Dumb question

This is a discussion on Dumb question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Stock oem hp vs. Actual hp, my car is from cali and I know they have strict emissions their. Any ...

Red face Dumb question

Stock oem hp vs. Actual hp, my car is from cali and I know they have strict emissions their. Any idea the hp of my 2008 WRX non sti...??
    Anything I can do for the most hp with the emissions, remove add??? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think you add in like 20% drive train loss to what Subaru puts for Hp at the crank.

I am not 100% sure on this.
    08 Sti, Stage 2 Protune.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Frstwrx View Post
    Stock oem hp vs. Actual hp, my car is from cali and I know they have strict emissions their. Any idea the hp of my 2008 WRX non sti...??
    Anything I can do for the most hp with the emissions, remove add??? Thanks
    Welcome.

Cali is in Colombia.

California emissions regulations are among the best in the US.

Drivetrain loss is substantial, so the numbers mentioned by the previous poster are IMO feasible.

See the link in my signature for info on modifications. Be aware that any modification to the intake, fueling, or exhaust that does not have a CARB exemption (plus sticker to show for it) is not legal in California. I see though that you are in AZ, so I don't know what affects you locally. Do you have emissions testing?

Enjoy the car, it's a nice choice.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Your advertised manufacturer horsepower is measured at the crank, at sea level under a set of guidelines set by the SAE. You'll find people who mod and dyno their cars talk in whp (wheel horse power). This is a percentage loss, and there isn't really an effective way to equate to chp.

2008 = ~235 chp / ~250 tq (?)

You'll see dramatically different numbers of whp reported by different types of dynos in different locations. Elevation places a huge part, temperature, humidity, etc... In my area a 2006 to 2008 WRX will put 175 hp/220 tq to the wheels on a Dyno Dynamics, STI's 220 hp/235 tq. Keep in mind the STI is rated at ~300 hp at the crank, at sea level. On a Dyno Jet at sea level expect those numbers to be higher, put the car on a Dynapack and the numbers are higher again. Then you have to consider the fact that some shops use correction factors for weather, or a custom correction factor to make a bigger number, etc...

A 2008 WRX with a turbo back exhaust and a tune can easily put down the same whp as an STI (stock) and much, much more wtq. Think relative gains rather than absolute numbers, a chassis dyno is just a tuning tool.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'