just signed up!!!! now i need some help

This is a discussion on just signed up!!!! now i need some help within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; so here is what i got, i have an 06 sti that i have modded with injectors, frontmount, dom 3 ...

just signed up!!!! now i need some help

so here is what i got, i have an 06 sti that i have modded with injectors, frontmount, dom 3 turbo, full stainless exhuast. well i took it up to cali about a week ago and now i think the rings on the pistons are fried. it is smokin out of my oil catch can, also through my oil cap if i take it off. i, going to check the compression on it still but i think its going to be the rings.... so any edvise or has anyone had this problem before..?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by camerons06 View Post
    so here is what i got, i have an 06 sti that i have modded with injectors, frontmount, dom 3 turbo, full stainless exhuast. well i took it up to cali about a week ago and now i think the rings on the pistons are fried. it is smokin out of my oil catch can, also through my oil cap if i take it off. i, going to check the compression on it still but i think its going to be the rings.... so any edvise or has anyone had this problem before..?
    Not much help here...cept you sploded friend.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Did it happen after you filled up with California gas??

Coming from NM you probably have 92 or 93 octane pump gas I assume and therefore tuned for it and safe to run high boost targets. Well, many people forget California gas is CRAP and only 91octane at best. Need to watch your boost when filling with California gas or get a re-tune for it. I bet you got some crappy California gas and went a little heavy on the boost. You may be screwed now sorry.
    05 WRB STi
    GT3582R .63
    422 whp / 411wtq safe tune pump gas
    PRE

well it happend while i was up there and i was boosting 22 pounds up there. so i think i fried the rings and that is ture about the gas and i wasnt even thinking about it while i was up there.... i dont mind rebuilding the engine but i didnt think i would have to so soon, my car only has 47000 miles on it..

check the PCV valve, could be that its not venting the crankcase. Any CEL? Blown ring will usually show in the exhaust, not the crankcase
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    check the PCV valve, could be that its not venting the crankcase. Any CEL? Blown ring will usually show in the exhaust, not the crankcase
    ill have to check the pcv valve, didnt know that could make it smoke like that.. now what do you mean by cel?

Check engine light
    Stink eye mob #727

oh, no the check engine light isnt on but it did come on up in cali, but went off before i got to read the code. so i didnt get to see why it was on

It'll still have the code in memory, may be worth having it scanned
    Stink eye mob #727

I Support ClubWRX
    welcome... leak down and compression test.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Check out this great book if you are new to the WRX.
    Subaru Performance Handbook