. But when I run the car it never overheats, the temp gauge actually goes down lower than normal which makes sense. But everytime it has started to run hot i have pulled over and the turbo cooler canister i guess thats what its called, is boiling the coolant and its low and the reservoir is overflowing. I have no idea where to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Rallybluewrxsti View Post
    It happens at idle, and normal driving. But when I run the car it never overheats, the temp gauge actually goes down lower than normal which makes sense. But everytime it has started to run hot i have pulled over and the turbo cooler canister i guess thats what its called, is boiling the coolant and its low and the reservoir is overflowing. I have no idea where to start.
    Radiator cap. If the coolant is boiling out of the system and into the reservior, I would start there and have it pressure tested
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

My car has a koyo radiator do you think its the radiator cap or that canister cap that is the problem? Ill try both and hope for the best. I have tried everything except a new water pump and the caps. I really hope this fixes it. Thanks for the info ill keep everyone posted!

I Support ClubWRX
    When did the problem start?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

It happend fairly recently. The car has 105,000 miles on it so some problems are expected to arise at this point but this one i just really bugging me. I talked to the subaru dealership and they told me that it is a blown head gasket, but if it was a blown head gasket then i would start getting coolant mixed in with my oil, and that is not happening.

I Support ClubWRX
    So it didn't happen after you did some work on the car?

If not, replace both caps and while you are burping the system (you are burping the system, right?) make sure you have circulation after the thermostat opens.

If you have circulation, you have burped the system very well and repeatedly, and if replacing both caps doesn't fix it, the dealership may have a point.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

No it didnt happen after I did some work to the car. I dont have much mods on the car as it sits right now. But it would make sense that maybe an air pocket got in there somehow. Ill try replacing the caps to see if the problem keeps hapening. But I have one more question: How do you go about burping the system?

I Support ClubWRX
    Not burping can explain every instance of overheating, except the first one. Here is how to burp (read entire thread):
    Subaru Overheating!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rallybluewrxsti View Post
    I talked to the subaru dealership and they told me that it is a blown head gasket, but if it was a blown head gasket then i would start getting coolant mixed in with my oil, and that is not happening.
    This is not always the case. It could be blowing compression into the cooling system. You can check that with a block tester quite easily
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Well guys i really appreciate all the info! I just ordered a new cap, and it will be here on Friday. So im going to try burping the system and the new cap and see how it works. Hopefully my problem will fixed. Ill keep everyone posted. Thanks again guys!

You ever think it might be the radiator
    278whp 286tq blouch 16g @ 17.5psi
    "My 02 wagon build" http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...gon-build.html
    Operation Iraqi Freedom x3
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

I've had similar probs with turbo cars. Make sure the turbine shaft on the turbo has no play in it showing signs of a blown turbo being the turbo is water cooled it could be getting hot due to being worn.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.