rattling deceleration noise
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on rattling deceleration noise within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Im new to this just bought a 02 wrx stock with 70k on it and when in gear i let ...

rattling deceleration noise

Im new to this just bought a 02 wrx stock with 70k on it and when in gear i let off the gas around 2500 3000 rpms and there is a rattling noise iv been told wrx have heat sheilds and a lot of exshaust guards is it possible its that or my transmission? because the car shifts and drives great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Any more info on where it sounds like it is coming from, front, rear, left, right?
    Contributing unsolicited, worthless opinions since 9/10...
    The project I spend all my money on.... <---- Click it

Without having much info to go on here, you could also check your exhaust hangers. A car of that age from NY probably has a loose heat shield or two however as mentioned above. You can check your exhaust manifold and up pipe shields by removing the engine undertray and crawling under there, down pipe heat shield by popping the hood. Also a heat shield just before the axle back, can't recall if there are any others in between.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

the sound comes from the front

thanks il have to check those out

I noticed a rattling on mine the other day too, when I was engine braking in 3rd from 5-3k RPM. Freaked me out. I read somewhere that it's normal?

ya i heard that to i guess a lot of them have that rattle so im not to worried about it i just wanted to make sure

Mine rattled and then i found out my former shop set my ring and pinion wrong and it shredded all the teeth in my tranny
    278whp 286tq blouch 16g @ 17.5psi
    "My 02 wagon build" http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...gon-build.html
    Operation Iraqi Freedom x3
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

how do i check if those are set wrong?

and did they fix your tranny for free

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Your up-pipe heatsheild welds probably came untacked. Everyone that is still on the stock 02-03 up-pipes have had this problem. Sounds like dookie. Get an 06+ up pipe, I just sold mine for 25$ and you wont have to worry about the cat going bad and ruining your turbo.

ya when i first heard it i was scared that something was wrong with my tranny but i did start looking around and a good amount of people have had this problem and thanks for the info il have to get one

A lot of what I'm hearing on forums is that it's the turbo heat shield... I'm actually hearing it more from my exhaust. Coincidentally, this comes right after running over a stupid block of concrete that got bashed onto the road from a truck running over the center divide.

I'm going to guess it's an exhaust mount bracket or perhaps another heatshield. I don't know about you guys but having weird noises/rattles is SUCH a pet peeve of mine. Will do anything to find it and stop it.
    BOOMBOTIX
    Audio For Life in Motion

My WRX made for everyday rally

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.