starting new
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on starting new within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just got myself a 2002 wrx wagon and it is complete bone stock. Im looking to go a little ...

starting new

I just got myself a 2002 wrx wagon and it is complete bone stock. Im looking to go a little faster then it is now but I'm not really sure where to start. What do I do first?

Sincerely,
    I like to go fast

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Start right here and then post any questions after reading:
    First Modifications - what to do and not to do
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Welcome! Definitely do your research so you aren't throwing money away.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

And how do you choose an exhaust. I want a custom built one that comes out the side of the car instead of the back end and I like it to be loud but is there a point in which you give up HP gain for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Wagons_haul_ass View Post
    And how do you choose an exhaust. I want a custom built one that comes out the side of the car instead of the back end and I like it to be loud but is there a point in which you give up HP gain for it?
    If you're looking for custom, you'd have to ask around your local exhaust shops to see what they can do. I'm not sure where you plan on having the outlet being these cars are pretty close to the ground but call around. You will not lose power with a larger exhaust, but you won't gain any either unless you go with an aftermarket downpipe and a tune
    Stink eye mob #727

My plans are to get everything new from headers to tip. And I'm having it come out the side in front of the right rear wheel.

IMO headers are a waste of money your stock manifold is fine, also if you do want headers get unequal length if you get equal length then you will lose your boxer engine sound. and if you want it loud go straight pipe.
    278whp 286tq blouch 16g @ 17.5psi
    "My 02 wagon build" http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...gon-build.html
    Operation Iraqi Freedom x3
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

Are there any disadvantages to going straight pipe?

Noise, if that's an advantage, but it's really just personal preference.
    Stink eye mob #727

But I hear all this stuff about catback exhaust. How do those compare to straight pipes

I Support ClubWRX
    A catback, if done alone, will not yield output gains like a turboback exhaust. I straight pipe is just that, a straight piece of pipe, so I don't know how to address your direct question. Exhausts are generally discussed in terms of their start points. If they start at the turbo, they're a turbo back; if after the cats, they're a cat back, and so on.

The advantage to a cat back is that it will not make your car illegal.

The first thing to do with your wagon is to bring it completely up to date on the required maintenance. Look in the owner's manual and make sure everything listed is completed according to your age and miles covered. From there, improve the car from the ground up and inward, as a car that can stop and turn better is by definition faster than one that cannot, and the car already makes adequate power (those that don't believe me might consider how soon they find themselves lifting off before bends, and how late they find themselves accelerating out of bends...).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yes big disadvantage is the cop attention and tickets that may follow
    278whp 286tq blouch 16g @ 17.5psi
    "My 02 wagon build" http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...gon-build.html
    Operation Iraqi Freedom x3
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.