speaker upgrade
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on speaker upgrade within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm wondering how to best upgrade the sound quality in my WRX without replacing the head unit...anyone done work to ...

speaker upgrade

I'm wondering how to best upgrade the sound quality in my WRX without replacing the head unit...anyone done work to the system of your 2011 and happy with the results? What did you do?
    2011 Subaru WRX Limited DGM 4 door

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Let's start with your budget. And keep in mind you'll just want to replace the fronts and not the rears. That's the best bang for your buck.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

i thought i saw a post that said it's the hu that really sux in our cars, which makes the audi so terrible.
    i wouldn't mind doing a cheap upgrade myself.
    '11 WRX Ltd Sedan DGM
    '11 Audi Q5 2.0T IW
    '98 C2S 3.8 GW
    '95 968 Cab GPW

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm picking up my '11 today and I'll be doing the CleanSweep (~$300) first to clean up the OEM signal processor. That will keep all your OEM HU controls and improve the sound quality. I already have a 4 channel amp from my old car I'll be using to power the OEM door speakers. I believe you'd need that to make this option work though. Haven't done all my research on that yet.

In the summer I'll be upgrading my front speakers and probably leave it like that for a while. I'll look into a stealth sub box later but I can't keep my current, larger, sub setup because I bought a hatch to transport my puppy.

CleanSweep and Amp would be the places I'd start first if you insist on keeping the OEM HU. I'm in the same boat. I'm planning on keeping it as well. The OEM speakers aren't that great, but with the CleanSweep I think you'll see a huge improvement in sound.

thanks Ying...I'd never seen the clean sweep before. Noob question...where do you put the clean sweep box when it's installed, and where do you hide an amp that powers your front door speakers?
    2011 Subaru WRX Limited DGM 4 door

Quote Originally Posted by Ying View Post
    I'm picking up my '11 today and I'll be doing the CleanSweep (~$300) first to clean up the OEM signal processor. That will keep all your OEM HU controls and improve the sound quality. I already have a 4 channel amp from my old car I'll be using to power the OEM door speakers. I believe you'd need that to make this option work though. Haven't done all my research on that yet.
    Subscribed. Very interested in hearing your opinion on the Cleansweep once it's installed.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmcnary View Post
    thanks Ying...I'd never seen the clean sweep before. Noob question...where do you put the clean sweep box when it's installed, and where do you hide an amp that powers your front door speakers?
    Well...I understand the CleanSweep is small enough to put in the dash. I'm a noob to this as well. I've always had a trunk to hide all my amps and stereo gear. The amp, I'll probably have to put it under one of my front seats. The whole purpose of me trading in the STi is to get a hatch to transport my dog so I can't put it too many places in the back that he wouldn't get into. BTW it's a 4 channel amp so it'll power all 4 door speakers. My understanding is that with the CleanSweep you will need an amp to power any speakers you have because it's filtering the HU signal directly to the amp rendering the HU's internal amp basically useless. There are still some drawbacks that I have questions about with this setup but I'll let you know what I find out. Need to save up $300+ first, lol.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ying View Post

In the summer I'll be upgrading my front speakers and probably leave it like that for a while. I'll look into a stealth sub box later but I can't keep my current, larger, sub setup because I bought a hatch to transport my puppy.

CleanSweep and Amp would be the places I'd start first if you insist on keeping the OEM HU. I'm in the same boat. I'm planning on keeping it as well. The OEM speakers aren't that great, but with the CleanSweep I think you'll see a huge improvement in sound.
    I just read this review on the CleanSweep...hmmm....
    "To get the best performance out of the unit you must use the master control volume which comes with the unit, though the instructions say its not required. With that being said I tried running the system without the MCV hooked up and it sounds horrible. I called JL and they explained that the system must be calibrated with the MCV installed but you can remove it after the set up. The problem is the system is continually trying to correct the sound, which seems impossible. Long(and frustrating) story short, if you want to drill a hole in your dash and use the MCV without steering wheel controls I'm sure it works as advertised. If I knew then what I know now, I would have never bought this product."
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

I Support ClubWRX
    Interesting...thanks. So what you're saying is that after you calibrate with the MCV and then try to use the HU volume knob it keeps trying to reprocess the sound? What did they recommend you set the HU volume at in order to use the MCV full time? I haven't had a good chance to look at the dash so I would have to figure out what to do with the MCV without drilling. That, I definitely do not want to do.

**Edit** Nevermind the questions, I just realized you quoted someone else and you don't have this gear.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.