WRX vs STI
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs STI within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have tried to search for this. I currently have a VW GTI and moved to Canada and realized I ...

WRX vs STI

I have tried to search for this. I currently have a VW GTI and moved to Canada and realized I need something different. So what is better then getting a 2011 Subaru? So, I know the more expensive STI would be the way to go, but if the WRX is just as good as the STI with a couple of upgrades, is the WRX worth getting? Tell me what you think, since you are currently drivers of the 11's. Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

are you planning to take it to a track? if not, i say save the money and go with the WRX. The 2011 is just as good for everyday driving. one big difference is the trans: wrx is 5-speed, sti is 6.
    2011 WRX Premium 5dr SWP
    Stink Eye Mob #27

sti's have better brakes, drivetrain (esp. transmission), engine, supporting engine mods...

...you get a significant amount of important mods for WAYY under the price to do it yourself. If you have plans that involve a built engine, aftermarket turbo, aftermarket gearset, etc., you still might find an sti an easier starting point, but a wrx would suit you.

Basically, if you can afford it, and you'd want to put at least the difference of price into a wrx, get an sti.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Oh, well then thats not bad if thats the major thing is the transmission. Cause I figured with a couple of upgrades I can get it from 265hp to 305hp, and get the stabalizers to get it up to the .9 g's they say the STI has.

Yeah, like he said though, I just guess I need a daily driver.. I'm not going to any track meets. I just want a good car to go through the snow, and maybe a little fun on the side.

Someone also told me that Subaru's have problems with their transmissions to though, is that a myth?

if you launch a sube, the tranny will break. All that hp doesn't like to be sent great to the grippy ground (grippy with awd, at least). The weakest link is: smacking your rear axle against the body, and breaking your gears. As long as you master the good awd launch (read: starting easy), the tranny's will last forever.

The 5MT (dunno about the most recent ones, but I don't think they've changed) have wacky first gear synchros that don't actually let you downshift into first ever until you're stopped.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Alright thanks everyone for the insights, this seems like is a pretty good forum. Thank you again

Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man View Post
    if you launch a sube, the tranny will break. All that hp doesn't like to be sent great to the grippy ground (grippy with awd, at least). The weakest link is: smacking your rear axle against the body, and breaking your gears. As long as you master the good awd launch (read: starting easy), the tranny's will last forever.

The 5MT (dunno about the most recent ones, but I don't think they've changed) have wacky first gear synchros that don't actually let you downshift into first ever until you're stopped.
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is the proper way to launch an awd car, specifically the wrx?

I Support ClubWRX
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man View Post

Exactly. Don't be this guy.
    This is what happens when you think an STI can han - Car Videos on StreetFire
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Quote Originally Posted by Subaruski View Post
    Oh, well then thats not bad if thats the major thing is the transmission. Cause I figured with a couple of upgrades I can get it from 265hp to 305hp, and get the stabalizers to get it up to the .9 g's they say the STI has.
    Then you need to upgrade your brakes, the rest of the suspension, the turbo, intercooler, get a new engine map, new tranny and you end up with a car that's still not as good as an STI. Adding HP and swapping one suspension component put you far south of what an STI gets you.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Oh, I was told that the engines (along with turbo) are exactly the same, just the STI has a few better components... Either way, I think I am going to stick with just the WRX, just sucks here in Canada is $35,000

The engines are similar but the STI has some tweaks and is pushing a lil more boost. If you will ever take the car to a track then get an STI no question. The DCCD, brakes, and suspension are all very nice.

But for the average joe, the WRX is plenty fine and will save you a ton of money. I previously had a highly modded Evo 8 and even stepping down an easy 100+whp with the WRX I'm finding it just as fun but a WAY better daily driver. Although the suspension is rather poor but it sounds like you would be adding swaysbars at least which would help a great deal.

And even though the WRX is down 40hp on the STI, it's like 200lbs lighter which offsets that a bit. And it requires 1 less shift to get to 60mph if that matters.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

Hey guys I am purchasing a WRX or STI in the next few weeks and have been back and forth over which one to get. This will be my first car period since I come from desert pre-runner trucks.

I like that I can get 305hp without any mods from the STI and the brakes are dialed in from the factory. I dont want to buy a WRX and then mod it just to hang with an STI as I want more power down the road. I like the brake, fuel map, and power package straight from the factory.

I dont care about the 0-60 time since this isnt going to be a stop light street fighter I plan on DDing the car during the week and mixing it up on windy roads in the country on the weekends. I see track time in the future one day when I really know the car.

I have had a lot of trouble even finding STIs in Central Texas. Are they that rare across the country or just here?

Any other feedback or things I am not considering?
    Last edited by 06HAOLE; 03-06-2011 at 04:41 PM.

Being the higher end model the STI is less common than the WRX but I haven't heard of any shortages. If you're buying new then just check with some dealers...they can all order you one.

The STI is the better car in all aspects besides curb weight. So if you can afford one then go for it and you'll be pleased. I think you'll still be just as pleased with a WRX but that's your call. Saving $8k+ was a non-trivial bullet-point on my comparison checklist.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast