looking into options

This is a discussion on looking into options within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey guys. Soon to be new to the WRX scene from Va. i wanted to drop a few questions your ...

looking into options

hey guys. Soon to be new to the WRX scene from Va.

i wanted to drop a few questions your way. See what you thought. I have been doing some extensive research and looking at an 09 and up WRX or an 08-09 STi

one of the larger factors for me is cost. I am not buying new and looking at the 19-25K range.

I test drove an 09 (the 275HP) WRX and was thoroughly impressed. I have test driven, the SRT4, the Mazdaspeed3 and GTI. I have to say I am hooked on the Soooooobie!!

anyways, I am trying to weigh the options of the STi vs the WRX. Seems to me that minus the suspension which is important, and the smart drive option, there isnt much difference in the car. I feel like I can dump some money into a WRX and pull the same kind of power as a stock STi? Am I correct in that idea? Am I being naive?

Just a little context, I have only ever owned and driven american cars. I am currently in a monster of a vehicle right now. A 2007 Chrysler 300 SRT8 pushing close to 550whp. I know I know, totally different ride, and I love my SRT. but I am ready to move on.

Any help, thoughts, perspective would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    What do you want it for? I guess that will kind of determine what to buy.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    For 25 k buy new. Subaru are better at making STi cars than anyone else so buy one from them rather than DIY. The power levels are not the real difference between the two models and are not what to consider.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

thanks guys. i am looking for something fun with power. Something reliable that i can enjoy. I will use it to drive to work etc.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you want a car made in the US (since your current car doesn't seem to be made in the US) you might look into the Subaru Legacy line. There are turbo models offered and they are a little roomier than the Imprezas.
    EDIT: Oops, saw the price range again, the Legacy may be a bit more costly than that. Worth a look though, they are nice cars.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

There are a lot of differences between the STI and the WRX. If things like powertrain, brakes and suspension are important than go with the STI - if looks and the interior with some street performance is important then the WRX is great. You can not make the WRX into an STI with aftermarket parts for the same cost as upgrading to an STI.

The going from the WRX to the STI is like going from college to the pros. There are fans of each, but the bottom line for the fastest action and the hardest hits there is no substitution for the pros. The STI is the pro model.

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Seeing that money is of interest in it for you, you might want to also call your auto insurer and see what the difference in rates might be.

As a DD the WRX is an excellent car. If you are looking for something that is more of a top-dog, the STI is just that.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP OTS Stage 1 93, STS (the dream comes true ...)

You won't come near the HP you have now in either car without serious money. If you don't track your cars then I would go WRX. The STI is the better car no question, but saving several grand you would enjoy the WRX plenty. The STI has track features that are awesome but on the street they don't gain you anything. And the price dif is around $8k.

I went from an E85 Evo 8 at roughly 400whp to an 11 WRX. Even stock I found the 11 WRX just as enjoyable even though it was down a lot of power.

When I was looking I found it cheaper by about $2k to buy new than used. So that was weird.

But an equally modded 09+ WRX vs STI would show "close" numbers and the only dif you would see would be at a track. As a DD I honestly think the WRX is the way to go. I was comparing 08+ Evo X and STI and found the 11 WRX the perfect fit.
    Steve // 2008 Lexus IS-F // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

i forgot i posted this so long ago... almost 1 month later i bought a 2011 WRX with 1K miles on it. and modded it. and then promptly sold my SRT8