Got me one a them WRX's!

This is a discussion on Got me one a them WRX's! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just traded my 06 MAzda6s for a 2002 Sedona Red WRX!! I'm more than happy with the trade. This thing ...

Talking Got me one a them WRX's!

Just traded my 06 MAzda6s for a 2002 Sedona Red WRX!! I'm more than happy with the trade. This thing is incredible. The 7 hour drive home was a blast!

Overall it's in great shape. More nicks and dings then I would like, but for an 02 she sure is pretty.

Here are some pics: 2002 Subaru WRX pictures by miatadam - Photobucket

Quick question that probably belongs in another thread. CEL came on on way home, but the guy swears it is just the gas cap and that there wasn't a Subie dealer in MS to help him with it. So, can the gas cap/fitment cause a CEL on that model year?

Thanks guys looking forward to learning a **** ton of Subie knowledge from you!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What is the cel code that is coming up?

Well I just got back from O'Reilly and Autozone and neither reader was able to make a connection through obdII... Fuse problem maybe?

I'm having a problem with acceleration when I'm past 85mph and have it pegged to the floor. The engine hesitates, picks up, hesitates, picks up, etc. in equal time intervals..

i had a similar problem on my 02 wrx when i bought it 2 months ago it ended up my mass air flow censor was broken i took it to subaru because they pin pointed the exact problem. and does it have mods?

Nope, no mods at all or at least that I am aware of. I'm about 95% sure there aren't any. The MAF isn't very hard to get to is it?

its easy to get to its the thing on your intake with the wires coming out of it should be right on top of the intake

Cool, yeah I just read another thread talking about cleaning the MAF, so I'm going to give that a shot after work and if it looks broken I can get one pretty cheap through work.

the mass airflow sensor (maf) is located right after the airbox in the intake tract before the turbo. Might help to pull and clean it first (use electrical contact cleaner or specific maf cleaner) .. need to know what that code is though.. if you can, wander by a local dealer and see if they'll pull codes for you. Might have to pay a diag fee but it will at least point you in the right direction.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

have you googled the code yet that how i found out what one of my codes ment. good luck
    278whp 286tq blouch 16g @ 17.5psi
    "My 02 wagon build" http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...gon-build.html
    Operation Iraqi Freedom x3
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

Well after cleaning my battery posts and installing a new terminal, the CEL light has gone off for now. So if it comes back I will try a dealer. Like I said before the code readers at Oreilly and AZ were unable to pull anything...

Hopefully a goof MAF cleaning is all I need.

Ok, so with a new fuel filter and a clean MAF (which didn't look dirty to begin with) I am still having acceleration problems past 85 mph in 5th gear - I didn't check it in 4th at that speed.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by maw230 View Post
    Well after cleaning my battery posts and installing a new terminal, the CEL light has gone off for now. So if it comes back I will try a dealer. Like I said before the code readers at Oreilly and AZ were unable to pull anything...

Hopefully a goof MAF cleaning is all I need.
    The only reason the CEL has gone off is that, in the process of cleaning your battery terminals, you removed the battery and reset the ECU.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Right, I understand the CEL situation now I am trying to understand the other issue. I found another user with the exact same problem in another thread: Surge power under boost - NASIOC , so hopefully we can get it figured out.