Went from BMW to Subaru
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Went from BMW to Subaru within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Got a lot of hate from my BMW brethren, but I'm lovin the switch! I've only owned BMWs since I ...

Went from BMW to Subaru

Got a lot of hate from my BMW brethren, but I'm lovin the switch!

I've only owned BMWs since I started driving in 1999, and it was definitely a great experience and a pleasure to drive each and every one of them. I went from a 1990 325i, to a 1992 525i, to a 1998 540i, to a 2001 540i (and a 1997 318ti as a daily driver for about a year).

I traded the wife's 1998 540i for a Nissan Sentra due to the issues it was having (Valley Pan Gasket leaking, coil packs, CEL, etc) a few months ago, and sold the 2001 540i/6 this and replaced it with a 2011 WRX Limited w/ Nav.

I was a little nervous about going from a $60k car to a $30k car, but my only complaints so far are how cheap the turn signal stalk feels compared to the 540.

Out with the old

YouTube - 2001 BMW 540i/6

In with the new:

YouTube - 2011 WRX Limited with Nav
    2011 WRX Limited w/ Nav, Performance Auto Solutions Tuned by Dave - 349awhp 366 ft/lbs @ 19psi E85
    Enkei PF01s, AEM Intake, PW TMIC, TS Kompact BPV, Invidia Q300 Catless Turboback, GS EBCS
    GS Uppipe, Tial MV-S 38mm EWG, FIC 1100cc Injectors, DW DW65c FP, PTP Turbo Blanket, Zeitronix ECA Gauge
    AEM Wideband & Boost Gauges, SMY Cluster, SPT Short Throw Shifter/Bushing, Anarchy Motive Shift Knob, 30% Tint

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Now just dump 15k$ on mods and you will blow any BMW away.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Welcome to the club!

There are a few of us here from BMWs, there are like 4 of us that moved over from e46fanatcs. I got some flaming from people about it, but truth is that my Bimmer was 10 years old and I got tired of people acting like a 10 year old 3series was better than everything on the road.

You'll come to find out that you'll sacrifice a few creature comforts from the BMW but the Subaru more than makes up for it in others way. I am SO happy with the Subaru and honestly haven't really looked back since. There are definitely a few things about it that I miss or got used to, but honestly, those were really just creature comforts that I didn't NEED.

You made a good choice man!
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Creature comforts.... Yeah I do miss a few things, such as the auto-tilting passenger side mirror when you back up and the rain sensing wipers.

A friend of mine that has a 2008 Audi A4 S-Line 2.0T asked if I had power seats and I replied with no. He then said "see, it's little things like that I like". I then proceeded to ask him how often he moves his seat on a daily basis. He replied with "never". Then I asked him how often he can go 0-60 in under 5 seconds...
    2011 WRX Limited w/ Nav, Performance Auto Solutions Tuned by Dave - 349awhp 366 ft/lbs @ 19psi E85
    Enkei PF01s, AEM Intake, PW TMIC, TS Kompact BPV, Invidia Q300 Catless Turboback, GS EBCS
    GS Uppipe, Tial MV-S 38mm EWG, FIC 1100cc Injectors, DW DW65c FP, PTP Turbo Blanket, Zeitronix ECA Gauge
    AEM Wideband & Boost Gauges, SMY Cluster, SPT Short Throw Shifter/Bushing, Anarchy Motive Shift Knob, 30% Tint

Exactly. Most of my friends gave me crap about how my car doesn't have power seats. Like you said though, How often do you really move your seat?

Rain sensing wipers was basically just a smarter intermittent wipers. It's not going to kill me to have to push a lever down.

One thing I really miss though is the auto dimming mirror, but it's an option for us to get....just wish I bought it lol.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Asharus View Post
    A friend of mine that has a 2008 Audi A4 S-Line 2.0T asked if I had power seats and I replied with no. He then said "see, it's little things like that I like". I then proceeded to ask him how often he moves his seat on a daily basis. He replied with "never". Then I asked him how often he can go 0-60 in under 5 seconds...
    I think that about sums it up perfectly!
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

Yeah, the auto-dimming mirror was nice too, but I'm not sure if we really need it. Can't we just add it later on anyway? The only options I took were the SPT Short Throw Shifter/Bushing and Media Hub. I'm thinking about getting the arm rest extension and rear cup holder. From what I hear, they're both really easy to install.

You paid extra for the media hub?

My dealership told me it was standard on the perm and ltd trim...I didn't pay for it, it wasn't even on the order.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

The USB port is standard on non-Nav units, but if you get Nav, you only get the A/V jacks. To get the USB port you need to add the hub. Sucks huh?

That's kinda stupid IMO. Either way it's kind of a necessity, for me at least lol.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    rear cup holders are useful,but my dealer advised against it.He said that a lot of his customers broke theirs while getting in/out of the car.In any case the rear doors have cup holders in them.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by Asharus View Post
    Creature comforts.... Yeah I do miss a few things, such as the auto-tilting passenger side mirror when you back up and the rain sensing wipers.

I move my seats about as often as I do 0-60 in under 5 sec. Not much into launching my car and potentially blowing the tranny, haha. Nice switch though! Looks real good and welcome to Subarus!
    My woman hates the money pit
    2002 WRX Hybrid 2.5L 16G

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    rear cup holders are useful,but my dealer advised against it.He said that a lot of his customers broke theirs while getting in/out of the car.In any case the rear doors have cup holders in them.
    lol I was considering getting them, then I noticed the door cup holders and lol'd.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Banned
    I believe the door cupholder are really only bottle holders. It would be hard to get a fast food soda cup in their let alone a big gulp.

Power seats actually suck if you change a lot (unless they are the memory seats). They are too slow if the drivers are in much different in seating positions (wife is 5 foot, I am 6 foot).

Congratz on the new WRX. BMWs are nice but it sounds like they werent reliable (I count 5 in 12 years).

It all depends on how they were treated from day one. If you have one that was very well maintained, it will treat you great. If you run into a few problems though, your wallet will feel it lol.

Mine was seriously the best car I have ever owned, hopefully in a few years I can say that about the WRX.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast