Newbie buyers guide question: Are 08-09 wrx's weak?
Results 1 to 8 of 8

This is a discussion on Newbie buyers guide question: Are 08-09 wrx's weak? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hi. i'm looking to buy an '06 or newer wrx and i heard that the 08 and 09 model didn't ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6

    Newbie buyers guide question: Are 08-09 wrx's weak?

    hi. i'm looking to buy an '06 or newer wrx and i heard that the 08 and 09 model didn't offer as great a performance as the 06-07 or 10-11 models. hoping someone can shed some light, i couldn't google any answers about this.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    orlando flawduh
    Posts
    12,688
    I Support ClubWRX
    The 08 models are the ones that were frowned upon. They changed the body style but still had the same power of the previous years. 09 is where they upped to 265hp however some built in the summer of 08 had engine failures.

    2011 is when the wrx got another facelift but power is the same as 09+ models

    desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

  4. #3
    Registered User Chudv23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    54
    I wouldn't say frowned upon I bought an 08 because my insurance went up 80 bucks a month for the 09 model, just get a good exhaust and intake and you'll be right up there with the 09 and have cheaper insurance!!

  5. #4
    Registered User 06scoobyrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SL,UT
    Posts
    2,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Chudv23 View Post
    I wouldn't say frowned upon I bought an 08 because my insurance went up 80 bucks a month for the 09 model, just get a good exhaust and intake and you'll be right up there with the 09 and have cheaper insurance!!
    Not without a TBE and a good tune... the 09's have a larger turbo (vf52 versus the tiny TD04) and responds to the same modifications with A LOT bigger gains... Some stage 2+ 09 and up models are putting down pretty close to 290whp on some dynos versus stage 2 TD04 wrx's are sitting at ~220whp... plus you'd still be stuck with the 08 suspention softness....
    Last edited by 06scoobyrex; 03-27-2011 at 05:36 PM.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

  6. #5
    Registered User IamCraiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    28
    Its the "look" of the 08-09 sedan that pissed all these guys off.... too "executive" Toyota Corolla or something... I far prefer the older sedans

    The Hatch though rocks...love my '08, do a f/r sway bar upgrade and you're good to go... loved my 06, but the '08 is much better... but that being said, come 2012, ill be upgrading again to a 2011+ just to keep current...

    Ill keep up to, or beat, any 09, 10, or 11 through our backroads... very little betwixt them in this context
    Last edited by IamCraiger; 03-28-2011 at 08:53 AM.

  7. #6
    zax
    zax is online now
    \_(ツ)_/ zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    12,937
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    Not without a TBE and a good tune... the 09's have a larger turbo (vf52 versus the tiny TD04) and responds to the same modifications with A LOT bigger gains... Some stage 2+ 09 and up models are putting down pretty close to 290whp on some dynos versus stage 2 TD04 wrx's are sitting at ~220whp... plus you'd still be stuck with the 08 suspention softness....
    Maybe so, but considering one can pick up a 2008 for approx. $13K with low mileage and add on the lower weight, stiffer chassis, and stronger tranny over the outgoing 2007 WRX, the 2008 has its place as a good mod platform. A VF52 swap isn't too difficult, and the soft suspension can be remedied with a good set of struts + springs + sways...

    EDIT:
    OP, just to let you know... the only reason that the horsepower rating dropped from 230 to 224 for the 2008 is because Subaru adopted the new SAE standard for measuring power. The 2008 (TD04-13T powered) motor puts down similar numbers as all the previous 2.5L motors...
    Last edited by zax; 03-28-2011 at 08:34 AM.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

  8. #7
    Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Davey Jones Locker
    Posts
    8,525
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    and the soft suspension can be remedied with a good set of struts + springs + sways...
    Low acheived.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS


    Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

    Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

  9. #8
    zax
    zax is online now
    \_(ツ)_/ zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    12,937
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Low acheived.
    NEVER!!!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •