Went from BMW to Subaru - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Went from BMW to Subaru within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by xFalleNx It all depends on how they were treated from day one. If you have one that ...

Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    It all depends on how they were treated from day one. If you have one that was very well maintained, it will treat you great. If you run into a few problems though, your wallet will feel it lol.

Mine was seriously the best car I have ever owned, hopefully in a few years I can say that about the WRX.
    Exactly. I bought my e46 M3 used with 40k miles on it and had more problems with it than any other car I've had (other than a 2003 Mitsubishi Galant that was about as problematic as the M3). This was part of the reason for buying the WRX new. I'm tired of inheriting problems resulting from poor maintenance in the first few years of the cars life. Don't get me wrong, the M3 is an incredible car and designed well, but reliability was far worse than I'd expected.

I do miss a few of the luxury items (auto tilt mirrors, heated mirrors, heated seats, heated windshield nozzles, rain sensing wipers, etc) but I don't miss the weight penalty all that luxury brings. The M3 needs to weigh the same as the WRX. It's a sports car, for crying out loud.

I do catch some flack from fellow BMW owners, though. I just laugh it off. I really don't pay much attention to the stereotypes applied to me because of the car I drive. Whether it is because I drove a red convertible BMW or a "rice rocket" WRX. I buy what I want, because I want it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

SamXP, you came here from e46fanatics right?
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    SamXP, you came here from e46fanatics right?
    Yep, same name there. You aren't Critical GP, are you?

Yeah the door holders are made only for bottles. I'll skip on the rear cupholders though, it's not often that I'll have 3 passengers that will all have cups. The 2 up front should be enough.

What about the armrest extension though? So far I don't feel like I need it, but it seems nice to have.

Regarding the BMWs, they're pretty reliable, and I had a really good BMW mechanic (ex-dealer tech) that only charged 55 bucks an hour for labor. No tax either. The only unreliable ones were the V8 540s. The 92 525i was totaled in an accident, the 318ti I just sold because I wanted to cut back on stuff and didn't want a 2nd car anymore, and the 90 325i I upgraded with the 92 525i.

I don't regret owning any of them, and definitely wouldn't mind owning another one in the future, but only if they're brand new and came with the 4yr/50k mile warranty/maintenance, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Asharus View Post
    I don't regret owning any of them, and definitely wouldn't mind owning another one in the future, but only if they're brand new and came with the 4yr/50k mile warranty/maintenance, LOL.
    Same here! Or maybe an E30.
    $55/hr would have eased the pain! I paid $110/hr to my local $tealer. Alternator went out twice. Second time, it killed the battery, too. Total cost for alt and batt? $1270 with labor.

My username over there is/was xFalleNx330Ci.....I forget what Critical's username on here is....it may be the same...

I definitely plan on either buying an e46 m3 or an e30 325/m3 as a dedicated track car eventually.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

WHOA! I can't believe that! I hope Subaru doesn't screw us with stuff like that when our warranty runs out either, LOL. I've never had anyone else but my mechanic touch my cars for over 10 years. Unfortunately, he only works on BMWs. He's going to wonder what the hell happened to me. Going from 3 BMWs to zero in a year. He's used to seeing me practically every few weeks, LOL.

Now the only BMW in the family is my brother's E46 2004 M3. He actually called me the other day complaining that his steering wheel shimmies when he's going about 55MPH. LOL BMWs and their thrust arm bushings.....

I'm a little nervous about the Subaru service department. The dudes that installed my short throw shifter looked like they were 18 or something.

Quote Originally Posted by SamXp View Post
    I do miss a few of the luxury items (auto tilt mirrors, heated mirrors, heated seats, heated windshield nozzles, rain sensing wipers, etc) but I don't miss the weight penalty all that luxury brings. The M3 needs to weigh the same as the WRX. It's a sports car, for crying out loud.
    Our cars have heated mirrors and seats. Also, I thought that it came with heated windshield nozzles as well, but I misunderstood. It turns out that it's heated windshield wipers (heating element on the windshield where the wipers rest).

Now the only BMW in the family is my brother's E46 2004 M3. He actually called me the other day complaining that his steering wheel shimmies when he's going about 55MPH. LOL BMWs and their thrust arm bushings.....
    Ugh, you don't even want to know how many bushings wore out on the M3. Rear Trailing Arm. Diff Mount bushings. From lower control arms. On and on.
    Oh, and even granny shifting, the tires never lasted more than 10k miles in the rear and 15k in the front.

Our cars have heated mirrors and seats. Also, I thought that it came with heated windshield nozzles as well, but I misunderstood. It turns out that it's heated windshield wipers (heating element on the windshield where the wipers rest).
    Yeah, I went with the base model so I'm missing out on those. Oh well!

I Support ClubWRX
    LOL, I go through a mode once in a while where I play with the idea of entering the BMW world. Perhaps I'll stick to Subies after all.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

It really just depends on how the car was treated before you bought it. A car with 150k can be in better shape than one with 65k....it's just kinda tough to wait and make sure you're buying the perfect car for you. Another common misconception is that they're hard to work on, I'm sorry but they're no different really. Most things are just done slightly different that what you're used to and once you get a hang of it, you're good to go.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Quote Originally Posted by SamXp View Post
    Oh, and even granny shifting, the tires never lasted more than 10k miles in the rear and 15k in the front.
    LOL! I forgot about that! The damn tires always wear out on the inside for the rear, and the outside on the fronts! It's the god damned aggressive stance that all BMWs have (negative rear camber). I always liked the look of staggered wheels though.

Lol yes, it was so bad. I was running 18x8F and 18x9R with like -2 camber.....brutal on tires.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Yeah, I dunno about you but I'm lookin forward to the mostly maintenance free years ahead.

Oh, but I forgot about the summer tires that came with our cars. We're gonna have to deal with that later this year somehow. I'll probably get Conti DWS all around. It was the last set I had on my 540 before I sold it and I loved them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.