WRX vs STI - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on WRX vs STI within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by 06HAOLE Hey guys I am purchasing a WRX or STI in the next few weeks and have ...

Quote Originally Posted by 06HAOLE View Post
    Hey guys I am purchasing a WRX or STI in the next few weeks and have been back and forth over which one to get. This will be my first car period since I come from desert pre-runner trucks.
    I'm very confused by your last statement. How have you never owned a car, but run prerunner trucks? Do you mean you're a truck guy that's only had street trucks modified to be like a prerunner, or you've just had true prerunners?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I'm very confused by your last statement. How have you never owned a car, but run prerunner trucks? Do you mean you're a truck guy that's only had street trucks modified to be like a prerunner, or you've just had true prerunners?
    Im a truck guy that built a 2006 4x4 Tacoma into a desert pre-runner. Ive always had trucks and have never owned a car.
    Last edited by 06HAOLE; 03-06-2011 at 07:35 PM.

Since you've never had a true high-performance car, stick with the WRX.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Since you've never had a true high-performance car, stick with the WRX.
    Thanks for the input.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I made the choice in 07 to go WRX... Every day I would see STI's and wish I had bought one. Now I have a '11 STI and don't look back. Superior car in every aspect. For me, I thought the WRX's biggest problem was the breaking was just awful. The STI stops on a dime.

Also - many people talk about replacing the downpipe on the WRX and going stage 2 for STI performance. I did this (and more) on my 07 WRX. While it is true, I was emissions "illegal" and it stressed me out all the time. I do not know of a legal way to get a WRX to STI power since it always involved replacing the downpipe. Also - I know I put too much strain on the WRX transmission as I started developing grinding noises.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

I totally agree about the STI being the better car, but performance-wise the WRX isn't too far off. Stage 2 or not. Rough power-to-weight ratios are:

WRX 3150 lbs / 265 hp = 11.88
    STI 3375 lbs / 305 hp = 11.06

Take out the spare tire in the WRX and it jumps to 11.77. Within sneezing distance.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

Its really simple..

WRX= hot street car
    STI= TRACKABLE street legal car.

There are more differences than similarities between the two. What you buy should be determined by your wants/needs (not in that order) and wallet thickness.

Personally I wanted an STI .. but there was no way I'd pay that much for insurance on a (then) clean license. All I needed was a hot street car and the WRX is perfect for just that. Got over 40K mi on my 2010 now and I never tire of driving it. Ever. And I drive it like I stole it.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by anxiouz View Post
    I totally agree about the STI being the better car, but performance-wise the WRX isn't too far off. Stage 2 or not. Rough power-to-weight ratios are:

WRX 3150 lbs / 265 hp = 11.88
    STI 3375 lbs / 305 hp = 11.06

Take out the spare tire in the WRX and it jumps to 11.77. Within sneezing distance.
    Wow! I'd better go on a diet then! Every pound counts.

Thanks for all the great input here.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.