WRX Buyer Advice

This is a discussion on WRX Buyer Advice within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, this is my first post on this forum but I have been reading countless threads for a long ...

WRX Buyer Advice

Hey guys, this is my first post on this forum but I have been reading countless threads for a long time since I have recently been in the market for a wrx. I figured I would come here for some advice since this seems like the place to go for Subaru experts. Now to the question, I have been looking for a WRX for about two months now and today I got to test drive an '02 that had a few mods on it. The car has 123k miles on it and the seller has replaced the stock intake with an AEM cold air intake, he replaced the stock exhaust with a nameless 3" turbo-back exhaust, and he got the Cobb Acessport 2 software with a stage 2 tune. The guy told me that he had the Cobb installed by a Subaru shop and they had the turbo boosting at 15lbs. The car is still running on stock fuel injectors, stock water pump, the ORIGINAL timing belt, and the stock turbo charger. He didnt replace the up pipe, or the headers when he did the exhaust. So I guess my question is does this sound like a good buy? Or will I have to spend $1500 fixing it in the near future? Oh and by the way the guy is asking $8500 for the car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Does your state require emissions testing? Does the car have a smog certificate? So far the bill is around $700 or so for timing belt, water pump, accessory belts, all fluids, spark plugs etc. I may be estimating low.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yeah I live in Washington state and we do require emissions testing. And I am unsure if it had a smog certificate. I figured it would be around a grand to get everything in working order but I didnt really want to have to jump into that right after buying the car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Keep in mind the car is not legal to drive on public roads anywhere in the United States. It is not road legal. If you require a smog check to get it registered, in an ideal world there is no way the car will pass. Check your local regulations and/or find a stock car with a full service history and no unauthorized parts.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Okay that makes sense. The guy also informed me that car isnt actually in his name and that he is still on loan with the bank, so probably not a good idea either way.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd move on. If he paid to modify a car that he doesn't own but did not pay to maintain it, I'd be a bit concerned. Subarus must be popular in WA, the weather would make then sensible choices. Find one from a sensible person, someone that actually owns the car, say, and that has a full service history for the car so they can show you receipts for all the required maintenance.

Well he replaced the serpentine belt along with one of the idler pulleys, and he told me that he sticks to 3000 mile oil changes with Mobil 1 so it seems as though he had the intention to take car of it ( if he was telling the truth) but he never got to the more expensive maintenance items. But pretty much what you are saying is that it would be a better overall idea to go stock?

I Support ClubWRX
    I feel Subaru are better than anyone else at building Subarus. YMMV.