WRX vs STI - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on WRX vs STI within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by 06HAOLE Hey guys I am purchasing a WRX or STI in the next few weeks and have ...

Quote Originally Posted by 06HAOLE View Post
    Hey guys I am purchasing a WRX or STI in the next few weeks and have been back and forth over which one to get. This will be my first car period since I come from desert pre-runner trucks.
    I'm very confused by your last statement. How have you never owned a car, but run prerunner trucks? Do you mean you're a truck guy that's only had street trucks modified to be like a prerunner, or you've just had true prerunners?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I'm very confused by your last statement. How have you never owned a car, but run prerunner trucks? Do you mean you're a truck guy that's only had street trucks modified to be like a prerunner, or you've just had true prerunners?
    Im a truck guy that built a 2006 4x4 Tacoma into a desert pre-runner. Ive always had trucks and have never owned a car.
    Last edited by 06HAOLE; 03-06-2011 at 06:35 PM.

Since you've never had a true high-performance car, stick with the WRX.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Since you've never had a true high-performance car, stick with the WRX.
    Thanks for the input.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I made the choice in 07 to go WRX... Every day I would see STI's and wish I had bought one. Now I have a '11 STI and don't look back. Superior car in every aspect. For me, I thought the WRX's biggest problem was the breaking was just awful. The STI stops on a dime.

Also - many people talk about replacing the downpipe on the WRX and going stage 2 for STI performance. I did this (and more) on my 07 WRX. While it is true, I was emissions "illegal" and it stressed me out all the time. I do not know of a legal way to get a WRX to STI power since it always involved replacing the downpipe. Also - I know I put too much strain on the WRX transmission as I started developing grinding noises.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

I totally agree about the STI being the better car, but performance-wise the WRX isn't too far off. Stage 2 or not. Rough power-to-weight ratios are:

WRX 3150 lbs / 265 hp = 11.88
    STI 3375 lbs / 305 hp = 11.06

Take out the spare tire in the WRX and it jumps to 11.77. Within sneezing distance.
    Steve // 2008 Lexus IS-F // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

Its really simple..

WRX= hot street car
    STI= TRACKABLE street legal car.

There are more differences than similarities between the two. What you buy should be determined by your wants/needs (not in that order) and wallet thickness.

Personally I wanted an STI .. but there was no way I'd pay that much for insurance on a (then) clean license. All I needed was a hot street car and the WRX is perfect for just that. Got over 40K mi on my 2010 now and I never tire of driving it. Ever. And I drive it like I stole it.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by anxiouz View Post
    I totally agree about the STI being the better car, but performance-wise the WRX isn't too far off. Stage 2 or not. Rough power-to-weight ratios are:

WRX 3150 lbs / 265 hp = 11.88
    STI 3375 lbs / 305 hp = 11.06

Take out the spare tire in the WRX and it jumps to 11.77. Within sneezing distance.
    Wow! I'd better go on a diet then! Every pound counts.

Thanks for all the great input here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12