Rear bumper replacement...hit and run

This is a discussion on Rear bumper replacement...hit and run within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Sad day... Got to my car this morning in the parking garage and someone had hit it Not a good ...

Rear bumper replacement...hit and run

Sad day...

Got to my car this morning in the parking garage and someone had hit it Not a good way to start any day. No cameras in the parking garage so I am pretty much f***ed. Whatever hit it was big, either an SUV or truck with a grill as my car was in an area with an up sloping grade. It had to be something sitting high based on the angle and height that it hit on the bumper. There is a scratch about 1 foot long, going veritically upwards, right above the right rear exhaust and also a small crack at the bottom of the bumper right above the exhaust.

I know pictues would help, but wont get any until tonight. 99% sure it can't be buffed out and with a crack present, it must be replaced from what I know..

I can't even concentrate at work as this is all that's on my mind. I called Subaru and obvioulsy they need to look at it in person to make a property assessment. Maybe someone here knows a ballpark figure on how much it would cost to replace? Someone with Body work experience? Although I can't physically see my car at this moment, looking at web pics, the rear bumper is one large piece that wraps around to near the rear passenger doors. I have a 4 door sedan BTW, 2011.

Thanks in advance...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

sorry to hear, hit and runs are the worst. they make me hate humanity.

i work as an auto damage estiamtor for an insurance company, and i wrote a quick estimate to replace the rear bumper, with parts, labor, paint, and tax it came out to $685. keep in mind, i dont know how the parts costs or labor costs are different in canada, so the # is only ballpark.

depending on how bad the damage is, you may be able to have the bumper repaired rather than replaced. my roomate blasted my rear bumper backing out of my driveway, and it was significantly cheaper to repair it vs. replace it. get some estimates, and if it makes sense, ctc your insurance company, and depending on your deductible, it may be worth it to file a claim.

sorry again.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post
    sorry to hear, hit and runs are the worst. they make me hate humanity.

i work as an auto damage estiamtor for an insurance company, and i wrote a quick estimate to replace the rear bumper, with parts, labor, paint, and tax it came out to $685. keep in mind, i dont know how the parts costs or labor costs are different in canada, so the # is only ballpark.

depending on how bad the damage is, you may be able to have the bumper repaired rather than replaced. my roomate blasted my rear bumper backing out of my driveway, and it was significantly cheaper to repair it vs. replace it. get some estimates, and if it makes sense, ctc your insurance company, and depending on your deductible, it may be worth it to file a claim.

sorry again.
    Believe me, I was cursing all morning. I even started to blame myself because I parked in an area of a parking garage that I normally do not because I was lazy last night...

My deductible is currently $500, but if it will cost 685-1k, then I dont want to file a claim and risk my premium to go up when I renew next year. I just hope karma does exist for the bastard that took off. I am going to give my car a wash tonight to really see the imperfections as it was fairly salty due to the poor weather lately. Salt can always magnify or minize damage to the eye though. I will post some pics by tonight hopefully so maybe a better assesment could be done by replacing vs repairing...

i dont know how the laws are in canada, but in california, if you are found not at fault for an accident, your rates cannot be raised if you file a claim. i would investigate that before making that decision.

i'll keep an eye out for pictures later tonight. make sure you take a far away shot and then clear closeups of the damage, and especially of the crack.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004

Sorry to hear that man, it happened in my 09 Forester, just parked then some idiot left about 6" deep dent on the fender (probably when he opened his truck/suv). Had it estimated and paid close to $700 total.

Maybe less you're looking around 600-1000. Hopefully less.

Sorry to hear that, and hopefully karma gets the person.

You should also make sure to check the mounting locations for the bumper cover to make sure those weren't damaged. If they hit it hard enough, they may have cracked those mounting points so you'll need a new bumper cover anyway. Unfortunately you can't fix bumper covers anymore unless it's just scratches.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post
    i dont know how the laws are in canada, but in california, if you are found not at fault for an accident, your rates cannot be raised if you file a claim. i would investigate that before making that decision.

i'll keep an eye out for pictures later tonight. make sure you take a far away shot and then clear closeups of the damage, and especially of the crack.
    Correct me if I am wrong because you would be the person to, but even if you make a claim, does it not go on your "rating" sheet or profile so that in the future other insurers or your own may use this negative information against you to rate your next premium? Even though it's not your fault. I mean let's be honest, insurance companies are in the business to make money, and loads of it. I could get into an accident 5 times in one year and none of them being my fault, with total damages at 12k or more. I mean based on my monthly premium, the insurance company would have to fork out quite a bit of money (out of their pocket) for me to keep driving I bet when I renew, even though it was not my fault, the premium would go up regardless

Some insight? I know you may or may not have different legislation on this matter...

In the US, it depends on the state, but in general, you're correct. Insurance companies base their rates on those sheets and their discretion, and all of them may have different criteria for coming up with a rate. It is controlled by states in some places. I used to live in Massachusetts and the state at that time regulated all rates so the companies had to apply all incidents/claims/whatever the same exact way.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

laws are different in every state, and i only know california dept of ins regulations.

the devil is in the details. in your example, you had 5 not at fault accidents, but it depends on if those were accidents involving another vehicle and another insurance company that accepted fault for what happened. if all 5 did involve another insurance company accepting fault, then that at fault insurance company would have paid back your insurance company every penny they paid out on the claim. in reality, your insurance company has not really paid anything out on your policy because they were reimbursed. insurance companies are in the biz of making money, but at the same time, ins companies make much more money RETAINING customers by not screwing them over when they dont do anything wrong.

again, this is all california specific. i would always suggest contacting the policy services dept of your insurance company or your agent with questions.

in the OP's case. i would DEFINETLY pose the question about rates before making the decision to fork over up to $1k to fix a bumper when he would be paying only a $500 deductible.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004

Here are some pics. It was taken tonight in the dark unfortunately, although you can clearly see the long vertical scratch and the crack. Please mind the water spots... The pics were taken from my phone. To the touch,some areas feel rough, especially near the crack...meaning it probably wont get buffed out. Looking at it again, it may have been some sort of large truck with a grill or a car or truck with a bike rack holder on the back?? There seems to be a nice vertical line, although that could just be simple physics of impact and angle..

https://picasaweb.google.com/1090616...08565435489234

thats sucks bro. this happened to me last year. good luck with the fix
    2003 ABP DC5
    1983 Z28 Camaro
    D1GP/Formula Drift/JDM Allstars/Just Drift