2006-2007 WRX
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2006-2007 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone! im turning 17 in about a month and have always wanted a WRX. I drive an Altima right ...

2006-2007 WRX

Hey everyone!

im turning 17 in about a month and have always wanted a WRX. I drive an Altima right now and want to upgrade to a little more power. my dad made an agreement with me to match however much money i can put down. i have 8500 but my dad wouldnt let me spend that much and get a high performance car for my first year of driving so he agreed on my 17th birthday i can get it! The time is coming and i can spend 17000. I really like the 2006-2007 because of the upgraded 2.5l block that the sti's come with. I also like the body style of them over all the years except the new sti wagons. My question is what can i expect to get? For the amount of miles i can get on the car, what problems should i be looking for in the future and how much will it cost? Our family has been with statefarm for 15 years and i have many discounts for grades, safe driving, and taking a driving course so insurance shouldnt be too crazy out the roof. As for mods, i am not looking to do anything except an exhaust. My friends has the Invidia catless on his sti and i love the sound on it. He has a whole cosworth engine and twin clutch set up and he is always getting his **** tuned. Am i going to need to do this or do they only need to be tuned when you mess with air intake and air/fuel mixtures? Thanks for the help! i am just looking to see what i can expect to get for the money and what problems i can be aware of in the future.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    welcome :]

1) you should be able to find an 06-07 with about 50-60k miles for 16ish (of course this depends on where you live)

2) what to look out for? read this: How to Buy a Used WRX or STI

you basically want to find a STOCK wrx. any modded ones could potentially cause headaches.

3) if you get a turboback exhaust you would need a tune. if you get a catback exhaust you wouldnt. here is more information for you:
    Yes, you need an EM for engine mods

good luck & if you find a car youre interested in, post up the link if they have an ad online so we can look at it

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome.

Look at the 2006 WRX over the 2007. You will get aluminum control arms and a better factory tune with the 2006.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    All of the above...then watch your insurance sky rocket

Hey, welcome to the forum! Good luck in your search for the perfect WRX for you. It took me about 5 months to find the right one for me. They are rare to find stock and in good condition depending on your area. I was also interested in the 06-07's, but fell in love with my 04 instead. If i was spending that much, i would try to get an 05 STI with low miles.

Quote Originally Posted by zdrummerz View Post
    Hey, welcome to the forum! Good luck in your search for the perfect WRX for you. It took me about 5 months to find the right one for me. They are rare to find stock and in good condition depending on your area. I was also interested in the 06-07's, but fell in love with my 04 instead. If i was spending that much, i would try to get an 05 STI with low miles.
    yeah STIs are freaking awesome!,.. only problem is insuring it... I live in utah and I'm also looking for a 2006-2007 WRX,. and yes they are hard to find stock. I'm 24 atm will be 25 in September and have a spotless driving record,.. To insure a 2006 STi (Collision and liability) would cost roughly $880 every six months which is just about $150 bucks a month vs. just a "wrx" which would cost roughly $490 every six months..Or $80 a month.

Now i'm planning on adding to the suspension, (F+R sway bars in particular), and a stage two cobb kit (exhaust, intake and access port),. which in total will probably run around 3k. I know it still wont be an STi but it will be a lot closer,.. and still for half the price to insure.

around salt lake city, the average asking price for a 2006-2007 wrx (both mod and stock,. and restored/rebuilt<(if you can believe it)) is 15k.. My goal is to pick up completely stock or maybe slightly modded (depending on mod) 60k miles, clean title 2006 wrx for around 13k, add the 3k in parts and that ends up roughly being a 16k car... vs the 20k STi (for same years) and ginormus insurance rates..

Thats the plan anyway, what you guys think?
    Last edited by Spiffy; 03-30-2011 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
    yeah STIs are freaking awesome!,.. only problem is insuring it... I live in utah and I'm also looking for a 2006-2007 WRX,. and yes they are hard to find stock. I'm 24 atm will be 25 in September and have a spotless driving record,.. To insure a 2006 STi (Collision and liability) would cost roughly $880 every six months which is just about $150 bucks a month vs. just a "wrx" which would cost roughly $490 every six months..Or $80 a month.

Now i'm planning on adding to the suspension, (F+R sway bars in particular), and a stage two cobb kit (exhaust, intake and access port),. which in total will probably run around 3k. I know it still wont be an STi but it will be a lot closer,.. and still for half the price to insure.

around salt lake city, the average asking price for a 2006-2007 wrx (both mod and stock,. and restored/rebuilt<(if you can believe it)) is 15k.. My goal is to pick up completely stock or maybe slightly modded (depending on mod) 60k miles, clean title 2006 wrx for around 13k, add the 3k in parts and that ends up roughly being a 16k car... vs the 20k STi (for same years) and ginormus insurance rates..

Sounds good, it won't be anywhere close to an STi though! Don't think of trying to get it close to an STi....just think of improving on the WRX platform...ya know?
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Go all out and get the STI wishing i did... still love my wrx tho
    HAWK EYE ALLIANCE # [5][6][2]

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX

I hate when people say "just a wrx" because it makes it seem like less of a car. Which it is not. It may fall short power wise compared to the STi but it has advantages over the STi

Quote Originally Posted by lytlec View Post
    Sounds good, it won't be anywhere close to an STi though! Don't think of trying to get it close to an STi....just think of improving on the WRX platform...ya know?
    If someone wants to look into making their WRX into an STi start with the an 06 TR. They come with aluminium control arms at least. Probably the best year and trim you can get IMO. I may be biased though

Really the debate between the STi is moot. Unless you plan to build something over 300whp the WRX will do you just fine. If you're intent is to build a street monster then get the STi because all that money that you "saved" going with "just a WRX" is going to end up costing you money in a trans swap anyway.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Welcome.

Look at the 2006 WRX over the 2007. You will get aluminum control arms and a better factory tune with the 2006.
    I got bored at work today, and spent some time just reading the history. Its amazing how different Subaru will make 2 cars that look absolutely identical. That said - I absolutely loved my 07. I had it to stage 3 with 88K miles on it and no problems what so ever.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    I got bored at work today, and spent some time just reading the history. Its amazing how different Subaru will make 2 cars that look absolutely identical. That said - I absolutely loved my 07. I had it to stage 3 with 88K miles on it and no problems what so ever.

besides the aluminum control arms, what other differences are there between the 06 and 07 wrx?

It is difficult to find any information on the topic, and what little info i can find mostly regards the STi and not so much the wrx..

one other question..

I found an 07 WRX with 36k miles for an asking price of 13,900. Only issue is the seller says its a rebuilt/restored title,.. and i quote "Is Considered Rebuilt title because of purchase from this auction"

My question is do insurance auctioned cars receive rebuilt titles?? I though the car had to have been in an accident,. aka. smashed to ****!, to be considered salvageable and then of course rebuild-able,... please correct me if i'm wrong.

Now if this was a clean tittle it would be the best deal i have seen yet, but nearly 14k for a rebuilt?? Basically i need to know if this dude is full of **** or if this could possibly be a worthy car for purchase.

here is the link to the add,. The seller is roughly fifteen minuets away from my house. http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=0&n...iew&ad=4158060

Thanks guys!

besides the aluminum control arms, what other differences are there between the 06 and 07 wrx?

I found an 07 WRX with 36k miles for an asking price of 13,900. Only issue is the seller says its a rebuilt/restored title,.. and i quote "Is Considered Rebuilt title because of purchase from this auction"
    Most people will say it's not a good idea to by a salvage/rebuilt title. They are much cheaper but much riskier. $13,900 isn't that great of a price either. I paid $13k for an 06 with 65k miles with a clean title about a year ago.
    2006 Crystal Gray Metallic WRX
    http://www.rapidcars.com

Quote Originally Posted by rapidwrx View Post
    Most people will say it's not a good idea to by a salvage/rebuilt title. They are much cheaper but much riskier. $13,900 isn't that great of a price either. I paid $13k for an 06 with 65k miles with a clean title about a year ago.
    yes, and i fully agree with that,.. but if this is a car that "only" has a rebuilt title because someone couldn't afford to make payments and got it repossessed by the bank, then basically its a new car with nothing wrong with it,. and because it has a mark on the title it could probably be talked down in price... see where i'm going with this?... I dont know, maybe its bad idea. But then, thats why i'm asking for advice right?

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I did some reading about Utah laws... A rebuilt title is only for cars that insurance companies have declared total loss on. A re-po will not trigger a branded title for you (from the reading I have done). I think you are being bamboozled by your dealer.

I wouldn't go near a salvaged car. While some work just fine, I have never had enough money to risk in maintaining a car that would never work fine and could not be resold for any real money.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    I did some reading about Utah laws... A rebuilt title is only for cars that insurance companies have declared total loss on. A re-po will not trigger a branded title for you (from the reading I have done). I think you are being bamboozled by your dealer.

I wouldn't go near a salvaged car. While some work just fine, I have never had enough money to risk in maintaining a car that would never work fine and could not be resold for any real money.
    oh wow yeah good to know! I think you are correct,. that this dude is trying to take advantage of the buyer. I'm going to side with your advice and stay away from all these rebuilt title-mobiles. The risk is just too much.

....So the search continues,. A worthy car has to make an appearance eventually right?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.